New Series Tardis Key

since I haven't been able to find out by any other means, I found a place that you can get Yale key blanks since thats whats been determined to be the key used but as for what size I don't know and was looking for some help.

here is the place I found:

http://www.mrlock.com/eshop/locks/mfg/esp/keyblanks/yale.html

as for getting it cut I think I might just use one of my keys that looks kinda similar to how it is.

The local lock smith will sell me blanks all day for $2 (same price as if it was cut), have you tried asking a local lock smith in your area?

Once you get away from the generic hardware store and commercial chains into the mom pop type locksmiths they usually carry just about every brand blank or at least a much bigger selection... And at least in my case they have always been more then willing to spend time helping you out...

On that site, I would go with the 997ER.

The first batch are cabinet keys, much smaller.

There is a great magazine cover of Doctor Who magazine (or something we don't get in the statesm that I have seen.) That has Mickey on the cover holding the key up so you can see how to have it cut.
Someone did do this a while back in the JY, btw.

For some reason my DVD player wont capture screen caps anymore. Does someone have Season 3, disk 2? The Lazarus episode shows the key in all its glory.

Title 5 Chapter 11, 39:58 to 40:01

Lets get this relatively simple prop knocked out. :thumbsup

There is a great magazine cover of Doctor Who magazine...That has Mickey on the cover holding the key up so you can see how to have it cut.
Someone did do this a while back in the JY, btw.

Who made the junkyard ones? Does anyone have cover 367?

This is the largest one I can find: here

It looks to be more like the "Keyblank, F/YALE 8 4 PIN Y220" than "Key Blank, F/Yale" due to the little nub thing on both ends of the key (one on the key tooth side, and another on the flat side)--you can see this in the Mickey magazine cover. But I'm not sure if that key is the one used on screen. I don't have screen caps that show the entire key.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread. For some reason my usually prop hating/ignoring wife has expressed a keen desire to have the Tardis key.

Although having said that about props, she's still waiting for the Alliance baton from Serenity.:confused I think she likes to confuse me.:unsure

Does anyone have season 3 "Blink". I think there's a couple of good close ups. 1, while it's hanging from the string in the angels hand. And 2, when Sally ?? pulls it out of her pocket and looks at it outside the police station.

You know...I'm a Who Prop-a-holic but this key's never really turned me on that much. Still. I wouldn't mind owning one just for the sake of completion.

For some reason my usually prop hating/ignoring wife has expressed a keen desire to have the Tardis key.
:lol To be honest, this key is for the girlfriend. It's either this or the Tardis, so....

And I'm more than happy to chuck out a bunch of these if we ever get enough reference material to knock 'em out (or find out who did the JY ones, and how accurate they are).

The person who did the run in the Junkyard originally was mtsbspidey. I came in a bit late to the run, so I scored a few keys, but they weren't cut exactly as they were in the show (still, I was stoked to have some!).

If someone was to do another run of keys cut exactly as they were in the show, I'd be all over it. :thumbsup

I'll see if I can find anymore shots of the key throughout the series.

I'll see if I can find anymore shots of the key throughout the series.

That'd be great! The shots you provided already help a lot. Hopefully we can get other references to account for the entire key.

I remember the key being shown fairly clearly in the episode where Rose creates those time paradoxes trying to save her dad--the one where they hide out in the church... if anyone knows the episode title, the key is suspended in air towards the end, so hopefully there's a close shot.

There's also the 2nd to last episode in season 3, where the Doctor fashions keys for him, Martha, and Jack so people wont notice them. There might be close-ups of that as well. It'd be interesting to find out if the teeth patterns match up--I doubt it, but we'll see.

For screen caps, we don't need the entire screen--just the key, of course, so it might be better to crop around just the key and have the image be really high res (not that we need to be accurate to the micrometer). ;)

I'll definitely be making a few for myself and friends, but for anyone who helps, if you want, I'll make copies for you at cost. I think Kadajiroth is on track for a free one. :lol Regardless, this should be a relatively cheap prop.

edit: oh, and I don't plan on doing a run--I don't have time to ship out a bunch of these, sorry.

Last edited:
Here's some more. I couldn't get them hi-res, but they're not bad:

Season 1 episode "Father's Day":
These aren't the best shots, I know, so if someone else can get better, don't hesitate to post 'em up.

tardiskeyfull-1.jpg

tardiskeyglow2.jpg

Season 3 episode "The Sound of Drums":
This is hardly even worth posting, but there isn't many full-on shots of the key in this episode, only the sides. Also, is it just me or do the keys seem a little thinner in these eps? It looks like they've sanded down the disc (where you hold the key). Maybe to remove manufacturer names?

tardiskeysoundofdrums.png

When I get back from work tomorrow, I'll see if I can find some more/better quality shots. Hope they helped!

Hm... I think your other screen caps were much better. I just wish I could see the entire keys teeth pattern so I could space it out correctly.

That first image is a clear shot, but you can't really see the teeth. dang. It looks fairly flat, though. It seems clear they used a variety of keys with different teeth cuts.

I know, those suck. :lol But I found another episode with a scene on the key, with some nice screenshots.

Series 1 episode "The Long Game":

longgame-tardiskey1.jpg

longgame-tardiskey2.png

longgame-tardiskey3.png

longgame-tardiskey4.png

Has anyone orderd the ilco keys from that site? I stopped by my local Ace Hardware, and they had the ilco keys, but they're not like the picture in the site linked in this thread (this one). Instead, they have some numbers to the bottom left of the ilco logo, and a "made in the usa" on the top of the logo, above the hole.

I know there's at least one shot during Doctor Who where you can clearly see the ilco logo, but I forget which episode. Kadajiroth has provided a lot of great screen shots, and the ilco logo might be in one of those, but my monitor is too dark so I'll have to adjust the screen capture on another computer.

Also, how do I get Ace to cut a key if I don't have a key? I was thinking of tracing and cutting the teeth onto acrylic or something, and giving them that... not sure if there's an easier way. Thanks!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back