How to create your own hero TNG cricket phaser, "picture intensive"

stapleton13

Here is a tutorial on how to build up one of my hollow phaser kits with a playmates Cricket phaser electronics. The results are quite good.

The first thing you will need is a Type 1 phaser toy made by playmates. Even though the toy is out of production. They are still readily available on ebay. My experience is that you shouldn't have to pay more than 25.00 for one. Usually I can get them for 15.00 or less. Also you will need a Red LED. You should be able to find one at a radio shack. The best ones are the Clear lens type. They are a lot brighter than the Red colored lenses.

Step one
First remove the screws that hold the two halves of the toy together, and cut the battery wires loose from the battery compartment, and carefully remove the electronics from the toy. The speaker and the board are glued in place, But a small hobby knife will easily cut the glue loose. You will also need to carefully bend the tabs on the battery terminals to remove them from the toy.
step00tb6.jpg

Step two
The next step is to trim the board. There is a 1/8th inch on the board that has no traces on it, and it must be removed to fit in the model. It is also helpful to round off the corners of the board. Care must be taken not to damage the wires or components. You can achieve this with sand paper or a dremel tool.
step02ga6.jpg

Step three
With a small saw or hobby knife you need to cut slots on the battery compartment of the model. This will allow the installation of the battery terminals.
step03gd3.jpg

Step four
Next you will have to trim the terminals as shown in the example using a file or dremel.
step04sb7.jpg

Step five
The next step is optional for now. I just find it easier to glue the board in the phaser to aid in keeping the parts together, and trimming wires to length.
You will also need to determine the best way to orient the board in its hole. There is a resistor on one side, and a small capacitor on the other side that tend to make this a challenge. Usually having the resistor on the speaker side works best.
Also you can drill a small 1/8th inch hole Forward in the speaker hole if you would like the phaser to be louder. It is important to drill the hole forward to keep your finger from covering it when you fire it.
step05vo8.jpg

Step six
Next you will start trimming, and resoldering wires. We will start with the Red+ wire, and The black- wire. Trim them to fit where the terminals are, and solder them to the terminals. Also the speaker wires are too long and should be desoldered from the speaker, and trimmed and resoldered to the speaker. You can leave them long, But you will need to bundle them up inside the phaser. It is much better if you can shorten them. At this point you should be able to install some batteries, and test what you've done so far. The best batteries for this can be found at most stores(LR-44 Button Cells). Michel's, and hobby lobby has them cheap. Usually 6 for 99 cents. They are commonly used in things like laser pointers. It is best if you insert the batteries, and remove them after each step to check your progress. Just do not leave them in the model when you are cutting wires. This will prevent shorting out the circuit.
step06hq7.jpg

Step seven
The toy phaser has two sounds, and the cricket model isn't big enough for the selector switch. This means you must select the sound you want to use. The best sound of the phaser firing is produced by connecting the blue, and purple wire together. Then I solder the connection, and either tape the bare wire with electrical tape or use a small piece of shrink tubing.
step07qd9.jpg

Step eight
It may be necessary to route out a small indent in the center of the emitter if you are using a large LED. Small LED's do not require this mod. You can accomplish this with either a dremel or a drill.
step08ib4.jpg

Step nine
I then shorten the wires on the button so that the wires are not folded up inside the phaser.
step09bl6.jpg

Step ten
Next I glue in the power bar, and the button plate.
step10uz4.jpg

Step eleven
I then glue the two body halves together making sure the trigger button is not left inside. Then you can test fit the emitter. It may be necessary to trim it slightly below the LED hole to accommodate the speaker.
step11qh9.jpg

Step twelve
After the proper fit is accomplished. You are ready to glue on the emitter.
step12sn2.jpg

Step thirteen
At this point you can glue the button to the body making sure it is centered under the thumbpad.
You are also ready to Fill in the seams with puddy, or bondo.
step13en9.jpg

Step fourteen
The next step is to mask off the emitter, and power bar, and prime the phaser with a sand, and fill primer. After the primer dries You can sand it to a smooth finish, and start painting.
step14wi4.jpg

Step fifteen
Before or after you prime you can also finish the thumbpad. You need to glue a small piece of styrene on the underside of the thumbpad so that it will be just over the button when it is in place. Trim both the front and back of the tab so that it looks like a wedge. This will make it easier to install, and remove the thumbpad when you need to change batteries. Make sure the wedge fills the empty gap between the pad and the button. Its better to make it thick at first than too thin. You can fine tune it until it fires smooth with a piece of sandpaper or a small file.
step15jx8.jpg

Step sixteen
You now can paint it.
step16ak7.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How to create a your own hero TNG cricket phaser, "picture intensive"

Hello stapleton13,
Where could I get one of your hollow TNG Cricket Phaser? And how much would one cost? I already have the Playmates gigantic version which I would not be unwilling to scrap!
Many thanks, Petseal

Hello stapleton13,
Where could I get one of your hollow TNG Cricket Phaser? And how much would one cost? I already have the Playmates gigantic version which I would not be unwilling to scrap!
Many thanks, Petseal
PM me

Many thanks.

This is great! Do you have it on a website somewhere?

If not, I would gladly host it on my tutorial pages. It would be no trouble to take this and create a page for it. LMK :)

Great tutorial! I'm impressed you got all the electronics inside... :cool :thumbsup

Beautiful!

