Greeblie identification needed! (Aliens)

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm working on a project replicating the sph flight helmets used by the dropship poilots.

The following pics are of the screenused helmet. I'm trying to identify any of the parts in the kidney-shaped cutout. Any help much appreciated.

kidney1.jpg

kidney2.jpg

kidney3.jpg

It almost looks to me to be a engine cover for something like a chain saw or weed eater. I couldn't tell you for sure, but maybe someone has one in a garage that they might be able to identify.

I've been slowly building my helmet for quite some time now.

My thoughts are:

Part in the upper left corner is mainly a robotech/jetfire jet

pack that is connected to the rear wings. It has an additional part

stuck to the top of it.

As far as the main body, It maybe several parts "seamed" together.

The only clue is "D2" on the lower left corner.

I have found some underwater camera housings with a D2 model

number, nothing exact... ,but has potential.

Hope that helps.

I don't think it's the right part. The greeblie on the SU shots is clearly hollow (you can see something under the vents).

If they used the Jetfire toy, they must have cut the vents out, which seems unlikeley. The shape doesn't really look quite right to me either (the SU part has more rounded lines).

Last edited:

I meant this part. You are on the right track Birdie.

The scale is off. You would have to look at an older robotech

valkyrie model kit to get the right size.

Also the Fero helmet is damaged on the right side. That is why you

see the split from the helmet. Spunk's helmet isn't cracked.

I'm modeling all the parts in 3D to print out. I've got half of it done.

Please highlight the Meg parts. I am looking at mine right now and I cannot ID them. I am no good at this because my Jetfires are right next to him and I didn't see it either.

Thanks!

Greg

Please highlight the Meg parts. I am looking at mine right now and I cannot ID them. I am no good at this because my Jetfires are right next to him and I didn't see it either.

Thanks!

Greg

The meg part is on the other side of the helmet. Lots of pics at the link above.

I agree with Mnoble that the part shaded in red is from Jetfire. Unfortunateley the different variations of the same Transformer confuse the hell out of me!

I've been slowly building my helmet for quite some time now.

My thoughts are:

Part in the upper left corner is mainly a robotech/jetfire jet

pack that is connected to the rear wings. It has an additional part

stuck to the top of it.

As far as the main body, It maybe several parts "seamed" together.

The only clue is "D2" on the lower left corner.

I have found some underwater camera housings with a D2 model

number, nothing exact... ,but has potential.

Hope that helps.

Thats not a D2, its a D7. The part is the back half of a Destroid Tomahawk upper body. Its either the IMAI 1/100 kit or Arii 1/72 kit. I'm guessing its the former as the number is etched directly onto the kit part, I don't think the Arii kit did that. Its also easier to find and somewhat cheaper as its been re-released by Bandai several times. If its the Arii kit, you could have a hunt on your hands as its much more sought after and hasn't been out for a while.
As for the other part, I dont think it comes from a Valkyrie model or toy. I've been hunting around on the Macross World website (http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/_models_plastic.htm)
and the part doesn't match anything from those kits. The etched "trench" is on the wrong side of the part, its missing the raised bump that is offset to the side, the shape is off and is too short. But it does look like that it was used for the Hand Torch thumb switch.

Brian

Brian, that was excellent!!!!!!

4681867.jpeg

The one in your picture is "only" 99% correct (there's a slight slope at the upper/front edge that the welder part does not have) but finally I know what too look for.

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

Last edited:
So here's a comparision shot showing the differences between the welder part and the Valkyrie part - it's already very close but not exactly the one. What might help limit the search is the fact that all kits produced later than 1985 can be ruled out (unless they're reissues).

0286118.jpeg

Cheers,
Stefan

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back