US to ban replica/toy firearms?...

Eagle

Sr Member
What happens in the UK eventually finds its way over to the States. Or something...

SECTION 1. BAN ON REALISTIC-LOOKING TOY HANDGUNS.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission shall promulgate a rule in accordance with section 9 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2058) to declare as a banned hazardous product under section 8 any toy which in size, shape, or overall appearance resembles a real handgun.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00428:

UKers, see also: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24445

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Well they can have my toy guns the same way they can have my real guns, from my cold dead fingers...

Or better yet, unloaded...

By firing them...

Rich

Sad thing about it is that after firing the toy gun you won't have done any damage but yeah you will probably be dead. ;)

(Not that this isn't serious--I wonder if the current trend toward statism is ever going to end. Note that the argument stopped being over whether to grow the state long ago, now it's just over what to do next...)

What happens in the UK eventually finds its way over to the States. Or something...
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00428:

UKers, see also: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=24445

Your thoughts?

Notice tho', that this piece of silliness doesn't even have a co-sponsor.
This kind of legislation doesn't have any chance until it is hidden on some other bill. And even there, the person pushing the real bill that a toy gun ban may get attached to, may not allow it for fear it would jeapordize passage of the bill it was piggybacked to. There are already industry standards for this stuff; colored toy guns and clear airsoft weapons.

Not that it can't happen, but America's "gun culture" means that knee-quaking over toy guns is mostly done by those so "civilized" they are out of touch with harsh reality.

Mike

This has been happening for years. Remember the good old days when you could buy a green m-16. Now the colors have to be bright so there's no way it can be mistaken for the real thing.

Gun Control: Hitting what you aim at.
Feminine Protection: AN S&W 38
Knowing which is a real gun and which is a toy.
Knowing which to play with and which to defend yourself with.
Knowing how many shots you have done and how many are left.
Knowing where your A) reloads are or B) your backup gun is.
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
"or overall appearance resembles a real handgun."

WTF writes these ambiguous Laws????? You could paint yer hand black and it would look like a gun. All a person has to do is hold up their hand with absolutely nothing in it, and peeps would think there was a gun in your hand.

Overal appearance? Resembles??? Comon, it either looks absolutely like a real gun, or it is not. Sci fi weaps shouldn`t even come into the same category. A prop would have to look like absolutely real weaps for their law to hold any water.

A Star Trek Phaser for example does not/should not fall under their criteria. The way they have it worded, they can do pretty well anything they want, just arbitrarilly decide that your totally resin and obviously non firing props is a threat to HomeLand security.

I remember shipping my carve of my AVP accurate large calibre shoulder cannon from Canada, to my good friend in Washington to mold/cast for me. This cannon was the Master, and it was made out of InterCell. A loose cell plastic.

Homeland Security decided they had to hold my cannon for a week. Even tho it was obviously plastic. Obviously futuristic looking. Obviously a non firing toy prop..... and described as such by me in the description.... they wasted tax payers money, and my time, and caused grief for my mold/cast buddy to boot.

The kicker is..... Airsoft products like Marui are HUGE in the U.S.. REAL weapons as well. Imho, if the U.S. is gonna ban replicas, they maybe should start with the ban of all REAL weapons 1st????? A ban on real weaps would actually be logical. Afterall, how many peeps are killed by resin props in the U.S. every year?

How about spending the money on a public service announcement that it is not a good Idea to wave around anything that could look like a real gun outside, because you might get shot DEAD. No need to enforce any law basically made to protect the law enforcement from being sued. That is all it is. Maybe they should just pass one basic common sense law, that if you sue for something that is the result of of the lack of common sense, you go to jail, or at least got what you deserved.

Stock up on toy guns now, just in case. :lol Or, just cast real ones in silicone & make your own with resin!! :thumbsup Just don't wave it around in public, otherwise you deserve what you get.

Part of the problem is that the criminals are kids now, and seem to get younger every year. The cops don't know if a 10 year old is packing a Glock or a squirt gun painted black that looks like a glock.

So, obviously they should be banning spray paint.

A ban on toy guns isn't going to stop cops from shooting the wrong people though. How many have they shot dead for holding combs, wallets, cell phones, and flashlights?

Now the colors have to be bright so there's no way it can be mistaken for the real thing.

Really? Designer finishes on real guns are getting more and more popular now that there are colored finishes that actually hold up...

duracoat_poisontreefrogmac11.jpg
DuraCoat_DidgitalClown.jpg

duracoatcolor61.jpg
duracoatcolor60.jpg
duracoatcolor59.jpg
duracoatcolor51.jpg
duracoatcolor20.jpg

These laws are just plain stupid at the core...

:eek
OK, now THAT is a problem. Make real guns look like toy guns? that puts even more pressure on the police to make the right decision on whether to shoot or not, the scenarios are too numerous to list. If there were a law to be passed, it should be one to NOT alter a real firearms appearance.

Just my
2 cents

Cheers,

Kraig

Last edited by a moderator:
Toy guns don't kill, politicians do!

Guess I have to take up a new hobby and not carve bars of soap to look like hand guns, they gonna take away my shoe polish now.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back