Good Titanic 'Heart of the Ocean' replicas?

ob1al

Sr Member
Titanic, heart of the ocean prop:

There are always several on eBay but comparing them to screengrabs, none look accurate to the screen used prop.

Is a resonably priced replica out there, accurate to the movie prop? Was there ever a licensed replica?

Thanks!

Al

I remember there being a TON available when the movie came out. At the time, I wasn't very interested in props, so I didn't pay particular attention (though I'm REALLY into the Titanic, since 1986!).

Generally speaking, you can find ones that are close, but the diamond is too bright. Asprey & Garrard made a real one, accurate to the film, and sold for $2.2 million.

Your best bet for accuracy is to try to find a J. Peterman replica.
(As seen here: http://www.magiclegends.com/titanicmemorabilia.html

You can find some additional info here:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25971.asp

There's a "pretty close" here: http://www.birthdaypapers.com/titanic-necklace-heart-of-the-ocean-30-p.asp

Otherwise, there's a Peterman replica on eBay:
As per the COC,
The following is NOT allowed to be included in any post/thread on the RPF: i. live or pending auctions unless they are for your own items and are posted in The Junkyard to promote your sale
link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

The Birthdaypapers version looks pretty accurate for the money (£35 shipped) - I'll probably go with that.

In July 2005 I was at the gift shop at RFox NBaja Studios and they had one in the $100 - $200 range. May have been the Peterman versionl; not sure.

As much as I really want to look in horrified disgust at the products being hawked to make money off the disaster.... the Titanic buff in me is enjoying putting togeather the model of the ship, the blueprints on my wall, along with all the other paper recreations I have.

Anywhoo.... The Doctor Who Christmas special, "Voyage of the Damned", was pretty awsome (it involved a Titanic).

Have you looked at the pictures of the $20 vs. the $130 one? They are the same picture. I wonder what the dirrerences are? Are they just made out of different materials but look identical??
Thanks, Tom

In my search for a good replica, the biggest difference I have noticed so far is the 'clasp' setion just above the heart. All of the cheaper replicas are missing the large diamond where the two sides of the chain meet.

Here's the accurate JPeterman version:

60e81ma2.jpg

And a typical example of one of the cheaper replicas:

64344517opi7.jpg

The cheaper replicas look nice, but there are many innacuracies compared the original design, as can be seen in the pics.

I'm still looking for a replica which comes close, without the excessive pricetag of the JPeterman version.

You'll notice a couple of details that are different, the pear shaped larger diamond, there is also a smaller round diamond below that........the original has a straight row of white diamonds across the "split" of the heart shaped blue diamond..............the cheaper ones follow the split. Also the chain is different in that all the diamonds are supposed to be set in round white gold settings with no visible links between the white gold settings.

All these details are the reason I dislike the cheaper replicas. I tried but missed scoring the JPeterman replica and now it's ridiculously high. Too rich for my blood. Nothing will ever be as good as the JPeterman version though.

Dave :)

The Titanic in Branson is a museum: http://www.titanicbranson.com/about_titanic.php

Dunno why they chose that location, specifically.

Dave - yeah, too many differences to sit well with my prop geek mentality. I'd also love to own an accurate JP version, but they are so scarce now and when they do become available, it's hard to justify the hugely inflated prices. I think they were $200 when they were available from JP's - that would have been an acceptable price I guess, but 4, 5...it's a lot to pay for a piece of fake jewelry...

Drago! Yes, if you go, please let us know the difference of the two versions!

I thought the same thing about the pic of the $20 version...

-- Tim

Yeah - according to the JPeterman blurb:

The deep ocean blue sapphire crystal heart pendant measures 1 3/4" from the top to the bottom of the heart. The substantial mounting is surrounded with more beautiful crystals. The chain is 18" long & composed of brilliant channel set crystals. The clasp is a bar style which is set with two tiny brilliant crystals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a JPeterman version (my mom bought it in one of shopping stints) I'll see if I can get you some photos of it.

D>

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back