Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

FLUKE

Before I go hunting around for stuff that 'might' look just 'OK' I thought I would ask.

Has there ever been information to what jackets where used for the crew of the Nostromo or the jacket used by Dallas?

Have you ever come across something that was simular and have a style or manufacture's name?

I can imagin they were from England... maybe?

Thanks.

Each character seems to have a different jacket.

nostromocrew01uy4.jpg

here's Dallas' jacket with the laces.

dallas02mq8.jpg

dallast06gv2.jpg

dallas03wo1.jpg

dallas04dm0.jpg

dallas05vr8.jpg

dallaslapelbuttonholelq0.jpg

dallasbackkv1.jpg

Dallas' white shirt (note pip in middle of the yellow Weylan-Yutani wings logo)

dallasyellowwingsus8.jpg

Parker wears a leather jacket.

parkerjacket04jc4.jpg

parker03ve3.jpg

a1parkerjacketwe4.jpg

parkerjacketbacked3.jpg

Brett's jacket is cloth and has laces like Dallas', but Brett's has no lapels and lacks some of the textured areas that Dallas has.

brettjacket01nk5.jpg

brettjacket03cw4.jpg

brettjacket04xt1.jpg

brettjacket02og3.jpg

brettjacketbackrn2.jpg

Kane's jacket seems similar to Dallas', but note the different pocket zip and details on the front.

kanejacket05lr9.jpg

nostromocrew04zk3.jpg

For much of the film she wears a vest, but Lambert also wears a jacket that's of simple construction which has no lapels or laces.

alienlambertcostumeck3.jpg

lambertjacket02jr0.jpg

lambertjacket01en7.jpg

lambertjacket03yr0.jpg

lambertjacket05gi0.jpg

Ripley wears a jacket briefly.

ripleyjacketlg7.jpg

ripleyjacket02fz2.jpg

- k

Last edited:
Thanks. Most of those are screengrabs from the extras on the "Alien Quadrilogy" box set. There's a mother lode of stuff on there. :)

The posed shots are publicity pix, so presumably somebody out there has better resolution on those if they can scan the printed photos.

The lower quality blurry photos taken on-set with flash, would be continuity Polaroids.

- k

Last edited:
Stunningly spectacular pics. Thank you for posting these.

The art direction is totally awesome in this flick and seeing costumes and designs well lit pics is always a real treat.

Nick

Phase Pistol, thanks for posting those pics.. WOW! I have to get me that DVD collection. I had a orange kitty named Jonsey...he was an awseome cat.

I have some good ideas now...but when it comes down to it there are plenty of styles that can be used.

Thanks guys!

I also didn't realize there is a 'Costuming' section....oh well :rolleyes

The MIG pressure suit does look similar, but have you seen the back?

979.jpg

That looks like waaaaay to much work to modify, the screen used jackets have a simple flat back. Maybe they took pieces off a MIG suit and sewed them to another jacket? Or just based their design off the MIG suit?

Maybe they took pieces off a MIG suit

That would be my guess. I think the jackets were probably custom made and then dressed up.

There was a thread about this on the Aliens board a long way back. One of the costume groups (might have been Hangar 18) made a bunch of these jackets using pressure suits.

Ripley's jumpsuit has that funky lacing on the back iirc.

Last edited:
About 5 years ago a fellow living in CA made a set a jackets & uniforms for a group of his pals. Can't remember his name... (TK-515 maybe?)

Anyway, IIRC, he used "English cutdown trenchcoats with lacings from pressure suits."

If I can find the photos he did, I'll post them.
His were pretty accurate, given the then existing reference material (which has increased as evidenced by the "Quadrilogy" reference photos.)

My friend Mat and I put together Dallas and Cane uniforms a few years back.

A few observations...
The Dallas and Cane jackets appear to be the same base jacket.
Because of the odd buttons and large collars we thought they might be cut down British trench coats.
Both jackets have the compression lacing on the sleeves but Cane is missing the large web panels on the chest.
Dallas has gold wing insignia while Cane's has silver.
They both have the pink piping trim piping on the collars and epaulets which is also seen on the uniform shirts.

