New steampunk-themed Nerf gun

Anima

A commission I took recently for a steampunk Nerf gun.

2127021812_2f9f83059f.jpg

2126244867_3bf5b23cfc.jpg

2126245325_ced07d965f.jpg

2126246155_5918dbdc01.jpg

The alchemic-injector assembly screws off for easier carrying. Air restrictors removed, Russian Roulette mod completed. Chambered for .50 cal 2800 joule tunnelers. Do not attempt to recharge DeBrenner flask! See your licensed alchemical weapons dealer for all recharging and maintenance. Philosopher Stone compatibility not tested.

(The odd bit on the back of the slide was my reward for not washing the plastic well enough prior to painting. It created a bit of a hammered-copper look though, so I left it in lieu of sanding and re-painting.)

More photos of this gun and others here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/animakitty/sets/72157594241541170/

I like the leather on the grip and the tube/vial attachment, but (for me) the paint job is too "flat"... A dark wash and some details (leaking, rust, etc) will improve this piece a lot!
;)

-EDIT-
Something like this:
82xevj8.jpg

Last edited:
2126246155_5918dbdc01.jpg

(The odd bit on the back of the slide was my reward for not washing the plastic well enough prior to painting. It created a bit of a hammered-copper look though, so I left it in lieu of sanding and re-painting.)

My Maverick did the same thing when i painted it, even with washing. Should have soaked it in dish washing soap and then thrown it in the dish washer instead of just quickly rinsing with soap and water. I was in a hurry... Oh well.

Washing with soap and water had always been enough before, though I also lightly sand each piece all over. I'd never run it through the dishwasher for fear of the hot water warping the plastic.

Ramiel: You're right, aging/distressing it like that would've helped it out a lot. I did smear some grease on it here and there before clear-coating it, but obviously I shouldn't have been such a pansy. Too late to do anything more to it now; it went into the mail Monday.

Cool! :thumbsup

I have the exact same gun all taken apart, sanded and primed, and still trying to decide how to paint it. This gives me some ideas.

Cool! :thumbsup

I have the exact same gun all taken apart, sanded and primed, and still trying to decide how to paint it. This gives me some ideas.

I wrote a guide that may help. It whores vinyl dye, mainly, which isn't an option if you've already primed the gun... The Metalcast paints are quite nice though. Personally I don't recommend the Rustoleum metallic brass, but their copper is nice enough.

http://www.tinhnerf.com/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=45&sid=34f935d53548f072341e9414398bc056

I heard back from the recipient of this gun. Apparently one of the pieces fell off during shipping. I'm disappointed with the bonding power of JB weld. This is the third time it's failed to perform even as well as super glue. Perhaps it just doesn't work well with plastics.

I have found that JB weld doesn't work well on any surface unless it's a bit scuffed up and in the case of nerf plastics, it needs to be guaged up where you apply the weld or it won't hold.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back