T-16 skyhopper

damon5973

anyone make the toy model that luke is holding of his T-16 skyhopper? I always thought it would be neat to have one of those..

if this doesnt belong in the SS threads..please move

I always thought this turned into the shuttle Tyderium (sp?)
Never knew there was a model of it... (As a skyhopper I mean.)

Years and years ago, I had a garage kit of the T-16 that I picked up at a SW show in Dallas. It wasn't bad, but it was kind of small if I remember right.
I can't remember who made it.

I created a garage kit of the skyhopper back in 1994-1995.

here is a picture of it built up- it was about 1/35 scale- -is this the one you got Superjedi?

Ti6.jpg

I also built a sketchbook version see below on the right

T16sketchbook.jpg

Last edited:
If I remember right, the toy looked pretty good- was it the same scale as Luke's model?

-Sarge

the toy had 2 parts and was not really as well made as I would want it...if that garage kit was a bit bigger it woudl be perfect..nice job!!

I know this thread is ages old but I am curious if this is the Skyhopper kit Superjedi picked up in Dallas way back in 1994-95

I created a garage kit of the skyhopper back in 1995.

here is a picture of it built up- it was about 1/35 scale- -is this the one you got Superjedi?

T16.jpg

I know this thread is ages old but I am curious if this is the Skyhopper kit Superjedi picked up in Dallas way back in 1994-95

Hi Pauley,
Wow, I missed your reply from Jan. :$
That sure looks like the one I got at that show in TX. Looks to be about the same size.
I don't know if you did the packaging and stuff for the kit, but I seem to remember it came in a brown cardboard box with a black and white picture stuck to the outside.

Hi Pauley,
Wow, I missed your reply from Jan. :$
That sure looks like the one I got at that show in TX. Looks to be about the same size.
I don't know if you did the packaging and stuff for the kit, but I seem to remember it came in a brown cardboard box with a black and white picture stuck to the outside.

Yep- that was it- only 25 or so got made- did you ever build it up??

I did build it up. I didn't do a highly detailed paint job on it, and I didn't know anything about do-it-yourself decals back then, so I hand painted the orangey markings, including those little "griffons" on the tail.
During the course of my Air Force career, it got damaged after a couple of moves and finally went to that big model graveyard in the sky.
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that was the very first garage kit I ever worked on.

Based on my best estimates in 1994 via VHS video still freeze frame captures- the model Mark Hamill was playing with in the garage scene looked to be about 1/35 scale. I didn't have the reference material we have today. Hence the belief that my T-16 garage kit was "studio scale".

Last edited:
This has always puzzled me - when was it mentioned that the model Luke plays with was of his T16? I always assumed that it was a model of some fancy sports model he dreamed of one day flying, rather than the same old thing he shoots wamp rats in. I figured the T16 was probably the one in the background in his workshop.

I figured the T16 was probably the one in the background in his workshop.

It is. You can see the 1:1 body of the ship in the background next to the walkway into the main part of the house.
The T-16 is included in the Star Wars Blueprints set that came out in 1978 (one page blueprint of the full size model - front, back and side views).

It is. You can see the 1:1 body of the ship in the background next to the walkway into the main part of the house.
The T-16 is included in the Star Wars Blueprints set that came out in 1978 (one page blueprint of the full size model - front, back and side views).

Really? I remember it as looking like a blue or green angular landspeeder-type vehicle. I'll have to go back for another look!

Really? I remember it as looking like a blue or green angular landspeeder-type vehicle. I'll have to go back for another look!

You're thinking of the Lars family speeder which is parked in the dark. The black speeder 3PO hides behind (it's painted white during the Tunisia shoot).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Lars_landspeeder.jpg

Here's Luke playing with the model size version of the T-16 (concept model built by Cantwell) with the full size one in the background (behind R2).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:LarsGarage.jpg

The walkway into the house runs right behind the T-16's engine exhaust.
The nose of the family speeder can be see on the far left.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back