How to dissolve foam?

starbuckcylon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a resin rotocaste part that I foam filled but now I'd like to removed the foam. It’S a hard foam from Smooth On. is there anything I can shoot on it to desolve and soften it up?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say how well it will work with Smooth on's urethane foam, but try some acetone on it... Or a propane torch...

Well, acetone will dissolve styrofoam very easily. Urethane foam is designed to be solvent resistant. I think you're stuck. You can drill it out and do some sanding, but I think that's about it.

Oh and one more thing. Come on! Why white letters that I have to highlight to read?

Look, the stuff is toxic in its original liquid form - I think using a chemical to dissolve the SOLID stuff is asking for a pile o' trouble.

I tried various chemicals to disolve some recently. None worked. I wound up using a cutting bit with a power drill to cut/hack the stuff out. Once I did that I used the bit, a Dremel, or sanded by hand, any surfaces that I needed the foam to be completely removed from. Really, the only problem I had was when I would run into areas where the foam had not been mixed evenly and was hard instead of porous.

Good luck with whatever solution you apply!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back