Lighting the AMT/Ertl: AT-AT

Zaphod

Sr Member
I want to light up the "eyes" of this model. I'm thinking led's that plug in, by running the wires through the body, down the inside of a leg and into a base, where a switch would be.

I know nothing about wiring and don't have the soldering gear either.

Would someone be willing to assemble the wiring for me?

I'll cover the cost in supplies/shipping and as payment - give this Stormtrooper Troop Builder Set of 4. Figures are still sealed in the plastic packages they come in. 2 come with rifles and 2 come with blasters.

trooperbuilderset7ap.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

I also have one of these with the battery warning label, if you prefer.
trektek1.jpg

Couple thoughts here...

First, not to dash any aspirations (and I've seen this model lighted before), but at its size and scale, is it truly worth the effort?

Second, if you DO light it, I'd imagine a single LED would do it, and 'm not entirely sure what you are offering as compensation is comensurate (though its a very nice offer.)...

Just open feed back here -- I respect all modeler's and they're ideas, and I LOVE you're avatar. ;)

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jan 27 2006, 09:53 PM
Couple thoughts here...

First, not to dash any aspirations (and I've seen this model lighted before), but at its size and scale, is it truly worth the effort?

Second, if you DO light it, I'd imagine a single LED would do it, and 'm not entirely sure what you are offering as compensation is comensurate (though its a very nice offer.)...

Just open feed back here -- I respect all modeler's and they're ideas, and I LOVE you're avatar.  ;)
[snapback]1170111[/snapback]​

I know it's a small model, but I thought that it'd spruce it up a bit. I had been considering some reflective tape, instead of lights, but, well...I love LED's.

As for compensation, I really don't know what the labor for such a task is worth. I figured that for someone who knew wiring, it wouldn't take much time.

Last I checked those troopers go for at least $20 and the gun I believe I paid $30 for.

A single LED will light the head just fine.
I had one in my model.
Only problem I had was I attached it to a 9volt with no resisters. :eek

Needless to say, the LED blew up sending nifty smoke pouring out of the seams of the head and burning the back of the pilots helmet. :D

If you don't know about resistors (which I don't) I'm sure that either someone here or at a store like radio shack can help you to pick the one you need.

If all else fails find a toy or gadget with an LED that you can gut and use in your model.
Splicing in extra wire is easy enough to do even without soldering.

D6

Originally posted by combatser+Jan 30 2006, 07:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(combatser @ Jan 30 2006, 07:42 PM)</div>
I would be happy to do it for you.  I could always use the Storm Troopers for my Army.  :)  Email me direct.. combatser@ameritech.net
[snapback]1172146[/snapback]​
[/b]

Email on it's way. :D

Originally posted by slave1pilot@Jan 31 2006, 03:02 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-PHArchivist
@Jan 27 2006, 06:53 PM
I LOVE you're avatar.  ;)
[snapback]1170111[/snapback]​

We have a similar pic promoting "Imperial Commandos"
wittle.jpg

:love
[snapback]1172438[/snapback]​
Thank you and yours is "Impressive...Most impressive."

My pic was a found thing. I'm betting that you know the model for yours though and are being selfish by not sharing more pics of her. :p

Originally posted by Zaphod@Jan 31 2006, 07:46 AM
  My pic was a found thing. I'm betting that you know the model for yours  though and are being selfish by not sharing more pics of her.  :p
[snapback]1172596[/snapback]​

You'd win that bet.
Been married to her since 87, so the really good pictures are for me. :love

Originally posted by slave1pilot@Jan 31 2006, 12:31 PM
You'd win that bet.
Been married to her since 87, so the really good pictures are for me. :love
[snapback]1172669[/snapback]​
You're a lucky man. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(combatser @ Jan 30 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1172146[/snapback]</div>
I would be happy to do it for you. I could always use the Storm Troopers for my Army. :) Email me direct.. combatser@ameritech.net
[/b]
So....I send Chris the exclusive troopers, the model and money for parts.

He tells me that he received it on February 27th.

He still hasn't started on this, even after claims of being nearly ready to ship.

