The Shining Photo

jheilman

Sr Member
I was recently looking though my paper props collection when I noticed the final shot from The Shining. I downloaded the famous pic a while back from a prop forum and since I now have the DVD, I decided to compare the quality of the downloaded file with DVD screen caps. Well, the file I downloaded was seriously lacking in quality, so I decided to create my own. I did a series of screen caps on the final zoom in on the photo and then joined about 8 separate pics together in Photoshop. I think the final result is certainly print-worthy and plan to send the file off to my local vendor to have a couple decent photos made. Opinions please. Unless someone has access to the actual photo from the film, I'd like to know how you can get a better result. And, I'd certainly like to see the file...please. http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/graphics/ShiningPicture300DPI.jpg

Last edited:
I shed a tear when I linked to your file - I'd recently won one off eBay for over $20, and while I hope it compares well to yours, I could have saved $19.99 had I waited 3 weeks! :cry

Those who seek the Ballroom photo on eBay, beware: one regular seller ("terrifying-treasures") offers a cropped version that doesn't include the entire lady on the RHS or the blurred gentleman on the LHS. His competitor, "Stargodz," sells the full uncropped version you posted - that's the one I got.

All I can say then is thanks for posting the file - I'll let you know if it's sharper than the one I received from eBay once I print it out using "Best" quality on glossy photo paper...

Cheers!

- Prisoner 655321

I see some areas that can stand improving in mine. It will have to wait till after holiday traveling. In a week, it will be better.

Once the HD version of The Shining comes out, this project should be revisitied! Your version looks great though! Can't wait to print it out. What's the 'official' size supposed to be of the photo?

Once the HD version of The Shining comes out, this project should be revisitied! Your version looks great though! Can't wait to print it out. What's the 'official' size supposed to be of the photo?

It's already out. Came out on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray a few weeks ago.

I dunno, man.

Odd things keep happening when I try and print this photo.

I appreciate the effort just the same. See for yourself.

Last edited:
I'm assuming it is an 8x10. The proportions are correct for that size.

Rylo - "You are the caretaker now. You've always been the caretaker. I should know sir, because I've always been here." :lol

If anyone would care to forward me screencaps from the HD version, I will gladly receate this and post it. As for now, I've reworked the file paying more attention to the blending of layers. I've edited the first post with the new link and here it is again.

http://www.metropolisgrafix.com/graphics/ShiningPicture300DPI.jpg

I'd still love to hear the comparison with the recently purchased pic from eBay when it arrives.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! Those show the frame nicely. I hope someone will grab these and blend them to make a new final version.

Until the 1080p version comes along!

I never noticed it before, but Jack has something in his hand. Anyone know what it is? A room key? Anything of significance?

Cordially,
MM

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back