Blue painters (masking) tape question.

Invicta

Sr Member
I have a question regarding blue painters tape, you know the stuff you put around window/door frames etc as a masking tape. I have the RPF blaster which I masked off several panels prior to painting.

Now due to work it's been a couple of months since I did anything to it, in fact it's in storage. My question is will the adhesive have any effect on the gray primer it's stuck to if it stays on much longer?

Thanks for any help,

Malcolm.

I don't think it will have any ill effect, but I would remove the tape, gently wash the blaster in warm soapy water, and re-mask it prior to painting.

Tape that old will probably not be very sharp on the edges and your paint will probably bleed under.

Most of the time if you buy blue painters tape, it'll either say inside the roll or just on the box that it was in the amount of time you have to pull it off. I usually get 14 day tape. But I've personally never taped anything up and put it away, I'm usually so ecstatic about finishing the masking that I got to get paint on it.

I've had it leave a pattern in the paint if left on too long.

Most of the time if you buy blue painters tape, it'll either say inside the roll or just on the box that it was in the amount of time you have to pull it off. I usually get 14 day tape. But I've personally never taped anything up and put it away, I'm usually so ecstatic about finishing the masking that I got to get paint on it.

Aww hell!! looks like I'm off to storage tomorrow, only hope I can find it before I cut open the 20th box. Trouble is it isn't with the rest of the props as it was a WIP....wonder if the wife has any idea which box it's in???.....God I hope so.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back