I write to him and ask for everything to just be returned and after the 2nd time asking; I get this:

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Fine I will send your stuff back as soon as I have time. Keep pushing me and I will smash it all.
Chris W[/b]

Nice guy huh?

Here's his business website: www.NightstalkerCustoms.com

<div class='quotetop'>(Zaphod @ Jul 7 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]1276016[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(combatser @ Jan 30 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1172146[/snapback]
I would be happy to do it for you. I could always use the Storm Troopers for my Army. :) Email me direct.. combatser@ameritech.net
[/b]
So....I send Chris the exclusive troopers, the model and money for parts.

He tells me that he received it on February 27th.

He still hasn't started on this, even after claims of being nearly ready to ship.

I write to him and ask for everything to just be returned and after the 2nd time asking; I get this:

<div class='quotetop'></div>
Fine I will send your stuff back as soon as I have time. Keep pushing me and I will smash it all.
Chris W[/b]

Nice guy huh?

Here's his business website: www.NightstalkerCustoms.com
[/b][/quote]

Nice.... :unsure ...what a dick. Someone to stay clear of....

I hope you get your stuff back in one piece....

What an idiot, unfortunatly it makes you not want to even trust people on these boards.
What a dick..

Bring on the torchs, he brought it on him self.

Lynn

Damn. What a *******.
Didn't you do a refrence check on him first?
I mean he doesn't have many posts. Usually, scalpers and scammers will have low posts even if they joined when the forum first opened. They only post when they see a scam opertunity.

Dang.. bummer..

Look.. wiring upp 1 or 2 leds is not that hard. If you can boil pasta you can wire a LED. But here are a few pointers. (Free of charge)

The voltage of the battery should NEVER exced that of the SUM of the volatge of ALL the LEDS.
So i'f you've got a 9 V battery hooked up to one 1,5 V LED.. it's gonna blow. This is why you need resitors to make upp for the difference. So always try to have a bit less (or exactly) juice on the battery than the LED requires.

If you buy a LED at a store it should state how much voltage is required to run it. They are usually in the 1 to 5V range. depending on make and size.. and if they blink or not. (contains a bimetal circuit)

Any LED that you buy usually has two legs. (unless it's one of those LEDs that can change colour in which case they have three leggs) What is important to remmember is that the LONG leg is Positive and the SHORT leg is negative. Why is this important? Becuase if you wire it the wrong way it wont light up. No matter how hard you pray.

Now. so you don't have any soldering equipment. While this is recommended it is not nessicery. peel the wires so you've got a good half inch of naked wire. Wrap it around the approbiate leg as tight as possible and get a good layer of blakelectrical tape to insulte it. Repeat with the other leg. Remmeber. The leggs of the wire should not touch becuase this will cause a short curcuit. (sp??) the same goes for everything else.
When connecting to wires repeat the procedure. peel of a good halfinch off and twist the ends together. and tape it good. For extra safety you can always fold the twisted part parallell to the wire and tape it.

have i been confusing enough?

It truly is as simple as TK0518 made it out to be. At Radio Shack and at most Frys electronics there are assortments of LEDÂ’s with the resistor built in. You would just need to observer the polarity and battery voltage. I am sure that any number of us would be happy to help free of charge. I would have if I had been here when the original deal went down. If push comes to shove you can mail the parts to me and I can solder them up and return them. It literally takes longer to warm up the iron than to do the job.

Here is a simple link for soldering:

www.robotstore.com/download/How_to_solder_1.pdf

Here is one for LEDÂ’s in general:

www.jaycar.com.au/images_uploaded/ Using%20LEDs%20-%20Its%20easy%20(JA).pdf –

There are also a number of groups doing flashers and like for R2Â’s that can be adapted to these things if you want yours to flash. There are also LEDÂ’s with the flasher built in. With those you just need the resistor, LED and battery clip. A small on/off switch is nice as well.

One last thing are the surface mount LEDs. I have a snow speeder on my list. One of the MPC models. I am going to use the surface mount ones for that project. They can be powered by AA , AAA or even lithium buttons.

Bobby

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back