Forbidden Planet Rifle

Lost in Trek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone ever made the rifle used in Forbidden Planet either as a kit or finished piece? Would love to get one of these.

I made myself one quite a few years back using a casting of the lower grips from an original. I then machined the other parts using the dimensions taken from the rest of the original. At a friends insistance the parts have been clayed up for 4 months waiting on rubber, just no time anymore. I'll find a pic of my creation and post it.

Please do post a pic. I've seen photo's of the originals but never a replica.

Did you put a working light inside?

This is the rifle I made. It's about as close to an original that I can get considering the grip frame is cast from an original. The other parts will be molded at some time.

fprifle1.jpg

NickyTea: nice repro!

Really love the classic look to that blaster.
(1st use of the word "blaster" was in that film, IIRC).

The term Blaster had been used in sf stories, and novels for years before FP. Block and Adler had a very good understanding of written sf, and they used it well. They also had a good handle on mythology, see the deleted Unicorn principle scene in the new dvd.

I believe that FP was also the first use in a movie of Hyperspace, Hyperdrive, and Asimov's three laws of robotics (unnamed) to name three. Note also that Chief Quinn was using wireless earphones.

David.

Nick, that is a classic. Excellent job.

I am still saving for your pistol kit!
(you do have one still squirreled away, right?)
LOL!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back