Cardboard domes....are they out there?

Ramsey

Sr Member
Ok, here's a challenge for you guys...hope someone can offer any advice.

I've been planning to build an R2-D2 for years now...but with pretty much zero knowledge or ability to work with metal, I want to make one mostly out of cardboard, but still try to make it look as close to accurate as possible.

My problem, as you would expect, is with the dome. I can't afford a metal dome, and wouldn't know how to work with it if I could...but is there anyone who may know if there are cardboard domes available anywhere?
You know, the thick, multi-layered cardboard that I could cut the shapes out of with a good, sharp knife, but still be sturdy enough to hold it's shape.

I've tried it with a large metallic silver "bouncy ball" from Wal-mart recently...I had planned to cut it in half and fill it with plaster to keep it's shape....well, that thing was more like a balloon than a ball, and it exploded on me with a bang that scared the crap out of my wife and daughter, and was left in a few small pieces, some of which I never did find. I think it would have worked though, had it been made of a thicker skin than it was.

So, if anyone has any idea of an alternative to the metal dome, I'd appreciate it. :confused

CHeck the r2 builders club. A popular cheap dome was a clear plastic, well, dome used to keep squirrels from a bird feeder. I have no links or info, alas.

The manf. has changed the design of their squirrel domes and they are now way too short to be used for R2. Others have used plastic domes from security cameras.

When I built my first r2 back in 1992, I was completely on my own.

I ended up using one of those punch balloons, fiberglassed a top over it, then sanded the thing out till it was smooth.

It worked pretty good considering what it was made from.

-Gary

Im working on a project now that required a 18" ( 1/4" thick)clear dome. Im not sure what size the R2 domes are but I could check and see if any size can be done. The dome I had made cost about $110 for the initial setup BUT only $30 ea after that.

Richie

When I built my first r2 back in 1992, I was completely on my own.

I ended up using one of those punch balloons, fiberglassed a top over it, then sanded the thing out till it was smooth.

It worked pretty good considering what it was made from.

-Gary

Or you can do what Gary did. But use paper mache instead. That is if you want to go the paper/cardboard route.

Richard

I might have a cheaper option for you, PM sent

also you could use foam blocks, carve the dome out of that, add some layers of fiberglass, then some topcoat, to get rid of the fiberglass structure, and remove the foam on the inside !

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back