CC X-Wing, first time Studio Scale build (Finished)

Guy Cowen

Sr Member
Well I have managed to pick up a CC W-Wing from a board member & its my first attempt at anything like this, I cant say its been easy so far. It needed lots of sanding & cleaning up. I really did struggle tonight to get all the fuselage pieces together. My worst problem was the nose cone, no matter what I did it wouldn't stay on.... got there in the end but I had resort to epoxy filler. I just gave up now & need a holiday after that. Its been a real eye opener so far but I do think I'll get the results I want although I doubt it will be the neatest bird on the scene. I'm off to pick my MR Falcon tomorrow & will continue in the evening.

I'll post pic's when its primed for painting, but any little tips or hints to get me me there with less stress would be greatly appreciated.

The glue's I have don't seem to great, & I'm not to sure what filler to use. What's the best UK glue n filler for the Job?:confused

Last edited:
Re: CC X-Wing, first time Studio Scale build!!!!

The best i found is Starloc thin super glue, you can get it at www.glue-shop.com or tel/fax 01928 560044 or you can look it up on ebay as 5 star adhesive
it is the best super thin glue.
just be carful as it glue you to your model in a heartbeat!
they also have medium grade and thick and also debonder as well.
it is only made in the UK

Guy your nose cone is always this way with most of these kits, they all require a little fettling here and there.
Best way for the nose to fit well, is once you have a good alligned join on your hull halves and the nose is "almost" there, youll normally have a gap at the curvature area?
What i do is paste a "sheet" of epoxy putty there, then push on the nose cone and glue.
From there, wet sculpt the putty into the contours, pretty much so all you have is a smooth line of putty, that will require the least amount ( i really do mean tiny) of sanding. This area can be a pig if you have gobs of filler in there, to sculpt it in, use a paint brush and apply water to the putty, gently smoothing it out!
The other area that can test, is the buttplate, you may need to force the hull halves (wing block apertures) apart, to do this warm the hull so the resin becomes plyable, from there, attach the plate to the top hull.
The lower hull, i force out with a bolt with two plates at either end, you can turn the bolt and line up the hull with the lower of the buttplate, and glue!
Thats the simple way, lol you may need the same approach in putty and maybe a re scribe once all sanded, but itll get there!
Hope that helps, and of course, this board is full of guys that know tons, so just ask away!

bests......lee

Thanks chaps, I wish I'd done this first!!! Regarding Epoxy putty where is a good place to buy this as I just got back from picking my Falcon up & the nose cone had moved & set at an angle aaaaahhhhhhhh? I have got it off by heating the cone with a hair brush to loosen the glue. I'll need to clean it up again but would want to try your putty method this time. The butt plate has gone on OK but there is a 1/16th ridge on the bottom that is too much to sand back. Hmmmmm.

The good news is after months of waiting I finally got my Falcon from Ajcollecting today. WoW.

I have to say the paint job is one of the best I've seen & made me think twice about any repaint, BUT sadly it has the misaligned mandible problem that wasn't mentioned in the listing. It was ment to have just a headlight out. In sure they never even noticed the mandable at AJ and its not that noticible "at first". I did get it for £375 so I'm really not going to quibble :)

Thanks to some friends through work I had it shipped to UK for a wapping £76 all in. I haven't got any time to post pics tonight but will soon.

Back to the X-wing, I am totally commited to making a good job of this baby & wont let it beet me.

I think I just found some epoxy putty on Maplins web site that will do the job.

Glue & putty will be ordered tomorrow, thanks chaps.

Milliput is perfect for this kind of thing - it's available in most model shops, if you have one nearby?

Yes, Milliput's brilliant to work with. I use superfine white, but standard would be just as usable for this kind of work.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Falcon. Who knows, it might be the one I sent back. Then again, If I had snagged it for the price you've paid it would still be with me.

