Golden Compass Alethiometer Toy Conversion

Kylash

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, unlike my old Jack Sparrow compass toy conversion project, this one is almost complete, and i just started a few hours ago! And i dont have $200 to spend on the NC replica, so the toy it is!

This is based on the Corgi Alethiometer toy with pouch, got it for $20 at ToyRUs. The toy itself is already 95% accurate, they even managed to get the whole thing together with barely noticable trademarks and NO SCREW HOLES, this thing looks like its made solid. Oh, and the 3 red needles DO move indepentantly, controlled by the 3 independant dials, the blue needs spins randomly when pressed, and the white ring that the symbols are on is a glow in the dark sticker! The only main gripe i have is the geqar area in the middle is a little flat, lacking depth, and is turned to the left for some odd reason, it should be sentered with the top. Without cutting it out and turning it, theres no way to fix it.

6026_1.JPG

The first thing that needs fixing is the needs, the blue one mostly, as its too high and is made to be a push button through the plastic window. The window covering the needles also needs to be replaced by an entirely flat pane with no hole for the center button, thus removing that bit of funcionality, mbut the 3 red ones will still function. The plastic window pops off easily with a small screwdriver.

Currently, im at the gold leafing stage. there are MANY SMALL DETAILS on the surface of this thing, so the gold leaf adhesive layer needs to be SUPER THIN, and you need to be sure to use a brush and push it into all those little cracks. Then give it a good bit of weathering with a wet wash of very dark golden rust color.

I will then seal this with gloss acrylic spray. More progress as it comes!

alethiometer_prog1.jpg

alethiometer_prog2.jpg

alethiometer_prog3.jpg

alethiometer_prog4.jpg

Last edited:
Can't believe how well this is turning out for a toy! :eek
PLEASE keep us posted as I plan to steal this idea from you! Muhuhahahahahahahahahahah!

Wow, I didn't think there was any hope of converting this. It looked pretty crappy in the store. I think I was most disappointed in the flatness of the area behind the dials.

If this CAN be converted, I'll have to pick one up!

Good luck!

Just to be clear, is this the larger toy that comes with carrying case? Because it seems like there are two toy Alethiometers. The smaller closed one might be the "Digi Demon" Pokemon-computer style 'meter tho.

2toyszo7.jpg

Does the size on the toy seem about right to you? Or is it oversized?

[removed irrelevant art]

thegoldencompass2007010tq8.jpg

- k

Last edited:
those photos you posted are concept art, not the final prop., comparing them to reference phgotos from the film and other concepts that those were found with on ign, they are definetly concept art. Youll notice that back picture has no dials on the sides and has a push button thats rounded to open it, compare to any picture of the noble collection compass, the button is actually a tab that sticks out.

That first concept art you posted also has the ring on the side of the compass, when there are photos out there of Lyra holding it and you can see the ring in the back, where it is on the toy.

Yes it is the 1/1 toy not the digi toy, otherwise there would be no compass inside, there would ne an lcd screen. Ill have to measure it when i get home, but it looks accurate in size.

Very nice conversion.

The real compass looks to be about 3.5". The knobs on the toy are also off. I've yet to pick one up though, so I can't REALLY comment to terribly much.

The Noble Collection does have dials that move, but I don't know for certain if the random hand moves.

yeah the dials arent as detailed as they should be, but they are generally close. Cool note, the copyright is actually printed on the bottom, so after gold leafing there is NO copyright and no screw holes!

When i get home ill post some more pics and comparisons to some reference i have for size detail etc.

I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for this one, your conversion is working out great! Have you (or anyone) done this with the Pirates compass toy yet?

Heads up!

I was just at Toys R Us and they have a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sale on ALL Golden Compass toys....action figures, vehicles and "play-along" items (Alethiometer!!!)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back