Thoughts on the Compression Lacing:
The compression lacing on the sleeves and chest of the jackets is the same as the lacing on the back of Ash's and Ripley's jumpsuits.
The lacing on Ripley's jumpsuit sleeves has been removed (probably to make it easier to roll up her sleeves or tie the sleeves around her waste).
My thinking is that they had several of these compression jumpsuits and used the back panels and sleeve lacing to jazz up the Dallas, Kane and Bret jackets.
Another reason I think this is that I've seen the same Ash/Ripley jumpsuits used in old 60's British sci fi films and Dr. Who episodes.

Our costumes:
Without access to British military surplus we did the best we could with suplies here in the states.
For the jackets we modded some old Nam era mechanics jumpsuits and made our own compression lacing.
We stenciled out the Nostromo lettering on the jacket backs and used silk screen ink for the lettering.

For the pants we bought two pair each of white painters pants and cut up the 2nd pair to make the extra pockets and knee pads.

The belts appear to be seat belts, almost certainly taken from the bombers that were purchased to build the sets and props in the film.
We simply used fastex buckles and made cover plates with the pips.

The shoes look like Kedds High tops but they've modded them by riveting small "D" rings through the lace holes.

My Dallas uniform is in storage but I'll retrieve it and post some pics.

If anyone from the UK can ID the actual jackets or jumpsuits please comment!

My friend Mat and I put together Dallas and Cane uniforms a few years back.

A few observations...
The Dallas and Cane jackets appear to be the same base jacket.
Because of the odd buttons and large collars we thought they might be cut down British trench coats.
Both jackets have the compression lacing on the sleeves but Cane is missing the large web panels on the chest.
Dallas has gold wing insignia while Cane's has silver.
They both have the pink piping trim piping on the collars and epaulets which is also seen on the uniform shirts.

Thoughts on the Compression Lacing:
The compression lacing on the sleeves and chest of the jackets is the same as the lacing on the back of Ash's and Ripley's jumpsuits.
The lacing on Ripley's jumpsuit sleeves has been removed (probably to make it easier to roll up her sleeves or tie the sleeves around her waste).
My thinking is that they had several of these compression jumpsuits and used the back panels and sleeve lacing to jazz up the Dallas, Kane and Bret jackets.
Another reason I think this is that I've seen the same Ash/Ripley jumpsuits used in old 60's British sci fi films and Dr. Who episodes.

Our costumes:
Without access to British military surplus we did the best we could with suplies here in the states.
For the jackets we modded some old Nam era mechanics jumpsuits and made our own compression lacing.
We stenciled out the Nostromo lettering on the jacket backs and used silk screen ink for the lettering.

For the pants we bought two pair each of white painters pants and cut up the 2nd pair to make the extra pockets and knee pads.

The belts appear to be seat belts, almost certainly taken from the bombers that were purchased to build the sets and props in the film.
We simply used fastex buckles and made cover plates with the pips.

The shoes look like Kedds High tops but they've modded them by riveting small "D" rings through the lace holes.

My Dallas uniform is in storage but I'll retrieve it and post some pics.

If anyone from the UK can ID the actual jackets or jumpsuits please comment!

Richard

Hey, it's been a long time since I've seen you (GateCon 2003 in Vancouver w/ Dan)!
Earlier this year I borrowed Mat's Nostromo outfit to make mine. It went pretty well as this was my first major costume sewing project. I still need to make the shoes and web belt. I made 2 more jackets for my wife Colleen and my friend John. This was a fun project! It's cool when wearing the jacket around town and somebody recognizes it being from ALIEN.

Nostromo.jpg

Randy in San Diego

Last edited:
A few more pix for the folks. :D

parkerripleyashnp9.jpg

dallasriprk6.jpg

Lots of sulking on that set it would seem.

dallas01ez7.jpg

kane02qf1.jpg

These are said to be Ian Holm's pants. I'm guessing these are his unused WHITE pants, as opposed to the blue pants you always see him in.

ashpantsfrontec6.jpg

ashpantsrearvh3.jpg

ashpantssidezg1.jpg

Ripley sometimes appears without pants.

ripleynarc08lo5.jpg

What it was like on the set that day. ("Guys? There's a girl in her underwear to the left there... Guys?" :lol)

ripleynarc04lc3.jpg

narcissusinteriorsetlk7.jpg

Here's a photo of a prototype Dallas Jacket that was sold by Propstore of London a while back.

alien-tomskeritjacket1-1.jpg

TK818, I have a couple photos of your Dallas jacket as well. I can post them here if you like.

Randy in San Diego

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back