Alien / Nostromo Uniforms

Mat/ TK818: sorry for not remembering your name, but quality prop replicas I do recall.

Didn't you also do a Panzer Kerberous squad as well?

SG-RB/ Randy: thanks for the interesting prototype photo & the info on the watch. Double watch just like Ridley did w/ Brayant's watch in Blade Runner.

Here's the guy who almost played Kane... an actor named Jon Finch. He dropped out tho due to illness.

finchaskane01xb9.jpg

I did not know this! In all the time I've been a fan of Alien, I had never heard this info. Thanks for the pic!

I did not know this! In all the time I've been a fan of Alien, I had never heard this info. Thanks for the pic!

The whole story of Jon Finch's departure from Alien is covered in one of the documentaries on the DVD. IIRC, he turned up to the set really sick, and had to be taken to hospital, where he was diagnosed with diabetes.

John Hurt happened to be in town and available, and the rest is history :thumbsup

Thanks for all the great picts!

I might have to make one of these jackets too!
(along with an A3 jailor jacket)

I'm partial to the Dallas + Brett ones, but the Brett seems
to be a lot more work involved.

The watches are interesting, is that two watches strung together,

and some type of orange rubber backing?

The whole story of Jon Finch's departure from Alien is covered in one of the documentaries on the DVD. IIRC, he turned up to the set really sick, and had to be taken to hospital, where he was diagnosed with diabetes.

John Hurt happened to be in town and available, and the rest is history :thumbsup

Guess I should actually watch that part of the DVD some day.:lol

Does the Dallas jacket have a yellow WY wing badge?

I've only seen the light blue ones made.

Does the Dallas jacket have a yellow WY wing badge?

I've only seen the light blue ones made.

Yes, the Dallas jacket had a yellow/gold wing patch and Kane's had a silver wing patch. Unfortunately, neither has been produced for sale as far as I know. I suppose you could use one of the blue patches as a pattern and take it to a custom embroidery shop to see if they could duplicate it in your color of choice.

Randy in San Diego

That should be pretty easy. I've seen several people show off custom made patches.

I'm wondering about that patch on Bret's jacket. It looks like a pair of wings (different from the ones Kane and Dallas wear) with the engineering pip in the center.

We have a few Alien pieces in our collection, but this thread has sparked a new interest.

Would like to have some Nostromo stuff, and then adding our Aliens collectables. I think we need to look for some new mannequis.

Thanks

Boushhfan

Hey Randy, long time no see!
Sweet Nostromo uniform!
I still need to put a shirt together.
Yes, please post any pics you want and thanks.
I wish Mat and I had had this thread when we hacked together our uniforms!
Interesting how varied each uniform is, I see that Dallas has a different belt.

Awesome pics, great info, awesome thread!

Here's a tidbit for ya... the brand of cigs chain-smoked aboard the Nostromo. :cool

alienbalajicigaretteswq9.jpg

alienbalajicigarettessiae7.jpg

The cigarettes themselves appear to be a pale yellow in color.

balajiyellowcigaretteska0.jpg

Last edited:
More Dallas.

Not too evident from the shots I already posted, are the BUTTONHOLES in his left lapel and left-side collar (on a tab).

dallaslapelbuttonholelq0.jpg

The printing on the back (silkscreen?) seems to be in a light green or gray.

dallasbackkv1.jpg

dallasback02eh9.jpg

The yellow wings logo has a brass nipple or pip of some kind in the middle there. Possibly half of one of the snap fasteners. Actually the wings on his jacket seem to have the snap on them as well (see photo above)

dallasyellowwingsus8.jpg

Interesting costume blooper: Dallas has his normal yellow wings in the break-room scene where Lambert tells him there's ten more months of flight time before reaching Earth

dallasywllowwingsbreakrdo3.jpg

But seconds later, when the crew rushes to Sickbay to visit the revived Kane, Dallas suddenly has blue wings.

dallasbluewingssickbay2gw8.jpg

This wings motif BTW is the logo of the Weylan-Yutani Corporation in this film. The big "W-Y" logo didn't show up until ALIENS (but was used in later films as well).

The Weylan Yutani wings even appear on the beer can.

beercanwyaspenbeerdd2.jpg

- k

Last edited:
Here's a few more photos of TK818/Richard's & Mat's Nostromo outfits.

TK818Mat.jpg

TK818.jpg

DallasJKT.jpg

DallasJKT1.jpg

Randy in San Diego

Last edited:
More costume bloopers: the Nostromo patch on Brett's cap switches from the light version to the dark version when he is killed; and the patches on Kane's t-shirt also switch during the chestburster scene. :rolleyes

I suppose in both cases it's simply due to the FX crew using the wrong patches by mistake.

I just googled this up using "nostromo" + "font," but couldn't find anything quickly because apparently there's a font *called* Nostromo...

... but what font is that used on the back of the jacket?

The jacket font appears to be "Pump Bold" on Dallas, and "Pump Demibold" on Brett and Parker. Hard to be certain given the low quality photos I have at the moment. The Parker jacket was auctioned a few years ago tho I think...

jacketbackta3.jpg

Possibly some letters were tweaked manually to improve readability; to me the "S" looks more open for example. Or perhaps they used a different font from another manufacturer, or the letters could all be hand-drawn for all I know (ALIEN was made before the Mac came out! :lol)

A slightly lighter weight of Pump was used on the Moonbase Alpha patches seen in "Space 1999" (also a British production, and which used some of the same designers as ALIEN)

alphalogojh4.jpg

Pump Bold set tight is used for the nameplates on the Bridge stations and also the extravehicular space suits

nameplatesdl6.jpg

(note the actual nameplate has some kind of design to the right of the name, but I approximated with a rectangle)

For the shoulder patch, Pump Light appears to be the primary font used on the USCSS NOSTROMO lettering. The letter "C" is more closed and could be from another font such as Futura.

The top bar on the "T" is longer on the patch version, and the "R" has a straight leg. So either this was hand-redrawn from Pump, or maybe there's another font out there that is substantially the same as Pump but from another manufacturer (as often happens).

The "U" and "N" are a bit wider on the patch than in the font (but this is the same letterform, and it could have just been drawn wider).

Gill Sans is a good match for the registry number.

patchfontte3.jpg

Note that this supposedly production-used gray patch has a circular outline (it does not go to squared sides toward the bottom, like the blue patch which is more widely replicated).

Possibly the circular patch is a prototype, or maybe it's a smaller version made for the women's uniforms.

ripleycostume5bls6.jpg

Patches used in the film also seem to be made from a lighter cloth than the fairly stiff replica patches made by Thinking Cap Company and others.

The registration number plate on the Nostromo miniature seems to use a weight of Futura, which is a font used commonly on vehicles in Gerry Anderson productions like Thunderbirds.

nostromoserialnumberli6.jpg

(and yes the registration number is different on the patches, on the ship model, and in the dialogue. :lol)

- k

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back