HALO Master Chief Costume Progress Thread (helmet rebuild begins on p.19)

Re: HALOween 2008 costume started.

WOW!! That is awesome. This process is great fun to see. Thanks for showing it. (y)thumbsup

Totally off topic but...

1. is your work shop on board a ship?

2. I thought it was funny and ironic that in the early pictures your wearing a Maritime College jumpsuit and then switch to an Old Navy fleece in later pictures. Being ex-navy myself and having to wear navy uniforms on a daily basis I chuckle when I see Old Navy stuff.

Halo stuff looks awesome by the way.

-Ash

I live on a sailboat, so late at night I'm doing all of the clean parts (i.e. papercrafting) on board. I do all of the dirty, dusty, sticky, or smelly parts in my woodshop ashore.

I graduated from Maritime College and spent six years on active duty in the Navy. I never buy stuff that says Old Navy on it, but for some reason it finds its way into my life all the same.

looking great.

i made the same mistake you did and currently have a child sized paper model, what did you scale yours up to?

I'm 5'8" tall with a 40" chest measurement. The torso tester was scaled up to a built height of 42cm according to Pepakura.

In other news, it was an easy day today. All I got done was a bit more tinkering with some of the details. I still have to clean up the lines for the brim details, but I think they worked out okay.

DetailsandSecondPrimer004.jpg

Last edited:

So now that I'm in the minor detail portion of the project, progress seems to be very slow. Yesterday I added the hose inserts for the cheeks and scored some of the grooves on the top and sides of the helmet.

Now I've got to add the rest of the details around the back of the neck and straighten out some of my bondo work and it will be ready for molding.

DetailsandThirdPrimer002.jpg

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

holy crap!!!! i found my next project!!! how much did it cost you to make that??? awesome work

holy crap!!!! i found my next project!!! how much did it cost you to make that??? awesome work

So far I'm looking at less than $150 or so. I haven't been keeping track, but I'd say that's about right. That price includes 3 motorcycle visors and the registration fee for my copy of Pepakura software. Of course, there are a lot of parts that I already had on hand, so that made it a lot cheaper.

So far I'm looking at less than $150 or so. I haven't been keeping track, but I'd say that's about right. That price includes 3 motorcycle visors and the registration fee for my copy of Pepakura software. Of course, there are a lot of parts that I already had on hand, so that made it a lot cheaper.
whoa! i was expecting alot more, i have only seen the nightmare armor and thats $3000, will the pepakura have the look of nightmare armor or fiberglass, i guess what i am asking will it match whats in game, and durable or wobbily paper?

AWESOME JOB!!!

whoa! i was expecting alot more, i have only seen the nightmare armor and thats $3000, will the pepakura have the look of nightmare armor or fiberglass, i guess what i am asking will it match whats in game, and durable or wobbily paper?

AWESOME JOB!!!

When I'm done with the project, I'll be casting copies of the helmet in resin and they'll be as durable as any other resin cast parts you see around here.

The paper armor itself can be reinforced with all sorts of things to make it hold up better. In this case I saturated the paper helmet with fiberglass resin to make it sturdier and then layered the inside with casting resin to make it strong enoug to sand and shape.

Quick update. Mostly I just finalized the details around the back of the nec, and then, just for a preview's sake, I primed it and put a very light coat of olive drab on top.

ColorTest005.jpg

ColorTest004.jpg

Stay tuned.

That thing's looking great! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been inspired by those pics to build one. A quick question, though. How did you scale it up? Thanks.
-Zach

So I'm done with 9 of the 14 steps I'll take to paint the finished helmet:
Visortesting001.jpg

I made a paper visor template to get an idea of exactly what it will look like when I've got the whole thing put together. The final visor will be gold:
Visortesting011.jpg

I've also decided that I don't need to keep painting the prototype and I'll be making molds soon.

Next step, blue sticky goo.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Every time I check the progress on this thread I am simply more and more amazed at the detail. And all this from some paper cut outs! That's the clincher.

Sweet. I have been surfing the 405th site and this is easily the best one I have seen. You have inspired me to try this method, when I get further I may start a thread. No where near your level though but it's something to aspire to.

best pep helm I've seen since MLGs (is that his name?)

Glad people are exploring this method, makes for better and better halo props.

Well all I can say is, that is absolutely beautiful! Talk about a great way of making game props. I had seen this done before, but never the finished product. I'm going to have a go at this myself after seeing yours, thanks for the cool thread Thorssoli!

Take care

I finally came up with a visor concept that I think faithfully replicates the look I'm going for:
Visortestingagain011.jpg

Essentially, it's a gold-tint motorcycle face shield with a .015" thick, clear styrene cutout laid over the top of it. I think it looks the part:

Visortestingagain018.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back