Gel coat

yakcam

Sr Member
My apologies for asking a silly question, but does gel coat need to be sealed with paint? I was showing one of my buddies my MOST treasured helmet and it's part painted and part raw black gel coat (it really suits the helmet) . He asked me if it will deteriorate without being sealed with a coat of paint. I looked really silly when I couldn't answer him. :$

Any help would be great :)

Thanks,

Kraig

I would be interested in knowing this as well. Don't worry, answers will come... just give it some time.

I'm no expert on gel-coat, but from what I have read it does not require a layer of paint on top of it. Gel-coat is, afaik, a surface treatment you use on fiberglass boats. Anyone who knows more can explain the details and whether I'm correct or completely off...

Originally posted by yakcam@Feb 3 2006, 08:57 AM
Anyone?

I know it's a boring post but I'd like to know if I', hurting my prop.

Thanks,

Kraig
[snapback]1174939[/snapback]​

You're fine with it. Many GRP things are cast with just the gelcoat surface and it doesn't need paint. If you use a coloured gelcoat it gives you a much longer lansting finish than a painted surface (chips, scratches etc)

D

No problem. Gel coat IS a (kind of) sealer.
You can always buff up the surface, and it will be smooth as a baby butt.

Side note: Gel coat can also be sprayed on to a surface, so it can be used like paint.
On boats they apply it with a brush, and then sand it down (to fix damage'd parts)

Hope this helps?.

PHEW...

Thanks for your replies, I very much appreciate it :)

Well, I can keep it as it is then, I love it to death, hate to change it, but would rather do that than lose it.

Cheers and thanks again,

Kraig

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back