How To Print On Vinyl?

Petseal

Hello,
Here is something I have been meaning to ask for some time!
How do I print on vinyl?
Which would be the best to use? An ink jet printer or laser printer? Or would I need a completely different type of monster?
I have a HP PSC 1610 All-In-One which does great photo prints but is it good enough or even able to print on vinyl?
I have found some of the best looking PADD props, my favorite type of prop, are done using vinyl screens! On my props I have used photo images, which look OK and overhead projection film which I am unable to get a clear enough image! But I have never had a PADD were I looked at it and said, this could have come off the sound stage!
I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me!
Later, Petseal

No-can-do with an off the shelf printer -- the ink needs to chemically bond or melt into the vinyl, regular inkjets are waterbased and will not work and laser printers would melt the vinyl. You have to go with special (very expensive ($7000 and up) vinyl ink jet printers that use either solvent or eco-solv inks or go with thermal ribbon types ($3000 and up and lower resolution). Also the software can get very pricey too. Try your local sign shops and see if they can do the job for you (they should be able to "die cut" the shapes for you also if needed).

Doug

Last edited:
No-can-do with an off the shelf printer -- the ink needs to chemically bond or melt into the vinyl, regular inkjets are waterbased and will not work and laser printers would melt the vinyl. You have to go with special (very expensive ($7000 and up) vinyl ink jet printers that use either solvent or eco-solv inks or go with thermal ribbon types ($3000 and up and lower resolution). Also the software can get very pricey too. Try your local sign shops and see if they can do the job for you (they should be able to "die cut" the shapes for you also if needed).

Doug

Thanks for the info, about what I figured but had to ask!
Later, Petseal

Not exactly sure what your going for here, but we print on vinyl and cut the shape all at the same time on our printers at work. If all you have are shapes , then a standard sign shop should be able to handle it. If not, and If you've got art, I can take it in and get you a quote if you want. pm me if interested.

Not exactly sure what your going for here, but we print on vinyl and cut the shape all at the same time on our printers at work. If all you have are shapes , then a standard sign shop should be able to handle it. If not, and If you've got art, I can take it in and get you a quote if you want. pm me if interested.

Thanks much for the offer 8 perf! It is very much appreciated!
My intention was just to find out if it was possible to do this at home with what I have on hand!
My main interest is PADDs and I have not found an acceptable method to print my own screens! They look OK but not GREAT!!! And from what I have gathered reading threw many threads vinyl makes the best looking screens!
There are some shops in town so I will be getting info from them and see what happens! My best friends girl works at a print shop and she gets me all kinds of plastics and such!
Recently I was asking her if she knew anything about a type of soft plastic and I described the screen of the wall coms from ENTERPRISE! She gave me four large pieces of colored vinyl, not what I was looking for but I figured useful for detailing PADDs and other props! Anyway that's when I started to wonder if I could print on this vinyl with my printer! Decided I would ask the BB first, didn't want to chance messing up my printer!
Well wannab told me what's involved so I will not even attempt it!
If I run into a wall in Windsor's print shops I will drop you a line and see what can be arranged!
Later, Petseal

The method I use works well. I Print my images on a kodak Picture Maker Making sure there is at least a half inch I won't need around the edge . I then laminate the picture. You must laminate the picture with an adhesive type film, because the layer of the picture we need to remove is too thin to be removed without the laminating film as reinforcement. AT this point you need to take a sharp rasor blade, and start searching for the layer where picture is printed and the paper meets. This takes some practice. These photo's are made up of a laminant, and with care the semi translucent surface can be removed from the paper. When you find the correct layer the two layers remove with no effort. You can then use the image as is or back it with double sided adhesive. The adhesive can be found at most hobby stores in 9x11 sheets.

Hope that helps.

This image was done using the above method, and them placed on a black mask.

Ill try to photograph the whole process, and post it if you'd like.

Last edited:
Here is the method I use to make graphics. It works pretty well. Note that you must use a kodak picture maker for this to work. Those are the yellow machines you see in places like Wal-mart that allow you to print the pictures while you wait.

step1bx8.jpg

step2ae9.jpg

step3pn5.jpg

step4ak1.jpg

step5sc7.jpg

step6qh6.jpg

step7ve4.jpg

step8xj7.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back