There has to be something better - TOS Shuttlecraft build

No doubt the gear was connected to the hull; I was talking only about the pad itself. This picture confuses me
Galileo_Construction_06-1.jpg

Here it does not appear to be attached.

Here is the only picture that I've found that shows the landing pad in the same configuration as the miniature:
Galileo_Construction_12-1.jpg

Ok, In all that time in the 1970s while the Galileo was just a few blocks from your house did you take any photos? Phil Broads work is excellent!!!! I've admired his drawings for years, lol.

Will

Last edited:
No doubt the gear was connected to the hull; I was talking only about the pad itself.

I misunderstood your original post. In any case, when last I saw the full scale mock-up in person the pad was permanently connected in non-miniature configuration.

In all that time in the 1970s while the Galileo was just a few blocks from your house did you take any photos?

Oh yeah, we took a bunch. I've got them stashed away somewhere. The trick would be laying my hands on them at this late date.

When I was in Junior High the shuttle served as a sort of clubhouse for my friends and I. Not to get uncomfortably personal, but I smoked my first joint and made out with my first girlfriend inside that thing, and to this day I have a strong sentimental attachment to the old girl (the shuttle, not the ex-girlfriend). Yours is probably the nicest build-up of this ship I've come across.

Phil Broads work is excellent!!!! I've admired his drawings for years, lol.

I'm sure he'd appreciate the comment. I'll shoot him an email re: this thread, because if he hasn't already seen it I'm sure he'd get a kick out of viewing your handiwork.

Did the nacelle pads retract too?

No, not on the pewter replica (if that’s what you’re referring to). BTW Dave, I was pleased to see that Randy is finally tackling this subject. I've already contacted him about getting one.

Last edited:
Carson, thanks for the compliments and your story about the shuttlecraft is REALLY cool. It's like the dream of the 70's; getting high and making out inside the shuttlecraft Galileo :lol How cool is that!!!!

I would really love to see your photos. I live on the east coast and the shuttlecraft never made it over here (although in the 70's my friends and I were going to build a Galileo pontoon boat . . . to get high and make-out in, lol) You are lucky to be able to do it (pun intended) in the real deal! Anyway, post the photos if you can I'd love to see them

Will

I have not had much time for this project, however, last night I was able to assemble the warp engine effect. Basically I made the entire unit to where it would just slide right into the engine housing and it works great. Here is a photo of the assembled unit (the grey tube is a cut-off of the engine tube; it's just there for test fitting) next to the parts for the other side. I did end up having to redo the fan blades which were red because when it was assembled the LEDs were too bright and you kind of lost the fans. So now they are black, lol.

DSC01238.jpg

Burning in the engines to make sure I don't have a dud. Boy, it's looks pretty cool if I say so myself. I'm glad I went ahead and broke from the real miniature (which had no lighting on the warp engines) and did the warp effect. After I burn the motors in for a while I'll assemble the beast and then finish the decals.
DSC01322.jpg

Last edited:
Still putting together the warp engines here is a little video:

I have not attached the frosted outter dome (that's why I'm holding it on, lol)

I made the warp engine so that they are removeable units. It would be impossilbe to pull the motors out once they are pushed in so I've epoxied a nut to the face so that a screw can be inserted and the unit pulled out.
DSC01343.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

The shaft has a threaded rod so that the dome with the fan blades can be attached after the unit is in place.
DSC01349.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

It's pretty easy to slide out the motor unit if for some reason it needs to be repaired or replaced. I think what I'm going to do is to go ahead a do a insert with just a white light to match the studio version. That way I can have my cake and eat it too, lol. It'll look something like this:
EnterpriseIncidentCredit.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what a keen project. Now you just need to make giant ape people to throw rocks and spears at it!

I love the warp nacelle effect (modeled after the ship nacelle lighting effects -- I always thought the original shuttlecraft should have featured these, too, which I'm sure it would have if they only had the time/money when the original series was made.

FANTASTIC work -- thanks for sharing the pics!

Just wanted to add a few beauty shots. Not quite done yet but she's looking fine.
zSide3.jpg

zside2.jpg

zside.jpg

DSC01374.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

Here is a video of the completed warp effect:

Last edited:
Thanks, yes I HAVE lost your address!!! Here is another in all her glory (although I still have a ton of touch-up and finishing work to do, I just can't quit looking at her ass lit up, lol)
DSC01401.jpg

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01396.jpg

DSC01397.jpg

Don't worry about the flaws. I promise they will all be fixed!!!! I have been remodeling the house and have barely had time to do anything on this.

DSC01407.jpg

I'm planning on doing a cool TOS style stand complete with those clear-colored triangle lights (thanks Bruce) on black acrylic. The stand it's on it only temporary while I work on it.

Will

Last edited:
I replaced the interior lighting for the front so of course I took some more pictures :lol

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

This baby is just under 24" long. Many people have contacted me about a kit and honestly maybe down the road if anyone is still interested one will be offered. However, there is a 12" version being offered by Randy Cooper who I do not know but seems to be quite a craftsman. His version can be found here:

http://randycooper.blogspot.com/

The thread is here:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=43609

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back