Rotocasting Machine

Well we eliminated the power window motor and am going with a drill for now until I can find the right type motor form the right price.
So far so good. Should have it all done next week and can't wait to test it!

Hello, i was reading the post (very interesting by the way), and i thought that the motor from a washing machine could be the perfect one.....

what do you think?

Alfredo

Mental image of rotocasting machine flipping around like one of those 3-axis astronaut vertigo-tolerance rigs on speed...

:D

I have a design for a very simple to build, hand cranked roto-molder that I'd be willing to share....give me a day or two to make a print showing the details and I'll post it.

My machine uses nothing more complicated than a pulley/belt system...no interlocking frames or gears to worry about.
It's also scaleable...I've made one that holds a 2" x 2" mold as well as my current one that can spin my 12 year old !

I'd really like to see it, can you post photos of your machine?

I have a design for a very simple to build, hand cranked roto-molder that I'd be willing to share....give me a day or two to make a print showing the details and I'll post it.

My machine uses nothing more complicated than a pulley/belt system...no interlocking frames or gears to worry about.
It's also scaleable...I've made one that holds a 2" x 2" mold as well as my current one that can spin my 12 year old !

Working on one right now, but I'm still in the 'finding parts' stage. I have a rough design that's being modified as I locate the parts (bearings, pulley wheels, miter gears, etc.). A major find was a second-hand treadmill which will donate it's motor and speed control to the project. I hope to post plans and materials list when done, but it seems that it may be some time in the making.

cool.. I'm wondering how I will pull off casting the huge piece the 2 way ones looks like it will hit the frame when turning.. I've looked in the the Dead arm style as well. O i just remember I have 2 spare washers and dryers headed to the dump should i snag the motors out of them???? They are doing me no good.

Last edited:
Okay, can someone explain to me what exactly "rotocasting" is?

:behave

Pretty self explainitory actually. You put a mold into a machine that rotates the mold 360 degrees on a vertical and horizontal axis using centrifugal force to evenly spread the resin while it sets.

Pretty self explainitory actually. You put a mold into a machine that rotates the mold 360 degrees on a vertical and horizontal axis using centrifugal force to evenly spread the resin while it sets.

That's not entirely accurate. The molds aren't spinning fast enough for centrifugal force to keep the resin around the sides. Rather gravity keeps the resin moving around the inside of the mold (or more acurately, the mold moving around the puddle of resin). As the resin thickens and cures it forms hollow shell casting.

Didn't think about using one of these until I read this thread, and now I think it's actually easily make-able. Thanks for all the contributions! Might make this my 'holiday project'. :)

modelnutz,

Were you ever able to get the detail print done? I like to see your design and maybe build one for myself.

Thanks in advance.

DSC_0245.jpg

Hello Ive just been building the one from instructibles here Make A Rotational Casting Machine For Under $150

Its nearly done.
Just waiting for my chain wheels.

I altered the pattern to be larger so the mould fitted.

Will post it when its finished & then the casts that come from it of the SS Raider Fuselages

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back