TIG welding, is it hard to learn?

LeMarchand

Sr Member
Is it hard to learn how to TIG weld? I always wanted to learn how to weld, and Tag welding seems like a very usefull technigue for propping, especially aluminium and brass. Is it something one can learn by himself or do you need a course.

Thanks,

Marc

Last edited:
Is it hard to learn how to TIG weld? I always wanted to learn how to weld, and Tag welding seems like a very usefull technigue for propping, especially aluminium and brass. Is it something one can learn by himself or do you need a course.

Thanks,

Marc

For very simple welds the mechanics of TIG welding aren't very difficult. However, like all weilding it takes alot of practice to get good and you have to train your hands and eyes.

Dan

Learning TIG kinda depends on your prior experience background. If you have prior experience with Oxy/Acet Torch welding you'll probably pick up TIG quicker, otherwise it will take longer to learn the hand/eye with foot coordination. If you do decide to pick it up TIG welding, taking a Vocational College class or learning from a welder on the side would be a good idea simply for the feedback of this is right or this is wrong & do this to correct it.

Ron Covell has a new DVD out titled "TIG Welding Basics" and can be gotten from Eastwood (car restoration tool buisness) for around $35-40. Lots of good info in there, including welding copper, & he shows common things that go wrong with the weld & what they look like. If you go at learning TIG alone it would be a good video for reference, Miller has online PDF's for basic welding procedures that are free also. Other than that go out and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks,

Marc

I have experience with SMAW (stick electrode), FCAW (flux cored wire), MIG (your everyday wire welding process), and TIG welding. I have been welding since I was 15 years old and have never taken a class or anything - I taught myself by practicing after work and during my lunch time.

Tig welding is one of the hardest welding proccess' to learn. It requires you to coordinate both hands and one foot all at the same time. You will need to hold the torch with one hand, the filler rod with the other hand, and your foot will control the 'heat' of the torch. It is possible to learn it yourself with lots of practice but don't expect overnight success as TIG welding is very hard to master. I can do steel and stainless steel very well, but have not really had enough practice with aluminum to be even remotely good at it. One other thing is cost. A TIG welder is much more expensive than a MIG welder. Expect to pay about 1000-1500 dollars just for a small starter machine, assortment of tungstens and filler rods, and your safety equipment. I fully recommend that you invest in an auto-darkening helmet if you TIG welding. It makes it so much easier. If you really want to give TIG welding a try, then I would suggest that you see if you can take a community college course first. This way you can see if you like it or not without buying the equipment first.

I use TIG , Arc, and MIG, I learned how to TIG the last , but it was the easiest to pick up on for me, probably because of welding for so long.

All I can say is give it a try, you will either like it or not, but it does make some great welds :)

for the prettiest and cleaned weld joints TIG is the way. you have infinit control of the joint and i have seen real artists doing xrayed stainless.
but like said before you use both hands and a foot.
also the inert gas {argon, etc } is most critial in this type welding.

john :cool

ive been a welder for 25 years, ive done TIG, Stick, Mig, just bout every type welding.

Tig welding isnt too hard, just have to learn not to stick the tungsten on the metal, and how to feed the rod with other hand, and work the gun around.

a lil coordination with the foot pedal for heat also.

i learned it in one day.

As said above, TIG welding is the hardest of the skills to learn..

I sell all kinds of welders on a daily basis, so had to learn every type of welding process.

Cost isn't an issue, if you want to weld mild & stainless, as a reasonably basic MMA (ARC) welder will do.. just add a valved (WP9) TIG torch to it, and off you go.

However, you won't have the joys of footpedal control, or HF startup. MMA sets use the 'scratch start' , or 'lift arc' process. Basically use either scratch the tungsten on the material, or touch down and lift up slightly to initiate the welding arc.

For Aluminium welding, you need an AC/DC set.... much more expensive, but once you get into it, is a great bit of kit to have... plus can make you a bit of cash on the side... There's always people out there wanting something fixed...lol.

Gas is definately the key element here too. Argon/Co2 gas that you usually use on MIG won't work very well. Best to use pure Argon, although there are other, more speciallised mixes out there which work even better.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back