My newest Blade Runner found-item prop

Fetthunter

Sr Member
Today I added the newest addition to my Blade Runner prop collection. It's a found item, which makes it even better. :D

Spurred-on by Gabe's thread, I started my search for a "duck" Opium weight, much like his. I could find them all day long on eBay and in antique shops, but none came close to the screen-used "duck" Opium weight.

I threw myself into the world of Opium weights and Far-East antiques, and spent all of my "free time" for about 2 weeks learning about the weights, where they were made, when they were made, how they were certified by the government, etc.

I then learned something very important. Though the screen-used weight resembles a "duck" Opium weight (which do exist), the weight that was used is really not a "duck" at all. :confused

It's a mythical animal called a "Hintha bird". It's used in religion and culture in the area where the weights are made, and consequently, was eventually made into a weight (along with elephants, ducks, horses, etc.).

Armed with the knowledge of knowing what the animal really is, I went searching. I was able to locate one in the UK, and this morning I bought it... :cheers

Here's a pic of the weight a I bought, followed by a side-by-side comparison to the BR weight:

weightfront.jpg

weight%20comparison%202.jpg

Whatcha think? Close enough? :D

Many thanks to Gabe for finding out that it was an "Opium weight" to begin with and starting me on my search. :thumbsup

J

Originally posted by Nexus6@Jan 30 2006, 02:11 PM
WOW. Congrats.

That looks SPOT on.

*envy*  :angry  :D
[snapback]1171928[/snapback]​

Thanks. A •lot• of research and hunting went into finding that little sucker. l :D

Originally posted by Prop Runner+Jan 30 2006, 02:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop Runner @ Jan 30 2006, 02:11 PM)</div>
COPYCAT. :lol

I'm flattered by the tribute, but in all fairness it was Killdozer who discovered what the item was when he posted this photo:

post-6672-1129867113.jpg

in this thread:

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=98013

:)
[/b]

True, and I owe him too for finding the first one, but it was you and your thread that got me to start searching. ;)

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Jan 30 2006, 02:11 PM
And I see you've gone all serafino on us with the side-by-side comparison... :lol

I guess that's a good thing? I just made that graphic for my own benefit to convince myself to buy it. :lol I figured I'd post it so others could see what lead me to its purchase. :)

<!--QuoteBegin-Prop Runner
@Jan 30 2006, 02:11 PM
Seriously, nice score, and welcome to the Blade Runner Duck Pit Club  :thumbsup  :cheers :D

- Gabe
[snapback]1171929[/snapback]​

Heh. Is that anything like "Fight Club"? 1st rule of Duck Pit Club: You must own a "duck". 2nd rule of Duck Pit Club: don't talk about Duck Pit Club. :lol

Thanks, and I'll take more pics when it arrives. Great, now I'm nervous about it shipping over here from "across the pond". :confused

Originally posted by Fetthunter@Jan 30 2006, 01:05 PM
Heh.  Is that anything like "Fight Club"?  1st rule of Duck Pit Club:  You must own a "duck".  2nd rule of Duck Pit Club: don't talk about Duck Pit Club.  :lol
No, that would simply be "Duck Club." Or should I say: "Welcome to the Opium Duck Den." :lol Actually, when I posted I was thinking of "The Snake Pit" club in Bwade Wunnah:

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Taffey Lewis presents Miss Salome and the duck. Watch her take the pleasure from the fowl that once corrupted man."

:lol

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner+Jan 30 2006, 04:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prop Runner @ Jan 30 2006, 04:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Fetthunter
@Jan 30 2006, 01:05 PM
Heh.  Is that anything like "Fight Club"?  1st rule of Duck Pit Club:  You must own a "duck".  2nd rule of Duck Pit Club: don't talk about Duck Pit Club.  :lol
No, that would simply be "Duck Club." Or should I say: "Welcome to the Opium Duck Den." :lol Actually, when I posted I was thinking of "The Snake Pit" club in Bwade Wunnah:

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Taffey Lewis presents Miss Salome and the duck. Watch her take the pleasure from the fowl that once corrupted man."

:lol

- Gabe
[snapback]1172029[/snapback]​
[/b]

That's not EVEN right. :p

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back