Propatorium at Marscon 2008: in Minnesota, pictures page 4

OB10

Sr Member
Some of you were there last year, and it's happening again.

Marscon is in Bloomington, MN, from February 29 (Leap Day) through March 2. http://marscon.org/ten/index.php has a bit more information on the con.

Friday and Saturday Minnesota Jones, a few other RPFers and I will be hosting The Propatorium. A sort of once a year prop museum at a convention. Or a two day long prop party, if you want to think of it that way. So if anyone wants to visit tropical Minnesota during one of its' warmer times, feel free to stop on by! If you have anything you want to show off, bring it! Otherwise, look at all the other cool stuff there is to see! Come for the props, stay for the prop panels and parties.

There are a few pictures from last years Propatorium here:
http://www.minnesotajones.com/Marscon_2007.htm
and
http://www.davethegrumpytech.com/prop/marscon07/propatorium.html (Thanks, Neosporing!)

Obi-Bob

Last edited:
Re: Propatorium at Marscon 2008

I too will be there. I'll even be there Friday this year, instead of just Saturday/night.

Hope you're bringing enough beer Bob. ;)

Russ

dsc_0233.jpg

was trying to paint water with the broom and it stuck instantly to the side of the house, then this wampa appeared...

(two toys scored at last years marscon)

What is this "enough beer" of which you speak? I don't think there is "enough." :cheers Isn't that sort of like those imaginary numbers, like the square root of negative one? I maaaaay have enough of The Admiral, but again, what is "enough"? Too bad Jobi may be too busy getting a year older to hang with us..... ;)

So, Neo, you'll let us know when the, um, ice cave collapses? This currect weather should keep everything where it is for another couple months.

Hey, if my calculations are correct, this is my most ominous post number ever! I was even planning on bragging on it in the Off Topic program. Heh, heh!

Obi-Bob

Sadly...I have had to do the storage thing again...my living situation has changed so I really don't have anything to contribute this year :confused Well, maybe I could bring my new MR Luke ROTJ saber...and oh yah, I could maybe bring my new MR Fett helmet. And if you twist my arm maybe I will bring my new MR Stormie helmet :lol No kidding...this is about all the room I have for my stuff...a couple of helmets and light saber :wacko Storage sucks!! I might as well be sitting behind three inch glass and talking on a phone :lol Ohh...the seperation is unbearable :cry And sorry about not being much for conversation lately but I have been sooo busy with my sketch cards for TOPPS...I am just finishing up my Indiana Jones contribution with nothing down the road (at this moment) so I will be free to hang out with you guys for the weekend :love Scott...I am looking forward to lifting a few with ya!! Dude, liquid refreshment is just what I need right now...remember...? :)sick) :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Later!!

And sorry about not being much for conversation lately but I have been sooo busy with my sketch cards for TOPPS...I am just finishing up my Indiana Jones contribution with nothing down the road (at this moment)
It's all good Kev! Love to see the latest stuff you've been working on man, bring some samples to Marscon if you can! :)

I will be free to hang out with you guys for the weekend , Scott...I am looking forward to lifting a few with ya!! Dude, liquid refreshment is just what I need right now...remember...? :)sick) :lol:lol:lol
:lol:lol:lol

Sounds great, I'll be there the whole weekend, I'll keep the cooler full for ya!! :cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

-Ss

Ooh, i may be interested in participating in this....

I've been going to MarsCon for four years now, first as a dealer, then a costumer (Jedi), and now maybe a prop...guy.

Anyway, I have a collection of Batman Begins/TDK stuff, some Star Wars statues and replicas, a MR rocketer helmet, a few UC LOTR items, and most of the KONG stuff Weta made as well as a few other random items. I don't know what would be practical to bring, or whether I'd want to risk damage, but it may be fun to have a few things on display.

Will this thing be setup on that Friday, or is there an earlier time to bring the stuff in? I most likely wouldn't be there on Friday until later in the evening. Also, is there any list out there are far as what others are bringing? I wouldn't want to duplicate something someone else is bringing.

Also, it's great to see you're still around, Kevin!
I don't think I've seen you since the portfolio reveiws at C4. I'm glad to hear your working on some Lucasfilm stuff:thumbsup, I'll definitely need to see the portfolio at MarsCon.

Dave

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to mention what we're planning on bringing, so to avoid any overlap (or an excessive amount of overlap anyway :D ).

I don't know if Mike (Minnesota Jones) is a member here, but last year he brought most of his Indy props, as well as a huge collection of what I believe were Sideshow 12" Star Wars statues.

I'm planning on displaying...

Ghostbusters Proton Pack
Starship Troopers Mobile Infantry uniform/Armor (modeled by "Polly... Poly Vinyl. :D )
Alien's USCM helmet and possibly a video monitor.
Space: Above And Beyond paper props
Robocop Auto-9.

Possibles:

Starship Troopers Jumpball uniform.
Space: Above And Beyond uniform.

Russ

I'm in :thumbsup Hey Scott, see that you were letting some of your stuff go...are ya hangin' onto some things or are ya off into somethin else?

Hey ya Dave...nice to hear from you :) Things have been a little tight lately with the sketch card stuff but I think that I finally have a handle on it. Just finished up on the INDY set, now I'm gearing up for the Indy 4 set due out in May. I will have to fill you in at the Con.

