TMP IRON MAN - New Photos Feb 2011. Page 72.

Re: Iron Man Costume. TMP. New photos London page 59

I have eyes! (at least, the mechanics are figured out...time to fine tune the process).

Okay- bought a headlamp LED set. It is the clip-on style that goes on the bill of your baseball cap. They are 3 super bright LEDs. Box said they are good for 100,000 hours and battery burn time constant is 24-36 hours.

Really like the idea with the hot glue stick, hot glue diffuses LED light really well! I've got one of those lights as well, I thought it was for the bicycle of something, I just bought it for the lights. Least you can have your eyes flash if you want.

Right, that's it.

I've decided to sell my soul for one of these sets of armor!

i really like the idea man. i am just curious to see the vision on the helmet..it looks great though... i just dont want to wander into people and things... haha:lol

but excellent work and i hope to be seeing more post like that..(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

were did you get the glasses at?? what did they look like before the butchering took place..:lol:lol

Re: Iron Man Costume. Tmp. New UPDATE page 52.

OK, I am dropping by a little late but TMP asked me to come on by if I could shed some light on a few things

I read the great letter that was posted by one of the guys from SWS but part of what he mentioned is a little short

there were more then 2 full suits, to date I have seen at least 4 different full suits, two were battle damaged and two were perfect, so I'm not sure if he is just referring to the perfect ones

the abdomen, fingures not thumbs, neck, back and front of the knees, lower back, inner elbows, and a couple of other little areas are all f42 urethane rubber that were interestingly painted

RDJ wore the top half of the suit several times during filming, but its true that he never wore the entire thing

the article that mentions that the suit was cumbersome was embellished
, the suit that the stunt men wore moved very very well. if you have doubt of that look at some of the behinds the scenes when the stunt men are laying down and they have no difficulty rolling over and standing up, but you cant do cart wheels in it LOL!

the cod is a hard piece, but there is nothing but quilted undersuit to the left and right thigh areas , and unless your up close its not noticeable

the entire undersuit limbs are quilted, the undersuit hood is quilted as well
and melds very well intot he back of the neck about 1 inch under the helmet which gave the wearer the ease of moving the neck without strain

the suit stands exactly 6'5 (measurements taken of one battle suit and one hero suit, I'm 6'3 and other then being a little tight around the mid section by about 5 inches the suit looked like it would fit me very very well

the swivel mech of the hips and ankles is sweet
the shoulders pivot and fold up completely on to the trapezius

lets see what else

um, the trapezeus socket that you see in the back was functional and
when the chest and back wer joined it helped lock them together

the abdomin plate is one piece on the stunt suits, and sectional on the hero
the back plate is the same way, they both velcro into the cod front and back, the cod being fiberglass front and back

the neck is one piece that velcos over itself in the back on the right hand side. and that piece in urethane runs all the way down to the middle of the shoulderblade area

I dont think that I have seen anyone get the eyes right still
everyone misses out on the angle and that the light pads are above the
area where you look out of the cowl, someone got close and included the double socketing of the eyes, but it seems like everyone misses that the eyes are on an angle and the light pads have angled ends

also both the eyes, chest cavity, and hand lights were done the same way and they all had a reflective laminate on the backside that gave them extra
glow (not a real good way to describe it) so that even when the lights are turned off they each glow slightly do to simple light reflection

the hand/wrist covers that you see fold up so he can fire a little rocket
really do fold up and back and there was a little nozzle barrel on two out of the four suits I spent time with

so much of this suit was two pieces seamed on center
the hands and chest are the major ones that come to mind

I think when you change the color of your undersuit and add the quilting to it, and maybe add a few grebles to the side fo the pec, well you'll be as close as you could want to be

only thing I would suggest is that for film accurate coloring is that you change your brass areas to be bright brass instead of antique brass. Paint each of the brass areas with aluminum silver first, then spray a thin layer of brass over that next, take a 3m scotch pad (the red one) and in smooth even strokes, do head to chin brush passes giving the brass the look of brushed brass, you can also spend a little extra time and give the edges of everything a little extra brushing so that more of the silver starts to show thru, that and have all of your red areas have a low sheen to them

the mach 2 was all brushed so that it has that brushed steel finish

this is how the film finish was done and is why the brass areas literally glow in comparison to the hot rod red, that along with running a bit of flat charcoal black in all of the seams and a few other areas to give shading
and depth to the changes in geometry

I think that's about it for this post as I covered everything I could think of
since its been a year since I have been around any of the suits and I don't have the photos that I took of everything handy

if I can remember anything else and you want to know more I'll post it

Thank you so much for joining us. I am very glad you took the time. :)
I hope this has given us all some interesting info for us all to use.

:)

If you find any photos, please share :)

That was a really extensive post, much appreciated! Sheds alot of light into the workings and gubbins.

