*sigh* Yet another Captain Jack Sparrow! (lotsa pics)

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Some might remember me from many months back as being in the market for a "super-budget" Captain Jack Sparrow costume. I started off with one of Magnoli's screen-accurate bandannas, and decided I would make the rest of it with thrift-store discoveries.

Boy, was I wrong. :rolleyes

It turned into a mild obsession for many months (I started in February, and I was trying my hardest to get it at least fairly accurate for the release of the third movie in May), and it strayed way out of my original budget, and it's not 100% accurate...but I'm pretty damn happy with it. Here are some pictures (taken at various different times, so forgive me for getting the beads mixed around once in a while!).

100_1290.jpg

100_1303.jpg

100_1306.jpg

(this one was supposed to be a dramatic looking-into-the-distance pose, but it didn't really work...in retrospect, perhaps I should have gone for the "got a little Captain in you?" knee-raise)

The total cost came to US$387, by my count. Not quite as super-budget as I had originally planned (college be damned!), but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than many of the other, more accurate Sparrow costumes 'round here. And you know what? I'm okay with that!

And now, for those who are at all interested (since I know I want to show off my beginner's handiwork, and some people like seeing a bit of the process of things), some detail pictures and info. If you're not interested in any of that, you can stop reading now. :):

-The shirt, which didn't seem interesting enough to take an individual picture of, is the least-accurate part of the costume. That said, I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Started life a large white men's button-down thrift-store shirt; I removed the breast pocket, got rid of some stitches in the cuffs (to make the sleeves "poofier"), sewed halfway up the front and removed the buttons, so now it looks pretty far removed from its origins.

-The bandanna and beads are the only parts of the costume that I used more-or-less unaltered from when I purchased them (I re-strung one of the bead strands onto leather).

-The flintlock I filled to add weight, and re-painted, though it doesn't show up terribly different on camera, so I didn't bother.

-Vest I made myself from a slightly-modified Simplicity pattern (and though you can't tell in the picture, the lining/back fabric is indeed pinstriped):
100_1327.jpg

-Frock coat, also made by myself from a slightly-modified Simplicity pattern (note the open cuffs). I am also extremely proud of the fabric I found for it. It cost $24 for six yards, so it's a whole lot cheaper than the screen-accurate fabric, but it's got a decently convincing roughness to it as well as a perfect blend of blue/brown/green in the coloring:
100_1307.jpg

100_1308.jpg

-Breeches I made based off a pair of gray thrift-store pants. I shortened the legs, tightened the legs (more form-fitting), added buttons along the side seam near the leghole, and made a velcro-open-and-close flap to cover the fly. All in all, they look pretty convincing!
100_1329.jpg

-The boots I made myself from fake suede and a pair of thrift-store shoes, using Toby's fantastic tutorial. The edges ain't perfect, and the glue shows a little, but hey - I'm happy!
100_1252.jpg

-The accurate-ish buckle is a hand-repainted toy from the Jack Sparrow Gear set, attached to a new, longer belt. The inaccurate one is actually an electrical socket cover that I thought looked nice and ornate, so I threaded a belt through it! The sash was made by taking another thrift-store shirt, cutting it into strips, and sewing them together.
100_1322.jpg

100_1230.jpg

100_1190.jpg

-The compass was also part of the Sparrow toy set. I filled it to add some weight, then re-painted the entire thing.
100_1325.jpg

-And last but not least, the sailor's glove and wrist wrap. I made the glove myself from scrap leather, thread, glue, and shoe polish. I cut the wrist wrap from a good rough-looking plaid-ish thrift store skirt.
100_1209.jpg

Well, folks, I hope you enjoyed it! I know it has inaccuracies, and it could use some more details (like the belt buckle, baldric, mermaid/bone/chicken foot trinket, and such).....but it was the first time I've ever gone quote-unquote "all out" on a costume, accuracy-wise, and I could hardly be happier with the final product!

Considering your budget, I think you did a great job. I'm guessing most people wouldn't notice the inaccuracies if you handed them an itemized list.

son, ive been in the sparrow business for more that 5 years.. and still i havent finish me costume.... i mean 100% exact replica... at the moment is 98%

looking good matey... keep rocking !
Cap.Cristian

I just started the same journey. I've got an excellent wig coming from a member here that I got a great deal on, I found some cheap fabric for a waistcoat, I bought the costumebase pants, shirt, sashes (two of them to make the right length) and a set of buckles. I'm going to make my own hat, belts, and boots. (same way as your boots, those look great, I hope mine turn out that well). Total cost should be a little more than yours, about $450 maybe. Compared to the other costumes I've done, that's a pretty low budget, and one that I sorely needed.

Wow, this thread came back from the grave! :lol I wore the whole get-up three times: the Pirates 3 premiere (80% complete at the time), renaissance fair 2007, and Halloween 2007. I haven't worn it since then myself, but it's been borrowed by friends for pirate-themed parties and Halloweens, so I'm glad it's still getting good use!

Actually...now that Pirates 4 is in production, I should probably reclaim it from the friend who borrowed it last!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back