~Kevin

Geez, I don't go on the board for a few days, and all sorts of things happen! :lol

Since the con is only a couple weeks away, could those who are planning on coming and showing their toys let me know who's coming and what they're bringing? Either post here, or send me a PM or email. If we get enough people and Cool Things, I won't bring as much of my second rate junk. :) You can certainly bring your stuff at the last minute, without "RSVP"ing, but it'll be handy to know about how much space will be used.

Dterres, glad to hear that you'll be coming, too! If you want to give me your email address, the local RPF has been emailing back and forth to keep everyone up on what's going on.

Mike (MNJones) and I'll be there Thursday night, hauling in our stuff and getting the room set up, so if anyone wants to get their props moved in before the con starts, we can take care of it then.

This year we are planning on having name tags with all the props, to explain what it is, who made it (if known), whether or not it's screen used, etc. (It should help out the "civilians", and maybe us, sometimes, too.) We had those last year, but I don't think they were used. MR and some others have nice little plaques, so we wouldn't really need anything more for those. Mike wrote up a couple paragraphs on a bunch of his Indy gear last year, so if you have a lot you want to explain, go ahead!

And new this year, Saturday afternoon, we'll be having a tour of the Propatorium. Propatourium? So anyone and everyone who's interested can find out what's on display, and the makers/owners can tell what they know of their stuff.

And Kevin, if you're tired of having all your stuff in storage, I can give them all a nice warm home!

Obi-Bob

I'm in Hey Scott, see that you were letting some of your stuff go...are ya hangin' onto some things or are ya off into somethin else?
Not really Kev, just decided to re-focus a bit more on ANH stuff, and maybe just tidbits of ESB and ROTJ stuff. Never enough room for it all is what it comes down to, and I'm not a big fan of the "cluttered collection" look, so it will be better in someone elses hands as opposed to a box somewhere in my garage :p

Still waiting to see exactly what I'll have available Bob, I'll let you guys know as soon as I can! :)

-Ss

Okay, I've dug through some stuff, and here's what I plan on bringing -

For Star Wars, judging from last year's show, there will probably be a good supply of Master Replicas and Gentle Giant stuff, so I thought I'd bring a few older items that I don't have space to display at home-
CinemaCast Vader statue
CinemaCast Pewter Luke & Leia statue
ICONS Skywalker Saber
Applause Han in Carbonite statue
Ridell Boba Fett Mini Helmet

...and maybe a few other things, we'll see

I'll be bringing a few Batman items, some movie-related, some comic-based-
Batman Begins Batarang Replica
Batman Begins Batmobile statue
Batman Begins screen used Batcave Bat prop
The Dark Knight Joker goon mask (SDCC A.R.G)
The Dark Knight Joker Card (SDCC A.R.G)
The Dark Knight Joker Dollar (SDCC A.R.G)
Home-Made Jim Gordon's Joker evidence file (yet to be finished)
DC Direct Scaled Bat-Signal prop
DC Direct Batman's Utility Belt

I also collect some of the United Cutlery Lord of the Rings props and will be bringing a couple to look at-
UC Elven Warrior Helm (I have the matching shield too, but I don't think that would display well at the show, so I probably will not bring it)
UC Battle Axe of Gimili

I'll probably bring a few of the KONG collectables made by Weta...at least the ones that are not TOO big-
Weta scaled Kong, V-Rex, Venatosaurus, and Ferrucutus Skulls
I'm also working on a Skull Island map, I may bring that as well.

Lastly, a few Disney-realted items-
Master Replica Rocketeer helmet
Disney Parks POTC Prison Cell keys

That's it for now, things may change in time before the show, but that's a good idea of what I'll be bringing.

Dave

I don't know exactly when, or what if anything I will be bringing, but i will actually (at the least) ATTEND this year.

Lookin' forward to it, too!
:)
-Tony

Re: Propatorium at Marscon 2008: Feb 29 - March 2 in Minnesota

Holy cats, Dave, that sounds like a good set of stuff! :eek That'll be cool to see live an in person! Is that Han in Carbonite the full sized one? All I got was the one that came with the 12" figure......

And glad to hear you can make it, Tony! It'll be good to see you again. Even if you don't break stuff out of the Batvault. :D

Obi-Bob

Holy cats, Dave, that sounds like a good set of stuff! :eek That'll be cool to see live an in person! Is that Han in Carbonite the full sized one? All I got was the one that came with the 12" figure......

And glad to hear you can make it, Tony! It'll be good to see you again. Even if you don't break stuff out of the Batvault. :D

Obi-Bob

The full-sized Han in Carbonite? Like life-sized? No, but I wish I had THAT to bring! Actually, it was from a series of high-end statues that Applause produced around the time of the Special Editions. The scale is probably close to..hmm, maybe a McFarlane figure. I can't really remember since I haven't had it out of the box in over five years. It also features Leia Boushh and has a neat little light that lights Han quite dramatically (that is, if the light still works).

I forgot to mention I'll also be bringing a SDCC Exclusive mini WETA Raygun. If you haven't seen the fullsize versions, they're quite spectacular. Unfortunately, the SDCC gun is quite small, only a few inches in length.
Still, it's pretty neat to look at...with a magnifying glass :lol

One week from today bump! :D

Yeah, the 1:1 scale Han in Carbonite would be cool. Kevin used to have one. Beaucool! I don't know if I've seen the smaller one, but it sounds familiar. Looking forward to seeing the raygun, too!

Obi-Bob

Wasn't there a 1:6 scale HICarbonite offered on the RPF a few years back?
It looked cool as I recall, but I couldn't afford it at that time.

Russ

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back