Zaphod

Sr Member
Hey all,
I've got a pair of these:
82_1.JPG

On their way.

That I ordered from dk165 on eBay.

Can't wait.

I am actually going to hook up a real intercom into these. It'll make living in a 3 story house easier, then yelling up and down the stairs.

And yes...I am a geek.

Okay, they got here yesterday, with a bonus item a data card (red), in slot. :)

Sadly, the picture wasn't clear enough + I didn't ask, but, the screen is also cast - it isn't cloth. :(
So, I cannot use this as a cover for an intercom system in my house :(

Still looks great, but, now I don't need two coms...

Was thinking of dremeling out the cast cloth area and seeing if I could get the real cloth.

Will try and get pics later.

Drats.. I guess dremeling the screen out, and putting some accurate cloth material back in is about all you can do. :(

And how about the function light?

If you want that to work, you've got to dremel that out, too, right?

He's got a set up on eBay now, but with all the work you'd have to put in to make them functional, you might as well start from scratch. If you just want them as static props, it's not too bad, though.

Be sure to post pics when/if you do install these. It's something I will absolutly be doing when I buy a house.

Steve

Instead of dremeling the screen out could you just drill a dozen holes and cover it with screen material? Would think that the holes would permit your intercom to function.

Originally posted by SSRN Seaview@Feb 14 2006, 11:46 PM
Instead of dremeling the screen out could you just drill a dozen holes and cover it with screen material? Would think that the holes would permit your intercom to function.
[snapback]1184464[/snapback]​
...which would leave you with a backing to hold the material, but on the other hand, you've got the edge of the material that would be showing as opposed to being able to lay it behind the opening like the original.

You might save yourself a little time doing it like that, but you may lose something in the looks department.

If you gotta do someting, you might as well just do the work and make it right.

Steve

I have one of the ones made by that Ebay seller. Solid casting but does look nice, not sure on the dimensions but with the variety of the shapes and sizes on the show...

Here's some caps:

conscienceoftheking029.jpg

PDVD_001.jpg

1140023816_PDVD_004.jpg

Here's one that sold on Profiles in History but I think it's doubtful as I've not seen one look so crappy, look at the square edges of the speaker. :eek:

deskcom.jpg

Originally posted by Jedi Lawja@Feb 16 2006, 11:18 AM
That data card (in slot) - is it really in a slot?  Or, is it just a base made to look like a slot?

Jay
[snapback]1186037[/snapback]​
Made to look like a slot.

DLK 165 is a member here and ASAP :)

he has made the real pieces {wall comms / card slots / buttons and faux ones for surface mounting only.

john :cool

he makes a lot of PHASERS also. :angel

Originally posted by Reaper57@Feb 16 2006, 10:37 PM
DLK 165 is a member here and ASAP :)

he has made the real pieces {wall comms / card slots / buttons and faux ones for surface mounting only.

john :cool

he makes a lot of PHASERS also. :angel
[snapback]1186602[/snapback]​
I didn't know that. I had even told him to post here...and didn't get a response to that.

From his emails, he does seem like a good guy though.

Originally posted by ufptrekker1701@Feb 17 2006, 01:40 PM
I have purchased some pieces from him also, no complaints here... :D

Roger
[snapback]1186825[/snapback]​

his forum name is TOSPHASER. :)

they have been building a tos captains chair at ASAP , thats what started the buttons , card slots and such.

John :cool

Rodd.com has a kit for around $90.

It's "ready for electronics" but doesn't come with any. Supposedly an electronics upgrade is coming.

These are based on the units made for DS9's "Trials anad Tribblations".

1787.jpg

1787a.jpg

Also looks like non-functioning buttons with this version, but I'm guessing the you'd get working buttons with the upgrade.

Steve

I guess with function, it requires some sort of hole to be cut in your wall, lines run for power and intercom [unless wireless].

hmmm, Interesting.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back