Awesome post. So the "gold" color isn't actually gold, but brass? I've heard how the real suits were super dark "red" in natural lighting, but appear brighter red when you see them under stage lighting. What color "red" have you found the suits to be closest to?

that is really awesome to get the insight from the movie.. great post BATS i hope to be hearing more from you about the Iron Man Suits..

your all welcome
I hope you use the info in good health

in person the red is pretty dark
best I can relate it to on fast note
is daredevil red which was called colonial red
if I recall

thats not the exact color but yes it was dark in person
this is very true of most film colors
under high light they wash out

one of the ones that comes to mind that is a perfect example of that
is the clooney batsuit and the superman returns suit
both in person at 100 times darker then you think

this is no different

the important rather then worring about if your 100% accurate is that your 100% high quality with all your work
then who cares if this greeble doesnt match 110%

not to get into it with anyone, but if you try to take it to far you'll have to own four of these suits like some guys have 4 obi lightsabers case of a dent or lighting change

I love top quality alot more then I do accurate

so keep moving forward on your suit until its the best that you could ever want or hope it to be

and then make me one! :lol

on one last note from before
anything referred to as foam rubber was urethane foam and not latex foam
I wanted to make sure I was clear on that even though I doubt anyone things it was soft latex foam for anything there

another one too

for those of you with copies of the sideshow 1:1 bust, the colors of that and the hero are really really close, but they aren't doing any of the brushing so it has no depth from the two I have seen, its also about 1% smaller then the hero, the bolt on his chest left and right should exactly fit a brand new quarter

because I was laughing alot during the inspection of the hero battle suit
I made a joke to someone there that I though it was the exact size of a quarter, and about ten seconds later, I think I even have a photo of it because for some reason I found it hilarious

you would have to have heard the supermarket kiddy ride joke at the time to find it funny now so we'll skip that

all I can close with is that this suit really helped me think of a couple of
new ways to try things when it comes to truelly mechanical pieces that are machined and not sculpted.

cant wait for the second film

There was a behind the scenes featurette on MTV or some other website that was in 4 maybe 5 parts. In part 4 RDJ is shown suiting up. He is wearng more than just the top half. This was to film the scene with Howard just before his face plate comes down. He is wearing everything from the knees up. Check it from 2:01
http://www.movieweb.com/play/VIpUGrrudRutts?KeepThis=true&height=557&width=980&TB_iframe=true

Last edited:

You are right, he only wore the costume to his knee. Most of the scenes he filmed in the suit was never used for final shot. RDJ said he whould preform better without the suit wearing a CGI pattern suit so they could CGI the suit on him in the movie.

He was never in the entire suit, only to the knees.

it is pretty awesome to be hearing from you again BATS. I am very enthused about the suit from hearing about the movie suits you talk about.. so what was it exactly that you did for the Iron Man movie?? and also are you working on the set of Iron Man 2??

it is pretty awesome to be hearing from you again BATS. I am very enthused about the suit from hearing about the movie suits you talk about.. so what was it exactly that you did for the Iron Man movie?? and also are you working on the set of Iron Man 2??

thanks! its nice to hear that once in a while instead of that I am a jerk for not sharing all the crap crammed into my head

I have not done any film work do date, only prop replication like a lot of the guys here. I've been offered several studio jobs but nothing huge and nothing worth doing for the pay that's offered. Unless your the prop master on a film the pay is about that of taco bell, and your always 6 weeks late even before you start.

Given my golden rule of museum quality only, that can rarely been done for cheap and never be done in a hurry.

Just look at all the amazing pieces done here that qualify for museum grade and they usually take the craftsman about a year to get it perfect.

I respect and my work lives by that rule! and unlike for film, there is no need to filter and touch up the finished piece.

my experience in special fx and being very well know for being a quality nut (ahole~) combined with contacts and friends that work in hollywood I can get access to just about anything that interests me or interests my partner.

a lot of the access I get to things is secret private time, and then other times its just a matter of either knowing a collector with something ooooooooor going and seeing things at places like the Motion Picture Museum, Propstore, and PIH when they have stuff. Plenty of times I get asked by collectors abroad to go and inspect and build a report on the quality of pieces up for auction so they can bid in confidence. So me and my camera got and play with movie stuff for the day.

Cause we all know how photos can lie and hide things.

anyways, long story short
not a film guy, just a regular prop maker like everyone here

ps. as for iron man 2, all I have seen and heard so far is two drawings and a
little bit about the general direction the film may take, but its so early and they have only
laid down a little bit of film so far. haven't heard if SWS has even started any of the propwork
yet.

Since I have been swamped with a new business that we started recently, I have little time
to run all over studio land, which I kinda miss. But given the industry is trashed to hell right
now there isn't much going on. The greed of the studios is just slamming everything to a halt
again and just like the last time... when things return, they will only return in small compared
to before.

If I get anymore sharable info on the suits or if something pops in my head from before I'll let you all know.

Now its up to you to take all the things everyone has told and use it to make the most amazing things possible!

Last edited:

your life sounds pretty awesome i am glad you shared some of what you do.. as for the TMP Iron Man Armor do you have a set??

Any word from you DecaturVader.. Have you made any more progress??

your life sounds pretty awesome i am glad you shared some of what you do.. as for the TMP Iron Man Armor do you have a set??

my life has its moments~
lately like everyone else its really messed up by the leaders
trying to run the world into the ground

but nothing stays down forever~

Nope, nothing ironman in my collection.
I'd like to add a sideshow 1:1 bust at some point
but I am busy working on some stuff for my cave~

that sounds awesome. so you have a batcave.. do you have a batman costume?? my buddy here has a begins batman suit. It is pretty awesome we were working on the holster for the grapple gun.. it is pretty hard to find some reference images of that thing..

as for the 1:1 sideshow bust.. i am still amazed at the work sideshow puts out.. they really are a valuable asset to the prop community..

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back