Dr. Theopolis size?

Bradleyfett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With the advent of the Buck dvd set, there are a lot of really clear shots of this prop- you can pretty much see all the details.

I'm thinking of building one of these, but I was wondering if anyone had an accurate measurement? Wasn't one of these sold by Profiles in History at one point?

Any info is appreciated!

Mark

With the advent of the Buck dvd set, there are a lot of really clear shots of this prop- you can pretty much see all the details.

I'm thinking of building one of these, but I was wondering if anyone had an accurate measurement? Wasn't one of these sold by Profiles in History at one point?

Any info is appreciated!

Mark

I've seen it posted that the prop is 9 inches wide.

The one on ebay looks like a mid-grade Theopolis- the graphics and colors are correct, but there are no LEDs inside.

My bet is that it was a lighted vanity mirror- I just need to find one that is 9" diameter.

Mark

I still don't think that they used any standard off-the-shelf object for Theopolis or any of the council members. It seems like they'd play hob trying to find properly sized objects that all worked the same way. It'd be easier just to make vac-form bucks (no pun intended) out of MDF and be able to pull as many as you needed. Sometimes sratch building exactly what you need is faster than searching for a pre-existing thing that will do the job.

Just my 2 pennies.

-G

P.S. I wasn't kidding about that helmet, bud! Get to work! ;)

You mean the BSG spacesuit fishbowl helmet? I'll get to it eventually... Short attention span and all that...

You may be right about the Theo shell- it was afterall a key prop for the movie and the series- no reason they wouldn't build it from scratch- especially such a simple shape. You up for making some Gordon? I'll do the graphics if you'll do the shells and somebody else can figure out the electronics. Dr. Theopolis Builders' Club anyone?

-M

The one on ebay looks like a mid-grade Theopolis- the graphics and colors are correct, but there are no LEDs inside.

My bet is that it was a lighted vanity mirror- I just need to find one that is 9" diameter.

Mark

It's missing the hangers on the side that Theo had. It looks like this might be one they used in the trial scene in the pilot. One of the council cake tins looked almost like Theo but was missing the hangers.

This is one of the generic background Computer Council members from the show. Theo was the 'hero' model, along with another one or two others that had different faces and light patterns. This one resembles Theo, but has lot of differences. I've seen a few of these over the years (including this one that was sold through Profiles a while back), and I have to say - they are some of the junkiest props I've ever seen. Literally held together with hot glue. And judging from the crudeness of the construction, it was NOT something that was made from a nice found item. Gordon is correct - it is quite often easier to make it yourself than to try and make something 'fit'.

Gene

Well, Gene has held the real thing in his hands... I'd trust his word over any guesstimations from elsewhere.

And Mark, YES. A thousand times, YES. There are many different things I'd be willing to contribute to a Theopolis kit project. Who's taking point?

-G

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back