Thror's Map - film version from LOTR

jheilman

Sr Member
Still have to play around with the color, but here is the first printed test from my Hobbit map.

For those who don't know, the original map was drawn by J.R.R. Tolkien and appeared in the book The Hobbit. This map became Bilbo's and he added it to his personal map collection. In the film Fellowship of the Ring, Gandalf notices this map on a table and pauses to study it and remember the adventure at the Lonely Mountain at the conclusion of The Hobbit.

As a Tolkien fanatic, I was thrilled to see this map make an appearance in the film. I had to have a replica. The only one I've seen was made by Indy Magnoli. He drew his with quill and ink. I'm not nearly that brave, so I used Photoshop.

Thror'sMapPrinted.jpg

It's interesting to note that the film map differs from Tolkien's original in many details. Particularly the mountain and Smaug are more stylized (or less) than Tolkien's. Also a cool tidbit I found during my research is that two different prop maps were used in the film. Originally, they made a map that replicated Tolkien's more precisely. Whenever you see Ian McKellen actually in the frame with the map, he's holding the first version.

OriginalFilmMap.jpg

This shot is cropped and rotated 180 degrees from the film. Notice the mountain and Smaug match Tolkien's. Later I'm guessing Peter Jackson decided to make the mountain more realistic and the dragon more majestic. So, all the closeup shots use the version two map. I love finding stuff like that.

Nicely done. I have Hard Cover 3rd printing set of LoTR and each one has a huge foldout map, Middle Earth, The Shire, and Gondor/Mordor I believe... I haven't looked at them in a while.

take care,

Phil

One element I'm considering deleting are the words "Thror's Map" at the lower left. I'm wondering if that was a label for the book illustration and not really intended to be a part of the actual map. In the screencap of the version 1 map above, I can't see that text on the prop. Opinions??

I agree that "Thror's Map" is referring to the illustration.. it seems pretty stupid to have something like that actually written ON the map.

It would be like going through my glovebox and writing "Mike's Map" on everything.

Beautiful map. Nicely done :thumbsup.

Anyway, the Thror's Map text needs to go. It was for the reader's benefit. In the real world, Thror would know it was his map and wouldn't need to put his name on it (unless he lived with some jerk roommates who would always take his stuff without asking).

I really need to get myself one of those one of these days. I think it would go well with my ME map from Adam.

-Fred

Great job!

Yeah i took the hand drawn route with mine, did it on a paper bag, doesnt look half bad for basically a free prop i think.

thror1.jpg

Great job guys! Is the folding in your map, jheilman, part of the Photoshop as well?

Kylash -- nice calligraphy :D

Juno,

No, the weathering is Photoshop, the folds are genuine. I overdid the folds on this first one. Hit them too hard with the sandpaper I think. Also the damage in the upper left needs refining. But, it's only the first test.

Beautiful map. Nicely done :thumbsup.

Anyway, the Thror's Map text needs to go. It was for the reader's benefit. In the real world, Thror would know it was his map and wouldn't need to put his name on it (unless he lived with some jerk roommates who would always take his stuff without asking).

I really need to get myself one of those one of these days. I think it would go well with my ME map from Adam.

-Fred

You need a jerk roomate to enhance your ME map?:lol

Kylash -

Nicely done hand-drawn map. I haven't attempted real calligraphy since I did our wedding invites many years ago.

Thror's label is off and I've worked on intensifying color a bit. You never know how what the screen shows will translate until you finally see it. Should be close now.

Cool, I was meaning to look this guy up since I first noticed him in "The Making of the Movie Trilogy" book.

Thanx for the link.

One nice thing about the pic of this map on his site, because the color/contrast is so exaggerated, it's easy to see the weathering locations. May have to make some mods from this reference.

Last edited:
I emailed Daniel Reeve about the multiple versions of this prop and received a prompt reply. I asked why and when the different versions were made.

I first made a large version of this map, exactly as per Tolkien's original. The Props Master said to me "Perfect! Now, make it again for me, twice! One this big, and another one this big", indicating two smaller sizes. So I made two more, one for the big Bag End set and one for the small one, both maps smaller than my first one. Then Peter decided he'd like to do a close-up, and he wanted a livelier dragon and more realistic-looking mountain, so I made version number four, the one you see in the close-up.

Great job on the map.

I made one of these a few years ago using brown and red Ink with brush.
I also used watercolors, coffee and sandpaper for the weathering.

I went a step further and also added the moon runes with glow in the dark ink.

Ill post pics later.

DS

Great job on the map.

I made one of these a few years ago using brown and red Ink with brush.
I also used watercolors, coffee and sandpaper for the weathering.

I went a step further and also added the moon runes with glow in the dark ink.

Ill post pics later.

DS

Please do.

:thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back