Golden Compass Alethiometer Toy Conversion

bunch more pictures below! I havent finished the dials or the new window plate, and i still need to seal the gold leaf in, but this is basically it. For some reason the flash makes the gold leaf look cracked, when its actually quite smooth.

Does anyone have experience with gold leaf paint looking as good as normal gold leaf?

aleth1.jpg

aleth2.jpg

aleth3.jpg

aleth4.jpg

aleth5.jpg

aleth6.jpg

aleth7.jpg

aleth8.jpg

aleth9.jpg

aleth10.jpg

the hands can turn by control of the knobs on the side. I would like to replace them with thinner accurate ones, but im not sure how to remove them without damaging the functionality, this this is glued together, which is why theres no screw holes.

In some pictures, it looks like the inside top has a white wash and under the glass there is a black wash to the gilded parts.

I very much like what you've done so far. I think I might have to try this.

Ah, that's a shame. I took a clock apart once that was glued together. The parts broke when I attempted to scrape away the glue. You could try cutting away the length of the hand, leaving just a fraction remaining, and attach a hand over that. With that idea, however, you might just have to reconstruct the hands yourself, which could be done.

In some pictures, it looks like the inside top has a white wash and under the glass there is a black wash to the gilded parts.

I very much like what you've done so far. I think I might have to try this.

not sure where you see a white wash...maybe the refletion off the gold? the only wash i used was a metallic rust color..

In some pictures, the city really seems to pop. It looks like the engraving is not as shiny as the surrounding metal.

alethiometer11.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
ahh yeah. Thats one im kind of stuck on, only because of this picture...though its a replica.

NN1764Ll.jpg

That gold leaf makes all the difference in the world.

You need any more reference pics of the 'hero' one? I'd be happy to grab some from the HD trailer for ya.

-Mike

The etching on the Noble Collection matches pretty closely with the hero alethiometer. The toy doesn't have some of the line detail, but it still looks pretty good.

The hinges are close, not 100%, but close enough. The knobs are way off, but again, they're close enough.

That gold leaf makes all the difference in the world.

You need any more reference pics of the 'hero' one? I'd be happy to grab some from the HD trailer for ya.

-Mike

that would be awesome, thanks!

I used Mona Lisa brand gold leafing. Also, does anyone know if gold leaf paint looks as good as traditional gold leaf? for making it smoother maybe?

frickin' frackin' ToysRus Canada has NOTHING on the the shelves... not one single piece of GOlden COmpass goodness.... GRRRR!!!!!:angry

SO crap.

grumble...

Is the Noble Collection THE high end one to get? Is MR doing anything other than the statues?!?

darnitall... I wanted to work on one of the toys too....:cry

-r!

frickin' frackin' ToysRus Canada has NOTHING on the the shelves... not one single piece of GOlden COmpass goodness.... GRRRR!!!!!:angry

SO crap.

grumble...

Is the Noble Collection THE high end one to get? Is MR doing anything other than the statues?!?

darnitall... I wanted to work on one of the toys too....:cry

-r!

They had them up in Ottawa, not a whole lot, it was just next to the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff (had the alethiometer set and the armored polar bear). Maybe they just need a bit of time in T.O. to restock.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back