Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

i learned so much, too! i got a few things wrong, however, and a few other things i should have worked harder on, but for making a screen-accurate costume for the first time, with no previous sewing experience, i'll have to say that i'm satisfied.
if i could start over, i would have really perfected the color i wanted on the jacket, and i would have created narrower compression lace panels on the sleeves. i also would have done it plenty of time in advance to get those patches softened without forcing it, and to weatherize the "Nostromo" a bit. i also would have done a lot better job with those damn pants (even dye job, narrower below-knee bands, weatherizing), and would have lost a good amount of weight. maybe i would have created a belt, too.

and i wish i could say i created the chestburster myself!

good luck, and if you have any questions, hit me up, if you'd like! some of my harmless cheating methods paid off. ;)

Really nice to see some "fresh blood" on this thread! (pun intended). Love that chest burster! I need to get back to finishing my uniform. I went with the M1A US flight jacket, as I had several and finding a sz8 Mk3 was getting expensive! Shirt and pants are still in my wife's sewing room waiting on "someday". Halloween 2011 041.JPG

thanks, Interceptor6! love that bluer tint to your "Nostromo." i wish i could have found a blue fabric paint to add to the green i used. good luck finishing your uniform! cool hat, by the way. :)

thanks, Interceptor6! love that bluer tint to your "Nostromo." i wish i could have found a blue fabric paint to add to the green i used. good luck finishing your uniform! cool hat, by the way. :)

Thanks AD, It was a turquoise blue with a bit of black & white combined to muddy the sheen of the blue. Hat has since been updated to a better one with the "scrambled eggs"on the brim.

have just joined the forum to find info on my favourite subjects. This thread and your work AD has justified all my effort to find the info and has blown me away with the professionalism shown by you the members on here. I HAVE GOT TO HAVE ME ONE OF THEM JACKETS.... e-bay here we come.
Thanks everyone
SC

Anyone have the cord diameter used in the original jacket for the sleeve lacing?

I have a few alternative cords that might work without being so thick looking. 3mm diameter para-cord seems excessive and bulky looking. maybe something about 2.5mm and down? I wonder what the diameter of lacing the GB-4 flight suit had. hmmm... anyone got those specs?

i wish i had the specs. the paracord i used was definitely stiff and bulky. i spent too much time and energy trying to soften it by washing it in hot water and drying it at the hottest setting a few times, and it didn't loosen as much as i had hoped. i considered hollowing out the cords, but didn't want to possibly end up with disheveled threads. by the time i thought about looking into other types of cords, it was too close to Halloween. :\
if you find something closer to what you want, please let me know! i'm down to replace these laces.

i wish i had the specs. the paracord i used was definitely stiff and bulky. i spent too much time and energy trying to soften it by washing it in hot water and drying it at the hottest setting a few times, and it didn't loosen as much as i had hoped. i considered hollowing out the cords, but didn't want to possibly end up with disheveled threads. by the time i thought about looking into other types of cords, it was too close to Halloween. :\
if you find something closer to what you want, please let me know! i'm down to replace these laces.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong but your cord looks like it's 4 - 5mm thick in diameter. Washing sturdy paracord built to withstand the elements prolly didn't work that well. LOL Agreed.

This is what I found at 2.5mm thickness and comes in OD Green.
New 3 Strand Core Paracord Parachute Cord Lanyard Rope Mil Spec Type III 300 Ft | eBay

yeah, wish i had found thinner paracord! but everywhere i went, it was all the same. wow, 4-5, is way too much! i guess i was just happy to find the exact color i wanted, and didn't think to search online for something better. damn that sturdy paracord! haha. that size you found is perfect! i'll have to get some of that. :)

yeah, wish i had found thinner paracord! but everywhere i went, it was all the same. wow, 4-5, is way too much! i guess i was just happy to find the exact color i wanted, and didn't think to search online for something better. damn that sturdy paracord! haha. that size you found is perfect! i'll have to get some of that. :)

They have 1mm to 1.5mm cord here:
Busy Bead Shamballa Nylon Cord - Choose Colour & Size | eBay

So if we search Google for the same brand , I'm sure it can be found states-side.

