MR closing Star Wars production?

n8k8r4v3r

OH NOOOOO, guys go check MR site....

Last Day To Order Star Wars Products: 12/31/2007!
As of December 31st, 2007 Master Replicas will no longer be selling Star Wars products, so be sure not to miss out on many great deals!

:cry:cry:cry

Not unless another company doesn't get the SW Props license (which we know they are already looking if not already signed a deal) The props released are too iconic for another company not to take up on doing "their way" so we'll see many pieces again with the MR pieces value solely counting on how the next company does. If they do it better, MR pieces will fall. If they do it worse, MR pieces will climb....either way they won't be as accurate as those created by a customizer. :D

MR set the bar for high quality mass produced sabers.
However they made their LE's a little too limited and lost a huge opportunity to cash in when they said, "Once it's made it'll never be made again."

So I'm glad they don't have the license anymore. Them losing it is the only way most fans will ever own a quality replica.
The next company that takes up the mantle will have a few choices:

-Match MR's quality with same size edition = same price (hardcore fans)

-Increase quality and increase edition size = same price (hardcore fans)

-Same quality increase edition size = lower price (hardcore/average)

-Lower quality and open edition = low price (average fans)

Now this being said about the LE.
I will miss their FX saber line, but it will rise again in due time.

Last edited:
Oh my, they are???

;)

Sorry, I had to say it...

icon_spit.gif

Too funny Morbius.

Seriously mate, that's been on the net for 6 months.

I think there will be a shortterm bump in $$ value on the secondary market for MR items, but I agree that the longer term look will depend on who gets the license (I am sure someone will, there is too much money in it for Lucas for it to sit there) and what they do with it. For someone like me who showed up late to the party and is having pick up the leftovers and just hope to get my hands on some of the earlier items that I missed, I'm really biding my time now and waiting to see what the next guy does.

-GoldLdr

Oh my bad guys :$ kinda look stupid right now lol, well im into the prop scene bout a month, I just got the fever and I never ordered stuff from MR site, everything I bough was on ebay, redfordfilms, noblecollection, sideshows... didn't had a clew what's going on on MR site. Althought I got many MR props but its all from ebay and redford.

I think there will be a shortterm bump in $$ value on the secondary market for MR items, but I agree that the longer term look will depend on who gets the license (I am sure someone will, there is too much money in it for Lucas for it to sit there) and what they do with it. For someone like me who showed up late to the party and is having pick up the leftovers and just hope to get my hands on some of the earlier items that I missed, I'm really biding my time now and waiting to see what the next guy does.

-GoldLdr

That's what I'm doing now mate, I'm bidding on almost every items that MR used to have or are sold out. Now all we can do is sit and waits whois gonna be next to take over.

Cool, this is like the Freshman Thread. I'm the second poster with a post count over 100.

Sorry to see MR go, happy to see the possibility of a new company.

My thoughts are that we may see the license be split into the prop replicas and the "FX" style sabers. I would love to see companies really focus on both, as I think they are seperate items. As a fledgling "hardcore" collector, I love the MR items for display and ease of entry into the collecting world, but I REALLY prefer custom jobs for my FX style sabers for both quality and accuracy.

For now, I just try to be patient and spend my lucre ($$) on the items that are most desired by me, picking up the odd bargain when I see it. We'll see how many of the 4-5 items remaining on my wish list I can come up with, and save the rest for the next guys. I do wish MR had gotten out a bowcaster and a scout trooper blaster though...maybe a vibroaxe and force pike to boot :)

-GoldLdr

Cool, this is like the Freshman Thread. I'm the second poster with a post count over 100.

Sorry to see MR go, happy to see the possibility of a new company.

heh. i feel old.

to make this post less dumb... i think it's sad conceptually, but all i've ever bought from mr are the quigon ce hilt and the maul fx. quigon i sold and maul collects dust.

i like my built from scratch stuff much better anyway. i'll take my demiled sterling and bronze webley over theirs any day. and both cost less to build than the mr versions!

I have been exactly the opposite. Almost everything in my collrection IS MR. As a novice collector, MR is an easily accessable option. It's not the lowest cost or the most accurate in all cases, but it is an option that allows easy buy in of officially licensed items (if you care about that sort of thing). I like the idea of licensed items, but the prices on many of the items I missed out on several years ago stop me from getting them.

As I am starting to get more experienced and understand more of what I am looking for, I do find myself looking more and more at custom items. If I had the skills or the time, I might even try assembling my own saber, but i don't think it would turn out well.

I am taking my first steps into a larger world and I love it.

-GoldLdr

i love the mr pros and dispays however, paying sky high prices for the faux 'collectability' of a plaque with a number(thats interchangable and not even tied to the prop) to me killed them. I think they really went too high end. I own many mr items but id say 85% of them i bought elsewhere for well below the MR price.

They really got a hit with the fx sabers as they are pricey enough that they can be a quality display piece and they actually have a function more than a paperweight.

But realistically, what major items did they have left(that would actually sell)?
A couple odd blasters/sabers/helmets and many of those would have been stretches for most possible customers.

Do we really need another company this soon to release more stuff?
Ya realize, most would be rehashes of what we already got. I dont want to feel like i need yet another luke anh saber or han blaster that is 'even more shiny or more accurate'...what i got is fine...

aside but psuedo related:i almost got the sideshow sal. crumb life size 'prop' but i realized that 400-ish bucks for arguably a background character is probably better to admire it from afar rather than needing to actually own it.

Last edited:
My frustration with MR was just as it seemed they were really getting going with the helmet line (such as the Stormtrooper and Boba) - they ran out of license.

IMO there's plenty of helmets a licensed provider can go for, following their exit. Such as

ANH Vader
RotJ Stormtrooper
C-3P0 - Throne room and Tattooine
Ep 2 Clone
X-wing Pilot (Luke, Biggs Wedge)
At-At Driver

I'm sure there's many more

Cheers

Jez

If I had the skills or the time, I might even try assembling my own saber, but i don't think it would turn out well.

I am taking my first steps into a larger world and I love it.

-GoldLdr

Don't sell your self short. You never know what you can do until you try.

I've found that if I really want something bad enough I'm willing to take a shot at building it. Since I was a kid I wanted a B9 robot from Lost in Space. I found the B9 builders club on the net and now I have a B9 in my prop room. It took a lot of time and cash and I certainly had to figure out how to do things I'd never done before, but it was so worth it!

There's a lot of good info on this board and a lot of people more than willing to lend a hand with advice or parts. So try building something. I have no doubt you'll find it a very satisfying experience.

Right now, I'm for either a licensed company or a prop maker here to make a super accurate Obi ANH saber. It would be really nice too especially with all the discoveries that have been made.

You should try making your own props. Not just to get a prop but for the sheer joy of it. I loved buying tools to start building my own sabers, but not enough money to get the rest of the tools. Holding a Dremel in your hand is awesome. It makes fast clean cuts and not hard to master.

If I had the skills or the time, I might even try assembling my own saber, but i don't think it would turn out well.

start off with something easy, like the ANH luke. it's mostly an unmodified flash with some stuff glued on. i think the only drilling you need is to put the hook at the bottom.

but for all that... watching an old flash become a lightsaber with the addition of a couple of bits here and there is a great thing!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back