Imperial Knight Ganner Krieg, A Legacy of my own

Thomas, thats awesome. Very cool to see how your pics are now in comic form. Will you be wearing that at WWC or perhaps show it off at Acme some time?

Last edited:
So the character in the comic is based on the person in the costume that was based on the character in the comic that was based on the person's likeness.

That about sum it up?

Awesome news!

Great suit! Love the Legacy comics and it's so great that Jan is using not only your likeness but also your armor's likeness now too.

What could have been

Good afternoon,

I regularly receive mail requests as to the availability of my costume creations for sale.

I have wanted to offer my costume work, but lack of studio space, start-up funds, and not wanting to jeopardize my standing with LFL with license violation has proven to be quite an obstacle.

I almost had a licensed deal with one of my costumes, the Imperial Knight armour from SW Legacy.
SpanosKrieg.jpg

The company--let's call them Mr.--holds a license to do high end SW costuming. After much research and initial soft-goods development, Mr. contacted me with a fabulous offer, expressing interest in producing my Imperial Knight armour as their first EU product. However, before this project could occur, they would have to get approval from LFL.

After the initial presentation, LFL was quick to point out that Mr.'s contract--while covering all characters from SW movies, video games, television series, animated movies--did not extend to comics. For this reason LFL canceled the project.

This literally changes nothing. I make my costumes because I have to. It is what I love to do. I will continue to do so. And as before this particular amour will remain unique.
GannerKriegNYCC09KT.jpg

Be well,
Thomas

Re: What could have been

On one hand, I'm sad that I can't have a set of your armor. On the other hand, I'm glad to see you keeping it your own and not for sale. I have a lot of things I've made over the years(mostly toy-related) that people have offered to buy or asked for copies to be made. I've refused offers for some of the more unique stuff and as a result they are even more treasured by me.

That's a definite shame, IMO. I do love that armor, though I'm somewhat dubious how well certain companies might replicate them.

It's also kind of odd, IMO, that certain companies would put any significant effort into a project without knowing for certain that they had the rights to said project.

It's also kind of odd, IMO, that certain companies would put any significant effort into a project without knowing for certain that they had the rights to said project.

Mostly OT, but that happens all the time. I got paid to pitch gameplay outlines for THE PRISONER as a reality show and a possible revamp of MAX HEADROOM while the SciFi Channel explored who owned what. The several grand they expend early means nothing to them and saves time if they eventually secure rights.

I do love Thomas' armor, though. :)

Mwg032

In preparation for my garrison trading card, I upgraded my suit and took a series of photographs.

Upgrades include a new fitted collar, and the knee pads as described visually in SW: Legacy 10. (Knee pads are in progress.)
I_Ganner_Krieg__0710a_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

I_Ganner_Krieg__0710b_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

I_Ganner_Krieg__0710c_by_TheCloneEmperor.jpg

I also attempted to tweak the straps on my bracers to better match the comic reference. I made rigid red straps, but I was struggling to arrive at a functional solution. Due to the trading card deadline, I left the braces as they have been.

Be well,
Thomas

Re: Mwg032

I also attempted to tweak the straps on my bracers to better match the comic reference. I made rigid red straps, but I was struggling to arrive at a functional solution. Due to the trading card deadline, I left the braces as they have been.

Be well,
Thomas

One thing that might work well for the bracer straps would be some sort of foam. It seems that a lot of people, esp. in the PI, have had a lot of success with using foam for their costumes. Foam would be perfect since it's flexes and would be very easy to form into a strap and would have the extra benefit of being light and it won't scratch the rest of your armor. Exercise or camping mats are popular because they're easy to obtain and are fairly inexpensive but I think that open cell foam is what you want to get since I guess it's easier to work with.

Strapping

Thank you for the suggestion.

Currently, the bracers are held in place by elastic straps. It was a fine first run solution, but I want something a little more permanent. Ideally, some sort of inconspicuous and durable fastening system with room for adjustment.

I had replicated just the right look red marine vinyl padded with a strip of craft foam. However, I need a solution to open the bands and then tighten the same once the bracer is over my arm.

I tried velcro, but it took away from the appearance. Any hardware solution would need to take place under the bracer so as not interrupt the bands around the arms.

I don't often ask for help, never thought to do so. But then, if someone has an idea that works, I'd be lucky for it.

Be well,
Thomas

Thomas,

I'm not sure how it would work, but what about the flexible materials being used for the straps on Clonetroopers? Not quite foam per-say but more a vinyl I believe, with a strip of webbing cast into it to offer some rigidity.

Strapping suggestions

Thank you again for the thoughts. I have material to cast red straps. But I run into the same issue, I need these straps to be functional; that is they need to be detachable and adjustable. And I would like for the hardware to remain concealed.

I tried velcro and thought the result looked shlocky. Perhaps I can salvage suitable hard ware on a shin guard.

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

Re: Strapping

Thank you for the suggestion.

Currently, the bracers are held in place by elastic straps. It was a fine first run solution, but I want something a little more permanent. Ideally, some sort of inconspicuous and durable fastening system with room for adjustment.

I had replicated just the right look red marine vinyl padded with a strip of craft foam. However, I need a solution to open the bands and then tighten the same once the bracer is over my arm.

I tried velcro, but it took away from the appearance. Any hardware solution would need to take place under the bracer so as not interrupt the bands around the arms.

I don't often ask for help, never thought to do so. But then, if someone has an idea that works, I'd be lucky for it.

Be well,
Thomas

How about a hybrid system of sorts? Nylon straps sandwhiched between foam or some other material which would have small fastex buckles that could be hidden underneath the foam. You can buy small (5/8") fastex buckles that have a slight curve to them that will conform somewhat to your arms and are only a few bucks or so for like a bag of 10. The benefit would be that they would allow you to put them on or remove them quickly and easily and the buckles are designed so that the strap going through one end can be adjustable. You can buy them here 10 - 5/8" Contoured National Molding Plastic Buckles

Alternately, you could just make the straps purely decorative and have the bracers attached directly to your gauntlets by either velcro or snaps or even straps stitched to the gloves although I think a removable option like velcro or snaps would be best. The benefit of this method is that you (theoretically) shouldn't have to adjust the bracers or worry about them sliding around on your arm and combined with elastic straps or even adjustable straps they should be comfortable to wear and almost completely immovable.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back