Best materials to use for sculpting?

kapow

When I get time, I wanted to try my hand at sculpting the Pod Harvester from The Matrix. What materials would be best? Clay? Would Wax work better for more machanical shapes? Anyone have any useful links? Thanks!

i've been using chavant sulphur free plastiline,its non drying,smooths well and holds exellent detail, it will take a silicone mold no prob.i have no need to look for any other product as it does everything i would want

hope this helps

chris

http://www.sculpturetools.com/chavant/

Thanks Chris!

Here's an pic of the basic shape. I'm mostly worried about the teeny shapes and detail. Tiny hoses and such. When I see these small parts on toys I wonder how they can sculpt these things so small.

doc.jpg

chris

thats quite a complex subject, it would be up to your own skills as a sculpter to reproduce every little hose etc..i know the clay is up to the job and from a molding/casting point of view i would think it would need breaking down into sub assemblies especially the large hoses,

i forgot to mention i brush on i.p.a. to get the surface even smoother(gets rid of fingerprints etc), also medium seems to be the best shore/hardness to work with in my opinion, it seems too hard at first but soon sofens up once you start working it

good luck on your work

chris

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back