There has to be something better - TOS Shuttlecraft build

Well, I THINK I'm about done, lol. She's about 22 inches long and about 13 inches wide. All of the interior and stand lighting is LED with the exception of the rear implulse engines which are cold cathode. All 12 volts. Still just a little touch-up here and there but I'll be moving her into the house here shortly. Thanks for all of the kind words and here are a few last beauty shots:

DSC01912.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01926.jpg

DSC01927.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

DSC01932.jpg

Where it's spent the last few years, lol

Basically it's the end of my two year odyssey to build the ship that I've always loved. I am very happy with the end result (much more than my wife, lol). Thanks Bruce for the resin triangles!!!!!

Will

Last edited:
Wow, that's just stunning.

I'm currently working on the Randy Cooper version of the Galileo, and this thread has been quite an inspiration.

Like you, I've decided to forego the interior, but I like the way you've achieved a soft, even lighting effect. Could you talk a little bit about how you treated the windows (fogged, I assume), and also what sort of technique you used to diffuse the light within the cabin?

Again, congratulations on a beautiful miniature. About time someone did this subject justice!

:thumbsup

I was tempted to get the RC version myself; it's a nice kit. I'll be happy to tell you what I did for the lighting. The entire model is powered via a 12 volt transformer. I used a 1/4" audio plug on the end of the tube that I used for the stand (just like the MR Enterprise). That way it's easy just to lift the model off the stand. On the front section I used "warm white" LEDs set back I think about 6 inches (they are 35 degree LEDs so I moved them back so that the spread was wide enough at the windows to cover the whole thing. I can't remember exactly how far back but it should be easy enough to figure out). Here is the link for the LEDs I used.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/WW7035_specs.htm

For the windows on the front and back I just used clear acrylic and sprayed it with dullcote. Originally I installed 3 LEDs in the front but they didn't put out enough light so I added 3 additional LEDs. I know this looks like crap but here is what it looked like:
DSC01303.jpg

After I installed the LED array I did use a difussor to soften and even out the lighting. I hate to say this but I used a bottle from rubbing alcohol (I'm always looking for stuff around the house I can use, lol) for the difussor. It looks like crap but it worked out great. This is what it looked like:
DSC01311.jpg

and lit:
DSC01312.jpg

On the back impulse engines I used 4 - 4" white cold cathodes. I cut a hole in the mid-plate so that the transformers could sit down in the bottom of the hull. I also used the "alcohol bottle diffusor" here (sorry no photos, lol). On both the front and the back I used aluminum foil for reflection. Here is the back which looked better when I finished it, lol. I also used aluminum tape on the inside of the top for refection. If I would have thought about it first I would have use that everywhere instead of the aluminum foil. It worked out fine though. The tape was simple duct tape but the metal kind.
DSC01304.jpg

Again as you can see I moved the lighting back pretty far so that the light would envolpe the entire back area. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else to help and make sure to post pix of your build. I've been waiting for some of the RC Galileo's to show up.

Will

Last edited:
Thanks, Will. That's exactly the sort of "inside scoop" I was looking for.

Love the alcohol bottle! Whatever works, right?

One thing I learned from the modeling pros; in those areas hidden from view NEATNESS DOES NOT COUNT.

I'll be in a good place to post WIP pix of my shuttle in a week or so. Hafta say though, you've set the bar pretty high.

Last edited:
Thanks. I feel like amateur here with all of the talent at RPF, lol. I was going for the TOS vibe on the stand. Originally I was going to try to go with a hangar bay theme with the turn-table but I can't remember why I decided against it. I'm sure scale had something to do with it. Here are a few more parting shots, lol.

DSC01908.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

Will

Last edited:
Just for fun!!

"He jettisoned the fuel and ignited it!"
ShuttlePictureComposit3.jpg

Thanks for all of the support and advice!!!

Will

Last edited:
Thanks. I feel like amateur here with all of the talent at RPF, lol. I was going for the TOS vibe on the stand. Originally I was going to try to go with a hangar bay theme with the turn-table but I can't remember why I decided against it. I'm sure scale had something to do with it. Here are a few more parting shots, lol.

DSC01908.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

Will
This is pure genius!!! I'm not a trekkie,but this is fantastic! Thank you VERY MUCH for sharing this with us Feek! ~ Doobie

I know that this is an old thread,but I felt that this needed to be seen by all the newbies here,not just me! This is brilliant! Definately NOT the work of an amatuer!!!

Wow, surprised to see this again!! Thanks for reviving this and for the compliment. Let's just say I was an amatuer when I started. lol

I'm happy to report that the Galileo is doing nicely on top of the book shelf and after seeing this I think I'll have to turn it on!!! :)

Will

How did you light this so realistically????? :confused How?!! :confused I'm completely blown away by this!!! It's too cool for words!!! I agree with TPZ!! This would look GREAT on my shelf! Or,rather this would look GREAT on anyones' shelf,or shop!

Last edited:
Ok then send me you guys addreses and I'll send you both a copy!

As far as the lighting goes I just went with what looked right to me. I thought that the blueish white would look good for the impulse drive and the warm white in the cockpit would replicate the incandesant lighting of the original. The engines were just based on the Enterprise warp engines since the shuttlecraft really didn't have any lighting there. Glad you guys like her!! I miss working on it; I spent so many years off & on working on the thing. The projects that I do now don't take much time . . . I almost feel like I'm being cheated! I almost wish I would build another one before I forget how to over-come all of the problems! :lol

Thanks again for looking and for the compliments! Truth be told owning this thing is the fulfillment of a 40 year old dream. I loved the thing when I first saw it on the screen and every morning when I wake-up and it's sitting on top of the bookshelf it makes me happy. I guess I'm just a pitiful loser, lol.

Will

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back