Inara Props Firefly/Serenity

pennausamike

Sr Member
Reading2007073.jpg

Inara's pistol from the Firefly episode, "Trash".
A chrome plated airsoft Ruger with machined ?silencer/muzzlebrake? and ?auto-fire target acquisition? greablie.

Reading2007071.jpg

The red box is like the yak skin set dressing box used in the BDM, Serenity.
I machined the special trays for the syringe set.The Ariel money and Blue Sun money will fit nicely.

Mike

The Firefly and Serenity props are starting to grow on me. Love what you've done. Great stuff!

Thanks for the positive comments, all.
I put the pics up at 2:30 AM and was so tired I could hardly type.

The money is of my own design done in primitive old Microsoft Paint.
I used elements already out there; from the Firefly series, the Serenity BDM and from pics of real money.
The Ariel bills are even serial numbered.

I then carried it in my pocket with a bunch of real bills to make it look real.

The Inara papers are a work in progress.
The main folded sheet is a contract summation that the Companion and customer would sign to consumate the deal.
I created a "Contracting Parties Duties And Obligations" section,
some of it meant to sound realistic, some rather tongue-in-cheek and some an outright poke at the humor of the show.

For example, "All ceremonies to guild spec" and "All insight offered without claim upon any personal or material gain" are meant to feel real.

I used "Emotional and marital entanglements unraveled at client expense"
to make fun of a real element of engaging a gorgeous Companion for sex.
(This was alluded to in the original "Trash" script as seen in the Official Companion Vol.II.)

And of course, "Use of whore is ill-advised" is a straight up poke at Mal constantly using it with Inara!

The purple and green Waiver of Reproductive Rights sheet is based on someone's RPG nudist certificate.
The Certificate of Examination is based on the episode "Ariel" and certifies that Inara has been examined by a team of doctors at St. Lucy's and found fit to serve as Companion another year.

Finally, the box is an updated version of the (suicide/rape bomb/eternal youth serum)syringe box seen in the true TV pilot.
Its a copy of one sold by The Propstore as set dressing from "Serenity".
The two trays "nest" in the box, with the money tray on top of the syringe, vial and whatever the cool-looking-other-gizmo-is tray.
(I haven't made the vial, yet.)

For such a short run series, Firefly offered so much texture!
It is so much fun to make props that logically build on what was shown or implied, and I think is part of what makes the show interesting beyond the brief amount of screen time actually presented.

Mike

here's my first foray into inara props:

normal__MG_3246.jpg

built out of all sorts of nonsense from home depot, with an electronically inclined friend wiring up the LEDs. 12 leds on the side (9 lit), and 2 blue LEDs to illuminate the bolts.

my wife and i worked together on the clothes to go with it, and she got super lucky and scored the same brand/style shoes that morena wore in the film.

i've got a bit more to do on the gun, but dragoncon was here, and time was up, so it went out as-is!

That bow is incredible!!! I've always loved that they changed the regular bow to the cg version, do you have any more pics!!!

That's a freaking shiny bow! :eek

And, yes, may we see more pics? It's amazing. :eek:thumbsup

EDIT: Also, feel free to post it over in the Inara bow thread, if you like.

Last edited:
Very nice considering the lack of good reference for the CGI prop! :thumbsup

that was the hardest part! they didn't do the CG when she was in the background, so it jumps from laser bow thing to regular bow and arrow, PLUS it looks like they re-used the little bit of footage that did have the cg work. i basically got 3-4 good stills from the HD-DVD and that was about it.

i've got a few photos of the buildup here:
http://stormtrooperguy.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=262

not much though. i wasn't really convinced that it would work out, and i didn't want a reminder of my failure.

there are things i wish i had done differently, but overall it's the best real world version of that prop i've seen. mostly by virtue of being the only one ;)

Has Inara's leather folder been positively ID'd?
inarainside.jpg

And the thing on the front? Looks like something from a laptop.
inarafront.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back