I dunno what size I'm going to use yet. hmmm...

That would be my guess. I think the jackets were probably custom made and then dressed up.

There was a thread about this on the Aliens board a long way back. One of the costume groups (might have been Hangar 18) made a bunch of these jackets using pressure suits.

Ripley's jumpsuit has that funky lacing on the back iirc.
I got off my butt and took pics of the back of my MiG suit
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384116582.585960.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384116598.998888.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1384116619.254944.jpg

Stuff I used was about 4mm and works fine, very flexible.

As soon as you cut it seal the ends with a lighter or candle flame and flatten out the mushroomed end so it has a slim profile.
Be careful since the material will be molten hot and burn you.

When threading it through the loops first open them with something pointed like a pencil so they slip through easily.
Do one lace at a time zig zagging the full length then do the other lace.

Doing that should keep the lacing time down to 10-15 minutes a strand maybe less.

The cording on my A.L.I.C.E. pack is the same size.

Last edited:
Paracord Info (For Lacing) What's the Difference? We look mainly at diameters since ANY tensile strength will do for this application.

Please break out your rulers to visualize the thickness!

All come in OD Green OR Olive Drab Green(is what OD means)

*The MIL-C-5040 Type 1A survival cord is a mere 1/16" in diameter yet has a tensile strength of 100 lbs. (1.5875mm Diameter) Kinda Thin?? Maybe..
*550 Paracord Commercial Type III 7-Strand (3.1750mm - 3.9688mm diameter depending on manufacturer) Too Bulky!
*750 Parachute Cord - Military Spec Type 4 Paracord - MIL-C-5040H & PIA-C-5040 (Diameter: 4.7625mm) Insanely thick!

*3 Strand Core Paracord Parachute Cord Lanyard Rope Mil Spec Type III (Diameter: approx 2.5mm) Ideal perhaps...

Know your Canvas for creating a Dallas Front Panel

*CANVAK Treated OD #10 Cotton Canvas Pre 80's Mil Spec Canvas (Ideal) Available Here: CANVAK Treated #10 Cotton Canvas (Does have a certain smell due to treatments for waterproofing and a semi-waxy feel)
*Current real, US made MILSPEC canvas material. (Modern Cheap by the yard) Available Here: Military Canvas Material By The Yard

*Sorry, most links are for USA buyers. I spent a lot of money shipping stuff (Jacket, etc..) here from the UK LOL ;)

Piping Not Barbie Pink!!! How to:
*Bias Tape Maxi Piping 1/2" 2-1/2 Yards-Oyster <= Off white to naturally darken a very slight pink color AND look slightly dirty / worn out. Available here: Bias Tape Maxi Piping 1/2" 2-1/2 Yards-Oyster - Newegg.com
*Rit Dye Liquid 8 Ounces-Violet <= Only use a drop or two and TEST first to get the color right. Notice it's LIQUID dye!!! No chances with a bad powder disolve. Nice even color! Available Here: Rit Dye Liquid 8 Ounces-Violet - Newegg.com

Use a test cut (I bought two packs Bias Tape piping..they are CHEAP!) in a container with hot water and a couple of well mixed in drops of the liquid dye. BINGO! Keep testing until satisfied. Dye the rest once preferred color is achieved. If you mess up you should have Plenty of tape left if you bought two packs.

thanks, Flexserve! wish this was on the thread before i finished my jacket. :) but it's not too late to improve my jacket!

btw, if you guys already got yourselves pink piping, it can be usable! just scrub it with the abrasive side of a typical dish sponge and some bleach, and you'll end up with a nice, subtle pink like i did.

patchpincloseup_zps213c1143.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back