Medical Frigate part ID help

hello everyone, I sent an email to the modelers who built the model that is in the video, asked about the identity of the original part, they were very cooperative.
sending the literal answer, they sent me... Quote "I did that myself, by hand. But probably from my observation, this is a filter from the aquarium, from those years "

It MAY be idealized - however, it doesn't mean it isn't the right direction. Has anybody researched for vintage aquarium filters or aerators (sp?)?

Didnt say for one minute it wasnt the right direction, cant say ive looked into aerators as a source, but im sure your the guy to find it Q.

lee

I spent about an hour the other day looking for aquarium heaters from the 70's-80's after reading this but I couldn't find any reference to heaters that old. The part does look familiar, I can picture it in a semi gloss black plastic, I'm sure I've seen it before & the length is right ??

Iv been searching aquarium shops and the like for years looking for this part.
Once Iv made up my own piece for my Nebulon build, Ill take it around and see if anyone recognizes it.

An aquarium heater or filter seems like a promising lead. The part certainly seems to have a piece on the front that a hose connects to.

I think Monsieur Tox's idea of an inline transmission cooler / power steering cooler / radiator is also a promising lead.

I would really like to find this part.

OK, this is going to drive me
batty - I distinctly remember handling
either this piece or something
very much like it, but do you
think I can remember what it is?:facepalm

Nooooo. :cry

However, as I recollect whatever
it was, it was solid and made
of some kind of plastic such
as nylon. But don't hold
me to that.

(I have been in the electronics
field since about 1980 -
used to get requests to
fix all kinds of stuff.)

I will ask some friends I
have worked with if they
recognize it...

OK, this is going to drive me
batty - I distinctly remember handling
either this piece or something
very much like it, but do you
think I can remember what it is?:facepalm

Nooooo. :cry

However, as I recollect whatever
it was, it was solid and made
of some kind of plastic such
as nylon. But don't hold
me to that.

I'm still sure I've seen this part. I had a look again the other night at all sorts of things trying to jog my memory but still no joy. I've got a feeling this part could be a leg for something or its part of something adjustable.
The round barbed bit on the end looks as though it fits into something (maybe a foot of some kind), the grooves down the length of it would suggest the whole thing slots into something & the ribs could just be there to make it click into a set position in what ever its slotted into...if that makes any sense :confused
Its bugging the hell out of me aswell :wacko

Well, it symmetrical along its length, I
think it may have had an identical barbed
tip at the other end, which broke off,
the folks at ILM said "hey, it's too cool
looking to toss, put it in the parts bin."

The more I look, the more I think
vacuum power head, though I have
been known to make mistakes...

From time - to -time. Oh Dear oh dear.

Here is a (poor) shot of the other end:

medical-frigate-thingimijig.jpg

(Hope I am not hijacking this thread...
not my intention...)

Vacuum roller, carpet shampoo roller, so much scope, im fudged on anything automotive, as i once pondered it may have been ripped from the Volvo used for the HIC........but it just doesnt look like an auto part.

lee

From memory in Chronicles, Ease, Bill George, maybe Bailey....id say she was a collaborative build much like the ISD Guy......but we could always ask Ease.....cant hurt?

lee

Something about this part that intrigues me,
the wire running around the groove (outlined
in red here) was that added by ILM or
was it on the original part?

If it was original, it could have held
something on, like a brush or...

thingimijig-3.jpg

Maybe the wire created or dissipated some sort of charge in the original use? Like an anti-static component in a roller for some sort of copy machine?

It also kind of looks like the heat resistant plastic they put in aquarium heaters to hold the filaments in place. Could it be an aquarium heater core and that wire is the feed line? The filaments could wrap in the grooves.

Maybe the wire created or dissipated some sort of charge in the original use? Like an anti-static component in a roller for some sort of copy machine?

It also kind of looks like the heat resistant plastic they put in aquarium heaters to hold the filaments in place. Could it be an aquarium heater core and that wire is the feed line? The filaments could wrap in the grooves.

I like the heater angle, but rather than an aquarium
heater, what about a space heater of some kind?
the top of this also has a series of what could be
stand-offs of some kind....

I like the heater angle, but rather than an aquarium
heater, what about a space heater of some kind?
the top of this also has a series of what could be
stand-offs of some kind....

A furnace or in-duct air heater are options in that vein too.

I keep seeing "copy machine" for that part too. But I don't know if they had copy machines back then that were quite like what we have now. Carbon copying machines were more common back then. My 2 cents...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back