Is it possible to buy a decent Indiana Jones whip in the $100.00 range?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not looking for the mac daddy David Morgan whip as I just want a whip for a display. I won't be using it to heard cattle or to smack my girlfriend with. :lol Simply for a passable whip that would look good on display. Am I asking too much to ask for one in the 100.00 range? It doesen't have to be spot on, just kind of look the part. Any suggestions?

That's actually not a bad whip, but the handle has to match the rest of the whip.

I have never seen a whip with a wrapped handle at that price range. Not that I've looked that hard, mind you.

I highly recommend earpick's whips. Great craftsmanship and the price can't be beat for the quality.

(Not within the pricerange stated in this thread, though.)

Under 100? Probably not.
To me it needs to have 3 features
-leather-ish
-light brownish color
-high plait- the 'fat' plait just doesnt look or feel right

I never see any with all of the above, high plait is the hardest to get cheap it seems

There is a david morgan whip on ebay now that needs some work. I think its got a buy it now of 250 or something....check it out

There is a david morgan whip on ebay now that needs some work. I think its got a buy it now of 250 or something....check it out
i saw that too.
Price is a good range but it being 'used' , missing the cracker and missing some part of the handle is kinda a bad place to start if you arent skilled with whips...

There's a guy on eBay that usually sells decent Indy whips for pretty cheap. Try a search for "indy whip" and I'm sure some of his will come up. Compared to a "real" whipmaker's whips they're crap, but I have one of his for my Indy costume that looks the part just fine if you're looking for something to hang off a belt or coil up for a display.

It's my opinion that the Winrichwhips, Indy on a budget whip is the best you'll find for the price. It may not be 100%, but for $100 it will be the best you'll get. The turkshead knot in the pic on his site is alot darker but I believe he'll work with you on that and make it the same color as the rest of the whip. I'd start with him. He is an experienced whipmaker, knows ALOT of other whipmakers and I think if he can't make a whip that will suit you he can point you in the right direction.

David,

here is the link:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/

They primarily use 10' whips in the indy films. They have used other lengths but most of the time its the 10'. Not cheap but I think its worth it since you're getting the exact same whip that is used on film.

George

David Morgan has actually made changes to the whips he makes, so they are not a truly accurate reproduction of the whips seen on screen. I believe the change is in the handle length and placement of the Turk's head knot. For quality and realism, I recommend Joe Strain. I had one of his myself and cannot say enough good things about it.

For those of you who still frequent COW regularly, whatever happened to ecwhips? I thought I read that he became whipworks.net, but that URL goes nowhere. Is he still around?

I got a 10', 10 plait whip for about $125 from him a few years ago. Looks exactly like the indy whip and cracks beautifully. I hope he's still in business.

-Fred

GeorgeL,
If you can find me an 8' or 10' Dave Morgan whip IN THE $100 RANGE you'll be my new best friend.

He did say IN THE $100 RANGE, right? Last I checked the 10' Morgan was over $700.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back