Buffy, Orb of Thesulah - Factory X item pics

rad1701

Sr Member
I got this Orb of Thesulah made by Factory X last week. I like it, but there is a slight problem. The orb doesn't fit down low enough to put the cover on the container. Under the purple cloth I think is a piece of styrofoam to hold the orb in place. I probably could fix this myself but I was curious if anyone else got one of these yet and had a similar problem.

Orb_Thesulah1.jpg

Orb_Thesulah2.jpg

Not sure. But I'm pretty sure it's meant to be able to be covered. Especially seeing how low it sits in the box photo.

Unfortunately, thats the way its meant to be displayed... I've heard of afew people who carefully take out the liner and cut down the styrofoam to accomodate the orb, but when this happens, the display doesn't look as great.. Its a personal preference

The orb should sit firther down, yeah. Is the inner lid domed (it should be)? I made the damn thing, lol.... still don't have a production piece.

From the pics above, the inner lid does not appear to be domed to acommodate the orb the way it currently sits.

Speaking of Buffy props...has anyone picked up the Vampyr book yet?
Moff...you had a hand in that one as well didn't you?
I'm curious how the production version turned out.

I've been hearing of quality issues with the Vampyr book production pieces, and now the Orb can't even have the lid put on the case? Paint jobs have been reportedly poor on the Vampyr books, some received cracked covers. With MR's recent problems, I'm beginning to shy away from licensed pieces. What the hell is going on?

Off topic, but looking at that item, I have to ask, why can't United Cutlery, Noble Collection or even MR make a Palantir from LOTR? Without light effects, it's the same general idea. Just bigger, and black instead of white...

Originally posted by moffeaton@Jan 30 2006, 07:15 PM
The orb should sit firther down, yeah. Is the inner lid domed (it should be)? I made the damn thing, lol.... still don't have a production piece.
[snapback]1172127[/snapback]​

So moff this is based off your work? The lid only has a slight dome inside, not nearly enough to cover the orb. Personally I think the picture on the box is misleading if they meant it not to be able to be covered. But it sounds like moff says it was meant to be covered. I'm almost positive in the episode (have to check my DVD) that it was shown deeply recessed and covered in the wood box. The display would stay a lot nicer and more dust free that way too. I'll probably modify the piece myself then. It sounds like if I exchange it for another most likely it will have the same problem.

Can you do a 'tutorial' of sorts on modifying the inside? I'm tempted to get one, but I'd like to see what has to be done to make it more accurate or at least make the lid actually usable.

If there was some sort of a spring or soft foam below the orb, then it could push down with the lid but pop up when opened...

If there was some sort of a spring or soft foam below the orb, then it could push down with the lid but pop up when opened...

OO, that's a great idea.

Personally I thought this prop was way over priced. The real "Orb" was just a quartz sphere, so I looked one ebay, and got one, a lot like the real prop, for $20. shipped from china. :) (they had one I liked better, but didn't win the auction. :( ) I wasn't worried about the box, because you don't see it for more then a seen or two, but the orb you see a lot.

Here are photos of an original Orb I brokered sometime back for reference:

buffy_orb_of_thessulah_01.jpg

http://props.steinschneider.com/images/buffy_orb_of_thessulah_03.jpg[/imgd]

[img]http://props.steinschneider.com/images/buffy_orb_of_thessulah_cap_01.jpg

buffy_orb_of_thessulah_cap_04.jpg

buffy_orb_of_thessulah_cap_05.jpg

buffy_orb_of_thessulah_cap_10.jpg

buffy_orb_of_thessulah_cap_11.jpg

buffy_orb_of_thessulah_cap_12.jpg

Phil

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back