Studio scale for the home, versus studio scale for the studio...?

PHArchivist

Master Member
G'dam would it be cool to own the 8' Star Destroyer, or even an accurate replica!

But where the hell would I put the damn thing...?

Or a 6' Galactica?

Or even a 3' diameter Death Star...

So where do YOU draw the line?

I'd love to have an 11' Enterprise, but let's be practical -- something that big will turn my house from looking like a nice display into a studio workshop.

I'd be happy to BUILD an 11 foot Enterprise if someone is willing to pay me to do it.

The house my workshop is at has a huge pool house. Plenty of ceiling space for large models.

4' Jupiter Two
3' Martian War Machine.
Han Solo in Carbonite on the wall.

All in process.

I'm doing a full Galactica... I'm in the process of collecting the donor kits and planning the main forms. It sounds crazy, but really, it boils down to display room and money/time/determination. I am lucky enough to have a big prop room, but more importantly, a wife that thinks a six foot spaceship is "neat".

They rolled far back and she drooled a little. Probably due to the mickey I slipped in her drink. Hah!

But seriously, she understands the hobby and the passion for creating we all have.

a wife that thinks a six foot spaceship is "neat".

Have you got a spare one of those?

All jokes aside I try to limit my ship sizes to about 3' anything over I try to get in a scaled size. I think the ani star destroyer is the perfect display size For that ship but if I had the chance or ability to have an accurate 8' star destroyer I think I would have to make the room because it would just look so neat. Maybe a fully enclosed glass display dinning table or big coffee table?

Ben

Yeah, having an understanding gf/fiance/wife is really half of it. If she's not into it at all, good luck putting anything prop-wise up in the house, lol.

Like Jason, I'm fortunate enough to have a woman in my life who also finds this all kind "neat" and interesting. She understands and appreciates what I do for a hobby. Stems from our common interest in Star Trek, I think.

Personally, any of my planned studio-scale projects (current and future) will be no more than four feet long, either vertically or horizontally (ie. Federation Spacedock, Blade Runner Spinner).

The smallest in my studio-scale collection will likely be the TOS Galileo Shuttlecraft I'm in the middle of completing, which measures 22" long.

The only catch for me is I have to be able to keep it all confined to my prop room upstairs, and not have it spill out into the rest of the household. Not an easy task when you've only got an 8x16 room to work with, lol.

Good thing I only got started into the studio-scale models with the Galileo. Hopefully we'll have moved into a somewhat larger house before it all takes up too much room.

I agree whole heartily about an understanding spouse. I am planning and working toward the SS Sandcrawler , it's big but manageable . I think if something is too large that you can't transport it , move it when needed or it becomes more important than family then it's not realistic for me to build it.

-James

I currently have a 6ft Galactica, 4ft Jupiter 2, 3ft Spindrift, 3 ft Thunderbird2, 2 ft Thunderbird 3, 2 ft Fireflash, 3 ft Stingray, 2ftFlying Sub, as well as screen worn complete Jaffa, Cylon, Colonial Warrior, almost finished replica Vader and an R2D2. Also just finished retoring my Delorean.

My fiance is great, the only one she doesn,t like is the Jupiter2, she thinks its boring.

Well, I just drew the line after getting a ss tie and dv tie. Unfortunately, the dv tie is not lasse's so I'm a bit disapointed in the castings but now I have all 4 ss fighters from sw.

Not being an unashamed geek like most folks here, rather an ashamed one, having tried and failed to keep the geekery to a mere side-interest among other 'loftier' cultural interests, my ideal display would consist of a single SS X-wing taking its place between a framed Velazquez print and, say, a cast of a Greek head from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, instead of which it currently sits on a table full of half-built SF kits, and will ultimately be joined by a second SS X-wing and hopefully the Neisen SS Y, thus fatally shifting the balance of my gentlemen's smoking room from tasteful eclecticism to all-out geek-nest.

Not that the GF minds. When I asked her if I could still get the Y even though our funds are in the usual pitiable state, she replied, 'Get it!' And this was not uttered from between clenched teeth, but in a warm, rich, soft, honeyed tone.

Colin i' agree completely. My home theater is a mash up. One wall is all star wars, I have 12 ss kits , one r2 one 3po and one sand trooper as well as helmets blasters etc. The others contain other models and my display cases of 2000 year old Roman Artefacts. I was going for the smoking room feel. Chesterfield couches , large Globe , a couple of roman busts as well as Shakespeare and Beethoven.

Star wars kinda took over. It's now more of a star wars museum with some old roman stuff in the corner.

Colin i' agree completely. My home theater is a mash up. One wall is all star wars, I have 12 ss kits , one r2 one 3po and one sand trooper as well as helmets blasters etc. The others contain other models and my display cases of 2000 year old Roman Artefacts. I was going for the smoking room feel. Chesterfield couches , large Globe , a couple of roman busts as well as Shakespeare and Beethoven.

Star wars kinda took over. It's now more of a star wars museum with some old roman stuff in the corner.

LOL!!!

Well, i have multiple large (10 foot) originals... they are what they are... and they are painful to install, care for, and move in general. In my view studio scale is studio scale, and not 1/2 the size to fit in your home.

I do have smaller pieces as well and many are truly beautiful but... not to my mind studio scale.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back