Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

True. But if these were made from scratch and not modified existing shirts, there would be no undoing the stitching; simply sew them in between the collar parts during the assembly. :D:thumbsup

sewing into the collar involves more work (undo the stitching, put the piping, close the collar, sew it close) and I'm sure there were many jackets per actor made for the movie; easy to do it like they did;)

I can confirm: if you're making one of these shirts from scratch, sewing it into the collar is infinitely easier than sewing it under properly.

If you are more than 50% through I'd finish it and sew them in. Looks cleaner, though not SA.

And I've already started opening the collar stitches!
NOOOOooooooooooooo!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thought so Nick. Did you sew them in on yours?

I can confirm: if you're making one of these shirts from scratch, sewing it into the collar is infinitely easier than sewing it under properly.

Thought so Nick. Did you sew them in on yours?

Yes; I initially attempted to sew it under the collar (as I knew that would be more accurate) but I got so frustrated with the process of making it line up correctly that I decided to go with the easier and cleaner of option of sewing it inside.

Yes; I initially attempted to sew it under the collar (as I knew that would be more accurate) but I got so frustrated with the process of making it line up correctly that I decided to go with the easier and cleaner of option of sewing it inside.

Maybe it's just me, but I do not understand how picking open a collar and aligning a piping is easier than sewing directly under the collar itself. Both require alignment, however, under the collar (screen accurate) eliminates the process of picking open a collar.

As stated, I haven't started on my jacket (waiting for it to arrive via Royal Mail and US Customs LOL) :angry so I do not know the challenge and am trying to gain some insight before that time arrives.

Update Edit: Jacket finally arrived! Mint condition and a medium green/grey color more than a OD green. (2008 Manufacture date) the velcro and inside is OD green and you can really see the color difference once opened. I will post photos when out of the wash machine / dryer. :)

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but I do not understand how picking open a collar and aligning a piping is easier than sewing directly under the collar itself. Both require alignment, however, under the collar (screen accurate) eliminates the process of picking open a collar.

As I said in my original post, the alignment becomes easier when making the shirts from scratch. There is no "picking" involved. Inserting the piping lines up perfectly when "sandwitching" between the collar pieces during construction. Turn it right side out and like magic, perfect piping.

As I said in my original post, the alignment becomes easier when making the shirts from scratch. There is no "picking" involved. Inserting the piping lines up perfectly when "sandwitching" between the collar pieces during construction. Turn it right side out and like magic, perfect piping.
O I C

Very good. Thanks.

found this in another thread. Credit to author - SSGT Kitten .....not me! I simply converted it to a vector format for clarity. Other formats available just PM me.

View attachment JACKET02.eps <== Open with Adobe Illustrator can re-size to any size without losing resolution (Vectored)
JACKET02_vectorized.png

Perfect for Jackets on the inside.

Last edited:
found this in another thread. Credit to author..not me! I simply converted it to a vector format for clarity. Other formats available just PM me.

View attachment 260663 <== Open with Adobe Illustrator can re-size to any size without losing resolution (Vectored)
View attachment 260664

Perfect for Jackets on the inside.

I think that's the label I made up a while ago. Glad to see someone vectored it to make it bigger. Any are welcome to use it; please remember that while I feel it is very inkeeping with the feel of the movie, it's in NO WAY screen accurate.

Charlie

Question: What material (Fabric) is everyone using for their backing on the lacing panels? I bought military canvas, it seems way too thick and the OD green is off color too. I would appreciate any feedback on this one.

Thanks!
James B.

Dallas-Wings.jpgMaterials.jpgShoulder-Patches.jpgStencil.jpg

Here is some caparison shots of patches and such...

- - - Updated - - -

Jacket.jpgJacket2.jpg

Weird, the jacket looks more grey-ish than green when you see it in real life as compared to these photos. It's a 2008 version from Royal Marines (NOT RAF version, maybe why the color is slightly different?). Same jacket puffy pen holders.

Should I risk a dye job? or go as-is? Some posts about Royal Blue Liquid Dye, but I don't know. Looking for opinions I have a nice jacket and am scared to ruin it, however, on the other hand I have all screen accurate stuff....aaggghhhh!!!

Last edited:
i wouldn't worry very much about risking the dye job with your jacket; my blue dye on green fabric gave my jacket the perfect look... until it eventually washed out and turned green again. :\ it didn't help that i freaked at the last second and added a dash of bleach to make sure the jacket didn't turn too blue. it was the rewash after that that ruined the dye job. oh well.
wish i was able to find those screen accurate patches! damn. great job so far!

so is it hard to come by more legit patches??

Yes, considering the creator (Jeff Milner) does not have any more. I bought his last ones. He had only 1 Dallas Gold Wings left when I bought it. I did a lot of research to find him and luckily he answered my e-mail I sent. They weren't cheap and shipped from overseas.

Update: Ok, down 1 seamstress. Says, "project too complicated." Hopefully more luck as I search for someone to put all my materials together. Damn. With patterns and all..too complicated sounds a bit of an over-estimation.

it is an over-estimation. i had no sewing machine experience prior to this project, and yet i think i did okay. it's not perfect, but i'm happy. if you find the courage to try it yourself, my favorite cheat tip is using liquid latex for fast attachments that you'll sew over later. used that for the compression lace panels. of course, you can always use fabric glue, but that takes a lot longer to dry.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back