Coat over the top of Rub-N-Buff?

For those who may be experienced with Rub-N-Buff... can you paint over the top of it? I'm doubting I'll be able to since it has a wax like consistency. Also, can you hit it with a clear coat or something to protect the finish after buffing???

Rm- You can paint over the top of it. If you're going for an old worn, matte look to the metallic, hit it w/a couple of light coats of Dull Coat. If you want a gloss, spray some Future floor wax over the top. You can them paint over it anyway you like. :D

...and if you want a flat coat, but don't want to risk re-activating the R n B, spray a few dustings of Future - Before you use Dullcoat. The 'carrier' in dullcoat will 'raise the dead' (so be careful). There are also professional artist matt-finishes available, they cost more - but they are not as 'risky' as using Dullcoat.

Would Krylon Fixatif work as a sealant over the RnB? I also googled and found tha Amaco makes an all purpose sealer that works well over RnB. May have to check then on the next hobby shop run.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I was in astore today that sells remenant contractor building supplies for ridiculously cheap (picked up a ton of tiny scratch building goodies). At any rate, I snagged a can of Krylon spray I have never seen nor heard of before called Bare Metal Primer. It's a clear matte primer specifically designed on retaining whatever luster happens to be on the bare metal you spray it with.

I haven't had the chance to try it out on anything yet, but you may want to look into it.

with rub n buff you should use a Acrylic clear coat only

you can use flat, satin or gloss but it must be Acrylic
(and yes, future will work)

if you attempt to use anything else, it tends to get tacky, and stay that way for a long long time, and could ruin your finish
(learned that one the hard way)

any craft store will carry it (even walmart I think)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back