I'm making some progress with this build & am on to the weathering of the main body. I am teaching myself as I go, including using salt/ liquid latex for chipping. In fact every method I have used on this is the first time I've tried. I have repainted the yellow stripe 3 times & made way more mistakes than I would hope. No matter how hard I try I just cant stop rushing. Here's a quick shot of where I'm up to. I have to say with out Lee's buildup going at the same time I would be a bit stumped. I've decided to just do my own look Using different ref pics I've found. Its going to be a red 1-5 hybrid as I just don't have the skills yet to be very accurate. I will add some more pics tomorrow with good light. I haven't wanted to show an as I go type thing with this as I have re done it so many times, its getting a bit wethered without even trying!!!!! The main thing is I'm having tons of fun with my new airbrush:thumbsup

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

I know its not to the standard that usually kicks around here, but I am happy so far?

Last edited:

Thanks Paul, it has been a big challenge so far, but you really should jump in & do it, I have already learn't that less is more but maybe a bit toooooo late but it still looks OK? It is great to see it come along & I promise you will have great fun

Update

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

Still got a long way to go but not bad for a first ever SS paint job??? I know it may be a bit OTT but Its too hard to go back now.

Last edited:

Guy

I have to say, im impressed, this is your first outing on an SS kit, an airbrush and any form of Latex masking, so your doing very well!
I think you should give yourself a pat on the back TBH as this stuff isnt easy at all.
I think you have the logistics down, work panel to panel if you have to and just study that ref as much as you can, and never rush.
You will find in time, should the bug truly catch you, youll be as anal as all us SS nuts someday and find yourself mixing colors for accuracy till your dizzy from fumes.
Put it this way, ive seen worse SS X wings from so called competent builders buddy, so carry on, have fun and youll never stop learning!

lee

thanks Lee, you have been a real help to me with this. I'm on the base coat of the wings today so its all starting to come together.

I do have a question about warped parts. My cockpit is a bit out of shape, what's the best way to heat & set these? Thanks bud

I also managed to drop a wing today ...... it smashed into 11 pieces in total!

Got it back together though.....

Lookin' good Guy. :thumbsup

Glad to see my old kit is getting the love it deserves.

I just got word last night that the buddy of mine I had painting my Luke figure has finished and I'll post pictures at my site. I need to re-thread some FO. I accidently unbundled 2 of the 3 colors(ugh!).

Then I just need to sit down and start painting the thing!

Lookin' good Guy. :thumbsup

Glad to see my old kit is getting the love it deserves.

Thanks Joe. Thanks for parting with it, I am having a ball doing this. Here's where I'm up to tonight. Getting to tired to carry on !!!!

IMG_2922.jpg

Here is the latest pic of my my build, I'm really happy so far but am wanting to get into the pastels soon. I'm not sure the best way to fill panel lines? Do I need to coat it with something before doing the pastel/powder weathering, if so can anyone recommend what to use? All weathering so far is with the airbrush & a craft knife.

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2931.jpg

Last edited:

Regarding pastels, you don't really need to coat if BEFORE you apply, but you should clear coat it after to seal the powder in.

In terms of applications, there are many ways to do it. Personally, I grind the powder off the chalk stick with sand paper, then I use a fairly short-bristled brush and just rub the pastels in to the paint with the brush.

You need to be careful though because the amount of powder that is carried on the brush and hence transfered to the model is a bit challenging to control - sometimes you'll roll the brush in a LOT of powder and barely any transfers; sometimes you think you have barely any on the brush and it goes on WAY too dark and heavy. Go with a light touch!

You can also smudge it on with your fingers, or with a damp cloth.

Another thought regarding pastels is that - even though it's not paint - it can be very difficult to remove, especially if its well rubbed into the paint. Again, go light! You can always build it up more as you go. And practice on another throw away model if you can.

If I may offer one recommendation, or bit of feedback, on your model -- everything is looking great so far, and I know you'll be doing more, but the yellow and the green are coming across as very rich in color. You might experiment with rubbing these sections down with ultra fine sand paper (1200 grit or higher), or using a very light colored pastel over the secions. I've used baby powder for white to lighten areas; works moderatley well, though not a silver bullet.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back