Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios

This will be a series of experimental films available for free viewing on YouTube, some of which they hope to make into feature films in the future.

Here are some tweets from Neill Blomkamp on the idea and their goal with Steam for Oats Studios.

18664272_10155268612782243_1759701054966172691_n.png

Well, I guess if Sigourney can't make an Aliens films with Neill, she'll make something else with him. That has Aliens in it. And corridors. And big rifles. And Dakota Fanning looking a bit like a grown up Newt, hauling around a guy with bandages on his face like she did in Aliens.

:)

Looks really interesting. Can't wait to see what it's all about.

Isnt this just ALIEN 5 anyway? It`s got Ripley, Newt, Hick`s, Aliens and stuff blowing up!

Although its been donuts since District 9, I like his stuff and this has got me interested for sure.

Good grief that was DARK and GRUESOME !!!!!

Visually stunning but not an original bone in all its bodies. Its as if the Predator movie had been spliced in with the Terminator and had this totally ****ed up child. The VFX are next level, and I would really liked to have seen what he'd have done with an Alien film ,maybe Fox need to fire Ridley and give Neil a shot at the title. But he has stolen so many ideas from everywhere I'd be amazed if we got anything really different, just something that seemed very fan fiction.

Last edited:
Good grief that was DARK and GRUESOME !!!!!

Visually stunning but not an original bone in all its bodies. Its as if the Predator movie had been spliced in with the Terminator and had this totally ****ed up child. The VFX are next level, and I would really liked to have seen what he'd have done with an Alien film ,maybe Fox need to fire Ridley and give Neil a shot at the title. But he has stolen so many ideas from everywhere I'd be amazed if we got anything really different, just something that seemed very fan fiction.
Yeah but whats original now a days? I feel like the base ideas arent original, but its the execution that matters. I watched the other trailer, with Alec Gillis from Stuido ADI. I love that guy! :lol

Past tense narration always breaks any tension in a piece of media for me. The whole time I wanted characters to just move forward and tell the story through actions and dialogue instead of an omniscient narrator dumping exposition over the entire run time.

I thought it was fantastic. You know, after Chappie I told myself if he makes another "cyberslum" movie with people picking tech out of piles of garbage I might not ever forgive him. But I did. The grim story worked for me. The slow motion meatsplosions and kids loading rifle magazines. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for that sort of imagery in a story.

This had, I suspect, a lot of recycled props and costumes from his past films. It was very derivative. I gotta' agree with CutThumb on that. But I didn't find it off putting. Even though a future war Kyle Reese would have felt right at home in some of those sets, and at other times it felt like a half mutated Wikus could have run through frame with a big orange and white gun, I enjoyed it.

And it was just cool to see Signorney in this role.

Sorry, but that was just stupid. Now granted, I don't like Blomkamp's stuff in general, I hate the whole "cyberslum" thing, I hate the alien invasion thing, where the aliens are supposedly technologically advanced enough to lay waste to the world but they run around naked and are really downright stupid, this is what he does in almost every movie. Now visually, it's a technically beautiful piece of cinema, but story-wise, it's crap. Come up with a new shtick, please.

Past tense narration always breaks any tension in a piece of media for me. The whole time I wanted characters to just move forward and tell the story through actions and dialogue instead of an omniscient narrator dumping exposition over the entire run time.

This was my problem with it. 20 minutes of continuous narration is really grating. I sat through 6 minutes and just had to forward through the rest and nothing changed beyond that first 6 minutes. CG VFX I wouldn't say is "gorgeous" but for what it is, it's impressive on that level.

Sorry, but that was just stupid. Now granted, I don't like Blomkamp's stuff in general, I hate the whole "cyberslum" thing, I hate the alien invasion thing, where the aliens are supposedly technologically advanced enough to lay waste to the world but they run around naked and are really downright stupid, this is what he does in almost every movie. Now visually, it's a technically beautiful piece of cinema, but story-wise, it's crap. Come up with a new shtick, please.
Im pretty sure just because you dont like it doesnt mean its stupid. I for one thought it was great, and would love a full feature film. Loved the practical effects as well. Its 20 minutes of story to get studios interested in making a big think, a la district nine. I saw it as an extended trailer. What was so stupid about the aliens? That they dont have armor on? Maybe there is an explanation as to why that is. Do you have any idea how hard it is to "come up with a new shtick"? The only one of his movies I havent seen is Elysium. But man. If this turns out to be a feature film Ill be the first in line. Sigourney Weaver believes in it, it cant be all that bad.

Im pretty sure just because you dont like it doesnt mean its stupid. I for one thought it was great, and would love a full feature film. Loved the practical effects as well. Its 20 minutes of story to get studios interested in making a big think, a la district nine. I saw it as an extended trailer. What was so stupid about the aliens? That they dont have armor on? Maybe there is an explanation as to why that is. Do you have any idea how hard it is to "come up with a new shtick"? The only one of his movies I havent seen is Elysium. But man. If this turns out to be a feature film Ill be the first in line. Sigourney Weaver believes in it, it cant be all that bad.

You're welcome to like it. I didn't. As Blomkamp has said, he gets lost in the details. He's just not very good at believable stories. He wasn't in District 9, he wasn't in Elysium and he wasn't in Chappie. All of his aliens are the same. Most of his settings are the same. As I said, you're more than welcome to like whatever you want, you are not welcome to tell other people that they must as well.

You're welcome to like it. I didn't. As Blomkamp has said, he gets lost in the details. He's just not very good at believable stories. He wasn't in District 9, he wasn't in Elysium and he wasn't in Chappie. All of his aliens are the same. Most of his settings are the same. As I said, you're more than welcome to like whatever you want, you are not welcome to tell other people that they must as well.
I just dont think you should call it stupid just cause you dont like it. If you dont like it, whatever, thats fine, but to call it stupid is kind of ridiculous. Believable stories? About aliens? I dont understand what you mean by "he wasnt in district 9". I dont recall seeing in any of my posts that I told you that you had to like it. I dont think you should call it stupid though just because you didnt care for it. Seems kind of ignorant to me but whatevs.

NeillBlomkamp: I guess the entire idea for Rakka is born out of the hawking philosophy of not actively "calling" extraterrestrials to our planet- sci-fi

NeillBlomkamp: Title of film1..Rakka is Japanese 落下 it means "fall" which I applied to humanity in this world. Built on Stephen hawkings don't call aliens

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back