Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

it is an over-estimation. i had no sewing machine experience prior to this project, and yet i think i did okay. it's not perfect, but i'm happy. if you find the courage to try it yourself, my favorite cheat tip is using liquid latex for fast attachments that you'll sew over later. used that for the compression lace panels. of course, you can always use fabric glue, but that takes a lot longer to dry.

Thanks dude, ya that was a smack in the face as far as easy tasks.. Some one just offered to do them, but the price seems kinda high! Maybe I'll try a few more tailors or seamstresses before I abandon hope. I certianly don't want to do it myself! LOL. I'm going for the FULL Cpt. Dallas version.

Narcissus crew/pilot jacket idea

I grabbed this flight jacket at a Goodwill store and thought I'd make a Narcissus maintenance crew/pilot jacket. It has the same epaulets as the MK3 and same flat bottom for the short cropped look. Thick ribbed collar [containing hood like the MK3] and cuffs. There are no identifiers as to the country of origin on any label but there is a date: 04/94.

Considering placing black or blue lacings on the sleeves, but don't want to cover four zippered pockets. The silver wings may be replaced on the left with the Miss Piggy patch Lee S made. The shuttlecraft patch may go on the left sleeve shoulder.

Will likely make vinyl masks for the NARCISSUS and wings to paint them on.:cool

NPJ-COMP_zps91536216.jpg~original

NPJ_BACK_zpsa9311259.jpg~original

Hi guys,

Been attempting to contact SG-RB (His PM box is full, so sent him e-mail) about lacing etc before I go to custom tailor / seamstress to get it done. Anyone out there know of any services that can help custom make a jacket with all screen accurate materials already bought? ;) Since I have "last ones" of most materials (Jacket, patches, etc..) I do not want to attempt myself and screw it up. :)

Last edited:
Re: Narcissus crew/pilot jacket idea

I grabbed this flight jacket at a Goodwill store and thought I'd make a Narcissus maintenance crew/pilot jacket. It has the same epaulets as the MK3 and same flat bottom for the short cropped look. Thick ribbed collar [containing hood like the MK3] and cuffs. There are no identifiers as to the country of origin on any label but there is a date: 04/94.

Considering placing black or blue lacings on the sleeves, but don't want to cover four zippered pockets. The silver wings may be replaced on the left with the Miss Piggy patch Lee S made. The shuttlecraft patch may go on the left sleeve shoulder.

Will likely make vinyl masks for the NARCISSUS and wings to paint them on.:cool

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/Banzai888/ALIEN REF/NPJ-COMP_zps91536216.jpg~original

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/Banzai888/ALIEN REF/NPJ_BACK_zpsa9311259.jpg~original

I think this is super rad! I think I love seeing the custom interpretations of these uniforms even more than seeing the hyper-accurate reproductions. Is that so wrong? :p

Re: Narcissus crew/pilot jacket idea

Thanks--it was a natural extension after completing my Kane jacket.:cool

I think this is super rad! I think I love seeing the custom interpretations of these uniforms even more than seeing the hyper-accurate reproductions. Is that so wrong? :p

Shoe observations

The first jpg shows the modern PF's are shorter than the vintage film versions. The 8 lace holes look more spread out to fill in the taller upper. Originally, I got a pair of the white, but the natural have a better-aged look [inset]. Then I noticed the red/blue lines look painted over--and they are in a different location than the modern version. So now I will order this gray version with no red/blue lines or heel stripe to cover.

In the second jpg, Dallas' shoes have no evidence of the red/blue line [or the paint stuck better than Ripley's] Also, his retains the stock flat sole, where Ripley's [possibly others] have the modified sole. Undecided if I want to make the front wrap-around rubber piece more accurate.

Attachments

• Rshoe01.jpg
    Rshoe01.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 390
  • Dshoe01.jpg
    Dshoe01.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 342
I've been curious if that third hole was a modification or just another thing they skipped on the modern versions, and if the 'yellow' might be the natural color of canvas? The front appear to have a canvas texture.

Ripley also has 3 vent holes,

I've read through this entire thread once and perhaps I missed it or am simply getting forgetful, but has there been any talk of alternatives to the RAF Mark 3 Cold Weather Jacket? I ask because both originals and reproductions seem both rare or pricey especially for those not living in or near the UK.

It would be nice to see a jacket that approximates the style (wide lapels, possibly similar cut and coloring, so forth) but is perhaps more economical. Seeing as how the ultimate goal is to make some significant alterations to the base jacket, I'd say this would be a fine piece of info to know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Seems to me that all the shoes were painted/repainted during principal photography. All canvas and showing the wear and tear of everyday life. Probably used some kind of oil paint (cracking under the stress of many repaints...difficult to have a stable base with canvas in the first place).
Now for copyrighted reason, they had to transform those shoes as best they could: rings for the laces, painting the red, blue lines and adding the rubber tip + third hole and adding the funky soles (not everybody of course: Dallas was different as you pointed out).
As for the "scale" of the shoe; they're the same height, it's just that, with screen caps and all the image might 've been stretched or compressed.:)

Banzai88 I LOVE that Narcissus maintenance crew jacket!! The black & blue color scheme is perfect for the Narcissus patch.:love
I picked up a black / orange flight jacket from the 90's for $1 at a yard sale, but it'll be my S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot jacket soon!
Zeffhound, any old flight or military jacket will make a good base. In ALIEN there are half a dozen styles to choose from!

Update: My Christmas comes after January 9th, 2014. Randy from San Diego to do compression lacing and front paneling for Dallas jacket. I think I'm more excited about this than anything! So, fast updates after the 9th. Have a Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!

I've read through this entire thread once and perhaps I missed it or am simply getting forgetful, but has there been any talk of alternatives to the RAF Mark 3 Cold Weather Jacket? I ask because both originals and reproductions seem both rare or pricey especially for those not living in or near the UK.

It would be nice to see a jacket that approximates the style (wide lapels, possibly similar cut and coloring, so forth) but is perhaps more economical. Seeing as how the ultimate goal is to make some significant alterations to the base jacket, I'd say this would be a fine piece of info to know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Being in the same boat where MK 3 flight jackets are hard to come by let alone in my size, I've been considering looking into work/mechanics jackets. They usually have a similar shape in terms of collar and sleeve design. You could also do a search for British tanker jackets, I've seen a few that look like they could be adapted. Consignment stores might also have something that would fit the bill. I scored this jacket a few months back and added a few patches to give it that 'in-universe' look.
weylandjacket_zps79810efc.jpg

Thanks for the advice on the jackets. I think I managed to pick one up that I like. It's in the "Ike" style meaning it has a similar sort of cut to the RAF Mark III and cheap enough that if I somehow end up up destroying it I'll probably be able to console myself through light weeping rather than bawling. Now to try and begin the process of altering it.

I was trying to find a more relevant thread (i.e., Prometheus costuming), but this one is far more active, and perhaps still interested. I just received these two patches from Prop Store of London today: They’re from the crew’s jumpsuits (probably only production used, not screen used, cause they look fairly clean). Thought they might be interesting to see.

weylandmegacorp.jpg
wings.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back