Need help Making Mystery-Men Costume

seven

Sr Member
I recently re-watched Mystery-Men and I am inspired to make a costume from the movie. I am interested in becoming the Shoveler (and my wife the Bowler) in time for Halloween. I just need help identifying the found parts of his costume and which I will have to custom make.

my list so far:

1. Yellow hard hat w/full brim
2. Headlamp/Light, Blue
3. White Undershirt
4. Long sleeve Denim shirt w/white buttons
5. Leather Welders Cape & Sleeves w/sleeve pockets
6. Child's Baseball Catcher's Padded chest w/shin guards (custom)
7. Leather Shovel holster (Custom)
8. Open back, w/ 'D' style handle Shovel
9. Watson Leather Motorcycle gloves (?)
10. regular brown leather belt
11. Mining belt
12. Levi Jeans
13. Knee pads (?)
14. Work boot/shoes (?)

here are some pics from the Prop Store of London for ref http://www.propstore.com/product-The-Shoveler--William-H--Macy--Costume.htm

MysteryMen-ShovelerCostume1.jpg

MysteryMen-ShovelerCostume3.jpg

MysteryMen-ShovelerCostume6.jpg

Last edited:
The shovel sheath is custom, the sleaves are indead welding sleaves. The gloves look too nice/ornamental/fancy/whatever to be welding gloves. You're better off checking out a motercycle apparel store. The padded vest is something from off the shelf, but heavily modified with the leather straps. I have no idea on what it originally was. The hard hat, denim shirt, and jeans can be found anywhere. You're gonna have to hunt for the lamp, though. Looks kind of toyish.

As for the shovel.....there's a dude in the junkyard selling the screen used chromed hero shovel for a very fair price.

The padded pieces look like an older chest protector that catchers wear in baseball. It's really been modified but the padding looks like the type I wore so many years ago (I'm getting all sentimental now :lol).

Randy

Last edited:
I just love this film. I vaguely remember that the light belongs to the son who keeps wanting it back, but that may be my bad memory. If you contact the prop people the pictures are from they may be able to tell you who made it. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I think you can just buy the blue jeans. No need to make those.

The chest piece actually looks like a catchers breastplate and shin guards. He's wearing the bp on his back and the shin guards are strapped together down the middle and worn as a chestpiece.

...The chest piece actually looks like a catchers breastplate and shin guards. He's wearing the bp on his back and the shin guards are strapped together down the middle and worn as a chestpiece.

Ooh, good, eye. I was thinking that the catchers chest had the padding on back too. I noticed he was wearing it backwards, but it didn't occur to me that the shin guards were used on the front. Thanks:thumbsup

OK, I took the liberty in making a vest pattern. I rationalized that IF there is an existing Childs Baseball Protective Catchers chest and shin guards that are identical to the one used, I would not find it in time for Halloween.

So, I drafted out a pattern to print out full size so I can custom make it

Last edited:
Look for welders cape sleeves for the upper jacket, and a Ceremonial shovel with Chrome-Plated Steel Blade but those are about $100.00 so the resonable screen used might be the way to go.

Check www.mcmaster.com for both of those not sure if they are totally accurate but its a start.

-Eric

OK, just a quick update:

I ordered a few items and had to weather them a bit. They was just too new. I sanded off the black finished on all the snaps of the sleeves. Used an oil to darken the leather. On the helmet I just used shoe polish to weather it.

The shirt is not dead on, as it is not Levi's nor has white buttons. The pants are Levi's and though are darker than the pics in post #1, they seem to be the right shade throughout the actual movie.

I got my pattern printed out for the vest and back. Best part was that I had the material already in my fabric box. So I will be progressing on this hopefully this weekend.

I am still looking for the rest of the items.

Last edited:
I got a little further with the Baseball Catchers protective vest and shin guards.

The grommets have been a huge pain to do. I got the set that comes with a little anvil hammer kit, wow, really tuff. I think I may look into getting the grip version.

In in ever ending search for the headlamp I concluded I may have to settle with two. To find the light that is close enough, and find the battery compartment and put the two together. Here is an REI light I found

I have not been able to locate the face cover yet.

I am still having a dickens of a time finding the gloves. Motorcycle gloves do have some really close examples, but I cannot pay $40+ for them.

Last edited:
Sweet, I actually have the movie in and the vest is actually on backwards in your first post. I'm sure everyone else picked up on that i just wanted to have a bigger post. :lol

You know, I just might do that. Well, to an extent anway. I am thinking that I may get some regular welding gloves cheep as I can go, and modify them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back