The Rifleman Props

Mare's Legs are legal, but tend to be treated as handguns, not rifles. Bit of trivia: The rifle was chambered for .44-40, however the cartridges in Steve McQueens belt were .45-70 because they looked much more impressive...

Winchester is producing special 1892 versions of the rifle this year in honor of John Wayne's 100th birthday, along with special headstamped Winchester bullets. There are a few versions but they tend to retail for around $2000...

Winchester is producing special 1892 versions of the rifle this year in honor of John Wayne's 100th birthday, along with special headstamped Winchester bullets. There are a few versions but they tend to retail for around $2000...[/QUOTE]

The Winchester Model 92 that is used in The Rifelman is different than the John Wayne one, as well as the lever.

Mare's Legs are legal, but tend to be treated as handguns, not rifles. Bit of trivia: The rifle was chambered for .44-40, however the cartridges in Steve McQueens belt were .45-70 because they looked much more impressive...

Winchester is producing special 1892 versions of the rifle this year in honor of John Wayne's 100th birthday, along with special headstamped Winchester bullets. There are a few versions but they tend to retail for around $2000...

Hello jts1031,
From what I have read over a few sites the trivia you have is very accurate! But the part about the legality of a weapon like this I'm not sure about! Who ever wrote the text for the site I mentioned previously does believe that they are illegal in some places! I copied and pasted this part of his pitch...

You must register such a version with the B.A.T.F. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) for a one-time registration fee of $200.00 because the barrel length is under the Federal minimum of 16-inches. Currently, there are 8 States that do not allow possession of our fully functional version. They are WA, IL, CA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, & DE.

I would think he would need to be as accurate as possible! If he is wrong he could lose a lot of sales in the states he lists!
But look at the bright side, you don't live in Canada were the laws are a lot stiffer! Just buying a BB gun up here can be a chore and a half!
Best to all, Petseal

You must register such a version with the B.A.T.F. (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) for a one-time registration fee of $200.00 because the barrel length is under the Federal minimum of 16-inches. Currently, there are 8 States that do not allow possession of our fully functional version. They are WA, IL, CA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, & DE.

It becomes a Class III firearm a SBR (short barrel rifle) and requires a lot of paperwork, an extensive background check, finger prints, photos and a long wait to obtain the transfer paperwork and the $200 tax stamp... This is as the Federal level, then the State laws come into play... Some States allow you to have a Class III SBR even though they may forbid other Class III firearms... In most states you can simply have the barrel cut by a gunsmith and file the paperwork stated above, in others it's 100% illegal...

Another way around this is that if a NEW receiver is manufactured and registered as a pistol receiver rather then a rifle then the barrel length doesn't come into play and it simply becomes a pistol as long as it meets all the requirements of being a pistol... You see this being done with the AK47s and AR15s, both being offered as pistols now...

Go to web and look up Brownell.(I think it spelled that way)they carry gun parts and they sell the levers for the Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles on their website.Hope this helps.

I always wondered how he shot so fast, and when I bought one and tried it I would always pinch my finger. Then I saw the trick in a gun mag, and was a little disappointed.

Walmart had DVDs of Cowboy Classics or something, with old TV westerns mixed together. I have quite a few Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, Paladin, etc, for a few bucks each.
I also bought a box set of Wanted. Half way through. They even had a Christmas episode, where little johnny somehow gets a new rifle.

Hello jts1031,
From what I have read over a few sites the trivia you have is very accurate! But the part about the legality of a weapon like this I'm not sure about! Who ever wrote the text for the site I mentioned previously does believe that they are illegal in some places! I copied and pasted this part of his pitch...

I don't dispute that one bit. I'm sure he is covering his butt, and I would do the same. I have however seen several ads for mare's legs in firearm magazines that are marketed as handguns. I'm assuming it is a different company from the one you've indicated.

As for the Winchester John Wayne anniversary version, I'm sure it is a different version, and would in no way condone modifying it, especially at the $2000 price tag. Plus, to do so would just be sacrilege...

Winchester offered this version of it's lever action before they went out of business.
My brother picked one up a few months earlier.
The guy behind the counter asked him f he knew the show that the rifle was used in and before he finished he told him the Rifleman.
The guy thought my brother was too young to have watched the show but we saw reruns back in the 70's.

Scot

Winchester offered this version of it's lever action before they went out of business.
My brother picked one up a few months earlier.

Scot

No company sells or has sold the "exact" Rifelman oversized lever. They sold and sell one that was larger like John Wayne's , but never the way the actual prop was.

No company sells or has sold the "exact" Rifelman oversized lever. They sold and sell one that was larger like John Wayne's , but never the way the actual prop was.

It looked quite a bit like the weapon in The Rifleman.

At the time I didn't know there was a difference.

I've got some empty brass 5 in 1 shells from chucks actual rifle..in a STEMBRIDGE original box .. had them for many years .. also 10 shells from one of the Dukes Winchesters ..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back