Krylon Premium Metallics spray paint (review)

greatgarlando

I saw this stuff at Hobby Lobby I don't know how new it is but it is new to me so bought a can of the Gold foil and Silver foil to try on a few projects. Wow I was blown away by this stuff for small projects it is very good. The only bad thing I have found is that it takes a really long time to dry (2 weeks:angry) Yea there are better chrome paints but for $3.00 U.S. a can The finish is pretty dang lustrous and reflective.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_...elid=8&productid=1785&content=product_details

Here are some photos

cheep e-bay Indy Idol

natural light
idolnat.jpg

Flash
idolflash.jpg

Episode 3 Comander Gree Helmet
IMG_0273.jpg

Close up so you can see the reflection of the sholderbell in the paint.
IMG_0271.jpg

Last edited:
How is the durability of the finish? Did you seal it with anything?
If not, does it hold onto finger prints?

How is the durability of the finish? Did you seal it with anything?
If not, does it hold onto finger prints?

Na, I did not seal it wit any thing I tried to put a clear coat on it but it took the luster off and made it drab so I had to repaint. After the paint sets up and drys like I said at least two weeks I haven't seen it take any prints of course I haven't been touching it much either.

Last edited:
Hmm, the helmet finish looks better than the idol. Looks like a few blisters on the surface. I've had this problem with the plasti-kote brilliant metallics. Must be something about the pigment.

Hmm, the helmet finish looks better than the idol. Looks like a few blisters on the surface. I've had this problem with the plasti-kote brilliant metallics. Must be something about the pigment.
Nah it is not paint blisters just imperfections in my prep work where I did not sand enough of the spot putty down. Imperfections so too well with this paint.

I used that stuff before and it does give a great finish. the donw side is if you paint over it you must use and accrilic pait or it will mix with the metal paint and really ruin your day.

Here is a shot of My boba Helmet that I used the silver on.

100_3369.jpg

100_3367.jpg

I have to say, that looks really nice! I had some Krylon metallic chrome paint, but it didn't do very well, took prints like crazy, never seemed to dry.
This could be a nice alternative to using AlClad on Terminator items.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back