Godzilla!!!!!

josephchoi

:lol: I don't see too many G-fans around here I don't think. I'm joseph and I'm pretty new here.

Now for my question: has anyone attempted a Godzilla costume before?

I'm thinking the Japanese one btw :)

I tried to talk a friend of mine-who is a professional Make up FX artist- into it a dozen times he keeps saying- "someday..." we shall see - below is the Davy Jones he did for this year---
smallerAlansasdavyjones.JPG

smalleralansaasdavyjones2.JPG

It would be my "Holy grail prop" to have a life-size Godzilla suit. Unfortunately, I haven't spent the time to develop the skills to make one and they aren't readily available :(

More Godilla fans then you think are here I bet.

Yes, a Godzilla suit would be the ultimate.
And I would head straight for the local model railroad in it!
Hell I even like that cheesy one in "One Crazy Summer".

Here is Zira one of our pets.
Somtimes known as GodZira!

godzira.jpg

There are a few interesting videos at Youtube for a "godzilla suit" search...
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=godzilla+suit

I think when they designed the Big G they had a cat in mind:lol

I seem to recall one of the later Godzilla designers mentioning he put a little of his own cats features into the face.

However they did it, Godzilla has soul for sure.

Hope they dont wait much longer to start making them again.

I made one for my son like 10 years ago. Earlier that summer I'd snatched this huge roll of pinkish carpet foam that somebody had set out for the garbage men, and I'd brought it back to the shop for a rainy day. :lol

One day I asked Nic what he wanted to be for Halloween, and he blurted out "GODZILLA!" For a minute or so, I was like "Ohh! uhh... Hmmm..." :eek
Then I remembered the roll of foam.

For the head, I measured Nic's head, which by a happy coincidence, was the same diameter as a coffee can, so I had a ready armature to start on. I wrapped some of the foam around the can and hot glued the seam for a neck. then I stacked more of the foam up to block out the top of the head and the face. Then I VERY carefully attacked it with my dremel on high speed and a coarse sanding drum until it was the right shape. I made a couple resin eyes and sculpted the upper and lower inner mouth inserts, made Ultracal molds and made latex copies.

I built up the ridges on the head and back of the neck by just cutting them out of more of the foam sheet and tacking them on with superglue.

Once everything was attached, I mixed up a batch of latex with dark grey acrylic paint and stippled the heck out of the whole head to seal everything together.

Then it got really masochistic-

I took one of his old Power Ranger one piece costumes and proceeded to cover it with thousands of little foam "french fries" that I cut out of the foam sheeting, soaked in latex and stuck on. (Hehe, there was sharp spike in the electric bill from the hairdryer that month! :lol)

Once I got the body covered and had built up Godzilla's paunch and shoulders, I took one of those big, cylindrical foam pool toys, covered it with thousands more foam french fries, for the tail, then glue it to the butt of the main suit with a lot of latex and let it cure overnight.

For the hands, I couldn't get the boy to sit still long enough for a hand cast, so I made two clay Godzilla hands, checked the size against his hands, then dipped them in latex. When that was cured, I pulled them off, letting them go inside out, and poof! two Godzilla hands complete w/ texture! :D

By the time I got to the feet, I was getting pretty burned out, so I just sculpted one toenail, made a plaster mold and cast 8 copies. The feet were more stacked foam, with a cavity cut in the middle layers for his feet. For the soles, I just poured a couple big puddles of latex on a sheet of diamond textured ceiling light plastic, let it cure, then cut out the soles and glued them to the bottom of the feet w/ more latex.

The finished suit weighed close to 40 lbs and he had trouble walking any great distance in it, but boy did he learn to whip that tail around! Within 30 seconds of suiting up, he swung his butt around and "THWACK!" one of the cats flew a couple feet, then half ran, half stumbled from the room! :lol

-Sarge

Man that's a lot of work, I would love to see some pics of that costume.

I'm looking... all my originals got lost a few years ago when Photopoint went out of business. I've been looking around on google to see if any of them might have accidentally ended up as someone's myspace pic or something.:lol

There was one I sent out quite a few times where I photoshopped him in the costume walking behind (and towering over) our barn. With any luck, maybe one ofthe Fyberdyne guys might still have a copy. :)

-Sarge

Gonna attempt to make one. Found a guy that did one from NY on Youtube that did a 60's version. Pretty cool! Hope mine could be half as good.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back