That's what this board is all about! Thank you for taking the time to post this, and I hope you sell about a thousand kits!

One of the best tutorials I have seen on this forum. Kudos! :thumbsup

Great tutorial!

Personally, I'd rather buy one from you than go to all that trouble.

:D

Great tutorial!

Personally, I'd rather buy one from you than go to all that trouble.

:D

Thats one way to go, But For those like me. I really enjoy building my own props when I have the time.:cool

This is great! Do you have it on a website somewhere?

If not, I would gladly host it on my tutorial pages. It would be no trouble to take this and create a page for it. LMK :)

I don't have a website. Thank you for the offer. That would be great if you could host this. Just let me know what you need.

I'm glad you guys like this tutorial. This is the first project I ever created one for. I am here for Ideas, and I am glad to have the chance to share mine.

All I need to do it is some time. :)

I will get to work on it today and let you know what information I am missing (or if you want to add any)

Here is a tutorial on how to build up one of my hollow phaser kits with a playmates Cricket phaser electronics. The results are quite good.

Hello stapleton13,
I tried to send a message and am unsure if it I did it right or if you are just so busy that you have been unable to reply so I will try this way!
This tutorial is for use on one of YOUR hollow phasers! I was wondering were I could get one or if it would work on any hollow type resin phasers. I have seen a few on eBay and I already have the Playmates Cricket Phaser!
I must digress here... Playmates made several prop weapons, communicators and tricorders! To the best of my knowledge, which granted is limited, all the props were scaled down for smaller hands, children! So why on God's Green Earth would they make ONE that would be too big even for someone like Andrea the Giant or Richard Kiel (Jaws in Bond movies)? :confused
Sorry about that but it's good to rant once in awhile! :rolleyes
Best to All, Petseal

OK, the tutorial is done and archived.

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/tutorials/pages/cricket/cricket_phaser.html

or you can also get to it from here:

http://www.restrainingbolt.com/tutorials/tutorials.php3

Nicely done Stapleton13. :)

Very generous of you adamata,
And very COOL links, which I have added to my Bookmarks! I look forward to going threw them and seeing what I can do! Star Trek is my main passion but weapons of any kind is a very close second and Blade's machine gun looks very interesting!
Best to All, Petseal

Hello stapleton13,
I tried to send a message and am unsure if it I did it right or if you are just so busy that you have been unable to reply so I will try this way!
This tutorial is for use on one of YOUR hollow phasers! I was wondering were I could get one or if it would work on any hollow type resin phasers. I have seen a few on eBay and I already have the Playmates Cricket Phaser!
I must digress here... Playmates made several prop weapons, communicators and tricorders! To the best of my knowledge, which granted is limited, all the props were scaled down for smaller hands, children! So why on God's Green Earth would they make ONE that would be too big even for someone like Andrea the Giant or Richard Kiel (Jaws in Bond movies)? :confused
Sorry about that but it's good to rant once in awhile! :rolleyes
Best to All, Petseal
I didn't recieve the message.

I also have these phasers on ebay. My user name is killmenow0. I am sure other phasers would work, but I made all the mods to my master so that this would fit.

I never understood why the playmates type one phaser was so big. Ranting is good from time to time.

I didn't recieve the message.

I also have these phasers on ebay. My user name is killmenow0. I am sure other phasers would work, but I made all the mods to my master so that this would fit.

I never understood why the playmates type one phaser was so big. Ranting is good from time to time.

Hi stapleton13,
I did say I was still fairly new to the BB and I obviously did hit the wrong button! (Thankfully here that's not a big deal BUT if you work in a missile silo hitting the wrong button would be a different story! :love )
One of my search criteria is "Star Trek Prop"! I did actually find three cricket phaser auctions, one being hollow, and I was wondering if they may have been yours! Now that I see your user name I know they are!
I can't do anything right now but I am planning to post a ton of various model kits on eBay within the next couple days, or so! Just kind of lost interest in that kind of model kit and I will probably never get to them anyway! Besides the extra cash is ALWAYS useful, ask any bank manager :rolleyes
So once that's out of the way and I can see what I have left over I will check back with your auctions! In fact I am going to put your seller name in my favorites just as soon as I am done here!
Many thanks and All the Best, Petseal

Hi stapleton13,
I did say I was still fairly new to the BB and I obviously did hit the wrong button! (Thankfully here that's not a big deal BUT if you work in a missile silo hitting the wrong button would be a different story! :love )
One of my search criteria is "Star Trek Prop"! I did actually find three cricket phaser auctions, one being hollow, and I was wondering if they may have been yours! Now that I see your user name I know they are!
I can't do anything right now but I am planning to post a ton of various model kits on eBay within the next couple days, or so! Just kind of lost interest in that kind of model kit and I will probably never get to them anyway! Besides the extra cash is ALWAYS useful, ask any bank manager :rolleyes
So once that's out of the way and I can see what I have left over I will check back with your auctions! In fact I am going to put your seller name in my favorites just as soon as I am done here!
Many thanks and All the Best, Petseal

Thats ok. You never said anything wrong. I am also very new to this board. You can also email me at stapleton666@ai5.net if you have any other questions.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back