Importing a resin replica gun to the UK. Paint it green then remove the paint - how?

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If I had a realistic resin firearm painted green (over the raw resin - i.e. no primer), how could I easily remove the paint without damaging the resin?

Last edited:
Re: Importing a resin replica gun to the UK. Paint it green then remove the paint?

Poster paint?

Use water?

Re: Importing a resin replica gun to the UK. Paint it green then remove the paint - h

I've used oven cleaner (the spray on type). It took several coats and some time but it ended up working like a charm. It was the cheap stuff from walmart.

Re: Importing a resin replica gun to the UK. Paint it green then remove the paint - h

Rubbing alchohol can dissolve some forms of acrylic paint, and I think a few other types as well. I've ony ever used it to remove acrylic.

For latex based stuff, I usually go with paint thinner, or easy-off.

Yeah water based sound the best option, water based artist colors? Maybe faskolor RC paint, ive removed it before with nothing more the warm soapy water and elbow grease...and some sore thumbs afterwards lol.
The faskolor is water based too by the way Kurt!

lee

Sounds good! :sick

Decent resin is usually pretty impervious to most solvents. I'd just attack it with plain old laquer thinner and a scrub brush. :)

-Sarge

Spray it with Tamiya acrylics (preferably a matte color), then wash it in Ajax window cleaner. (The Ajax is a superb thinner for it too, by the way..)

Pine sol is also great for removing paint and not destroying plastic

Last edited:

I've found that brake fluid works remarkably well. Never could get oven cleaner to work at all... and paint thinner... YIKES... damaged the resin.

The brake fluid may take a while, but if it only has to work through one thin layer of paint it could be done in an okay time. Would recommend checking every hour and use a coal filter mask and rubber gloves when working with this and be sure to be in a ventilated area - as with all of these suggested paint removers. When done, just wash it over with a cloth dipped with household alcohol and the item should be clean. Don't try to rub the paint off... just let the brake fluid work and you can just wipe it off with a cloth or a brush of some kind for the hard to access areas.

I've found that brake fluid works remarkably well. Never could get oven cleaner to work at all... and paint thinner... YIKES... damaged the resin.

What kind of resin was it? I've been stripping paint off (urethane) resin for 16 - 17 years, and never had a problem w/ laquer thinner. I did forget a smaller part in a big cup of acetone for about a week once, and when I remembered it, it was just beginning to get "gooshey" on the sharp edges... :confused

-Sarge

Have it painted with tamiya acrylics and then you can simply wash it off with windex (with amonia - don't get the amonia-free stuff).

-Fred

Ummm...can't you just paint over it, or am I missing something :confused

I believe Dupli-Color's self-etching primer is a funky green color...2 birds with one stone?

Ummm...can't you just paint over it, or am I missing something :confused
I think he wants it painted the green color so that Customs won't throw a fit about it being so realistic looking......

I think he wants it painted the green color so that Customs won't throw a fit about it being so realistic looking......

And i think Funky Jedi is wondering why you would need to remove the coloured paint assuming that the piece is to be painted anyway not left as raw resin,so why not just paint over the green ?

Re: Importing a resin replica gun to the UK. Paint it green then remove the paint?

Poster paint?

Use water?

I second that, why complicate things, Tempera poster paint simple water and soap clean up, and it's dirt cheap...

And it could even be used on finished pieces ;)

I used Tamiya acrylics (long ago) and then dumped the model in some (ammonia based?) window cleaner overnight. But within hours, it can be removed by just wiping it off.

And i think Funky Jedi is wondering why you would need to remove the coloured paint assuming that the piece is to be painted anyway not left as raw resin,so why not just paint over the green ?

my guess is that inevitably the black would chip off revealing the green, which would somehow bond to the resin for all eternity. because that's just how things go.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back